Unlimited access >

18 month colt growth

I’ll bet his sire is Grandom. I’ll bet he really does have a nice temperament.

I’ll also bet you’ll be very very lucky if he finishes over 16hh.

Argo yes :slight_smile: he has an incredible temperament. I’m really hoping around 15.2-15.3hh. I got the official pony stick on him and his withers are 14.3hh and bum just over 15hh so I think he will end up right where I was hoping :slight_smile: he’s the best yearling so easy and cuddly.

I purchased a coming 2 year old that only grew another inch. Both parents were 16H, my filly ended up 14.2, breeding is crazy!

I had a similar situation. Purchased at 18m and she was about 15-15.1h. Finished 15.2 MAX on a tall day. So who knows what they decide to do! Lol

I am intrigued to know how this is going. I have friesian sporthorses and full friesian horses. My current riding gelding I was considering selling as I thought he would not reach mature height. At 2 he was about 14:3, I assumed he would barely nudge 15:1 at maturity. By six he was 15:2 and then had a growth spurt shortly after he is now 16:1 at 8 - slow growing.

I now have a four year old friesian knabstrupper who I didn’t geld until he was 18 months old and am wondering how he will turn out. (also questioning if the later geld impacts growth) He is just 15hh at the moment and as gangly as a 2 year old so will now that he has been started I will spell him for another 6 or more months to ensure he is mature enough to start basic working. Finally, I have a full friesian mare who is 15:1 in foal (due in 15 days eek!) to a 16:2hh warmblood, so the mystery will continue. Good luck!

Gelding a colt young, usually will give him more height when finished growing. Lack of testosterone doesn’t close the knees at a young age, so it goes into height instead of stallion muscling.

We geld our colts at a full year of age, sometimes later, to keep the height shorter. Knees are pretty much closed by then. We do NOT want huge, tall horses that keep growing as 6-7 yr olds! Ours continue growing, developing without getting beyond 17H, until about 7yrs old. They are big boned, which takes extra time to get solid in the spine.

String test has never worked well for me. I have 2 older horses who should still be growing by the string test!