Unlimited access >

2021 stallions deaths…. Added 2022

Rock Hard Ten’s death appears to have been due to something acute and neurological according to an account in Paulick.

Through the KRA’s Alastair Middleton, the farm issued the following statement to the Paulick Report:

“Rock Hard Ten was observed unable to stand in his paddock. He was moved to the equine hospital where he underwent treatment but he sadly died within 24 hours.”

Kris S died at 20 from a neck issue and Arch dropped dead at 21. I don’t think that there’s any Stallion killing conspiracy involved. :wink:

Ferdinand is always on my mind, but I simply mentioned it in an abundance of caution…

A mare by Rock Hard Ten and a mare by Arch just went through the sale at Keeneland.

2 Likes

Gilded Time passed away. From Bar None Ranches, where he was pensioned:

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the peaceful passing of Gilded Time on December 2nd, 2021 due to the infirmities of old age. He was just one month shy of his 32nd birthday. As much a champion in the breeding shed as much he was on the track, the Breeders cup and Eclipse Champion leaves us a legacy list of progeny as long as his famous forelock, including our Gayego. Bred by Harry T. Mangurian Jr., he was out of the mare Gilded Lilly and sired by Timeless Moment. He was purchased by the partnership of Jack & Mark Silverman and television writer/producer David Milch, and sent into training with Darrell Vienna. Described as “undefeated chestnut speedball”, Gilded Time had a brief but extremely successful racing career, earning $975,980 in just six starts. Gilded Time was purchased by Bar None Ranches in 2007, coming to Alberta from Vinery Stud (Kentucky). He was already a world traveler; having successfully shuttled to Australia and Brazil for multiple seasons. He settled in quickly to his new role as “King of the Farm”, and undeniably raised the bar for stallions in not only Alberta but for Western Canada as well. He gave us many exciting winners to cheer for, including the great homebred Silver Baubles. As a pensioned horse, Gilded Time enjoyed his retirement, with every want and whim catered to by breeding manager Shaun Rathy. Even in his twilight years, he was known for his sprints and bucking performances upon being turned out into his paddock, where he was able to watch each year’s new foal crop and oversee the other horses from “his hill”. He will be greatly missed by Rathy, her team, and the entire Bar None Ranches family. “Somewhere… somewhere in time’s own space, there must be some sweet pastured space where creeks sing on, and tall trees grow, Some paradise where horses go. For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again.” — Stanley Harrison

Sorry for the wall of text. I can never get the block quote to work correctly. But I thoroughly enjoyed watching him thrive at Bar None Ranches through their social media. He seemed like the happiest of dudes.

8 Likes

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/breeders-cup-classic-winner-alphabet-soup-dies/

Oh no! I just love the Cozzene line. Now just Mizzen Mast left, and he has been retired from breeding. :cry:

1 Like

While it’s 2022, didn’t figure we needed a new thread.

Speightster Euthanized Due to Stall Accident 🥲

No article on this (why?) but Get Stormy passed away yesterday according to Twitter. He was only 16. :cry: (Also my favorite horse in Kentucky)

His advertisements are still running on all my feeds.

2 Likes

Found an article:

My heart horse died like that. :cry:

4 Likes

Crestwood notified mare owners with contracts to Get Stormy before the article was released publicly. The right thing to do, really…if my mare was booked to him, I’d rather hear about it from the farm first than read about it in the TDN.

3 Likes

So sorry for your loss. It’s always horrible, but suddenly and unexpectedly seems even worse. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Go For Gin has died at the Kentucky Horse Park at age 31. Silver Charm is now the oldest living Derby winner, at 28.

4 Likes

Oh man. I think that might be the last of the Eastern Echo line. Incredible sport horses.

2 Likes

Grindstone is still kicking at 29 out in Oregon.

1 Like

I looked to see if he had any sons standing and I think you’re right. There aren’t any, not in the stallion register of the BloodHorse anyway.

Sad to say, I just read that Grindstone has passed.

He was Unbridled’s very first foal to hit the ground.

2 Likes

The article is lovely. He was so well taken care of in his old age.

2 Likes

An update of sorts on Laoban. From the article, he “died after being given vitamin and mineral supplements”. Did someone miscalculate and give him too much of something?