2024 Hay

We are getting close to doing some haying. Our main crop is divided into four fields, so we don’t do it all at once. We stagger them, maybe a few days or a week apart, as the weather forecast dictates. Our main crop is alfalfa/grass mix. Then we have these other little bits and pieces of fields, that are of my own doing, had never been hayed before we bought this place and moved here… low pasture, close to the creek, so we don’t irrigate these spots. But they had potential. And they are now little hayfields. DH cuts them for me, and I get the rest of it done, sequentially. It’s all natural grasses, nothing seeded. I have this mare that can’t eat alfalfa (gets colic on alfalfa- it took me forever to figure this one out) and this is done for her. The first of these little fields is/was the dumping ground for the excavation for the indoor arena… it’s all topsoil. But was a huge pile of topsoil for the first few years, which grew all sort of crap and weeds, surrounded by willow swamp, fallen logs, and general detritus, and old beaver workings. Otherwise known as “a mess”. I cleaned that crap up. All of it. Burned what was burnable. Then called in a bulldozer, and eventually we levelled the pile of topsoil, since no one wanted to buy it. So it’s a hayfield now, instead of a disaster area. Eureka! Made me happy!!! So we’ve been haying this little field for several years now, and this year… the grass in there is shoulder high (on me). It’s timothy, orchard grass etc. And my grass hay eating horse reports that it’s just lovely!!! It’s her favourate field to source hay from. It’s only an acre or two. My special potato garden takes up one corner of this area, where I can water it from the arena hydrant. The rest of the grass fields were previously grazed by some cattle I think, there were some cow bones in there from cows that didn’t survive the winter. It was all pretty rough when we started running equipment over it (sitting on the tractor was a bit like riding a bucking bronc) but it’s levelled out a bit over the years. Parts of it are weedy, and I gave the worst of it away last year to a friend who was attempting to survive the upcoming winter (substantial winter) in an RV trailer, semi remote… to fill in and insulate the underneath of the trailer so that perhaps she did not freeze to death. She survived. A tough woman. I’ve used some of it for bedding some years, but the horses eat it anyway, so I feed it if there’s nothing better to do with it. I sold some as fat pony hay a couple of times. It’s not great quality hay, some weeds of different types, but nothing detrimental. Then it all grows back after haying, and my retirees graze it again before winter sets in.

Our good fields are much better stuff, about 30% alfalfa, which we round bale, use for winter feed, and sell the excess. We only take the one cut usually, and graze the second growth in winter. We did take an abbreviated second cut last year, and regretted it. It did not get dry enough to round bale, which pisses the DH off big time. So I small squared it, and picked it up and put it in the barn. Sold some, fed the rest. It was fine, in small squares. Would have rotted or fermented in round bales.

I look forward to haying time of year. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment. But I’ve bought hay for so many years previous to this, never knowing what I was buying, trusting a hay salesman, and I really LIKE “knowing” what does, and does not go into each bale. Our hay is truly beautiful.

I’m itching to get going on it!!! A few weeks from now, I’ll be happy that it’s done for the year.

3 Likes

SusanO Thanks for pointing out the possible clippings in bales result. I had not thought of that. We do cut the grass high, but still possible to sweep clippings up with the baler.

We have been talking about the many things we dealt with this year haying. Quite possibly we just won’t cut the pasture next year. Last year the pasture hay behaved itself and we needed it! Ha ha I think even if second cutting is skimpy, we will be fine this year.

I do feel bad about having to burn bad bales, seems so wasteful, but it is unusable and hot. No woods to put it in. We certainly are not the only ones “caught with our hay down” when the surprise rains came. Saw a LOT of fields that had hay down and brown from the rain, as we drove to visit a friend yesterday.

I have dragged all the fields to get stuff off, trimmed the rough places the mower had a hard time getting thru. They look ready to go for second cutting growth. We even got a quick shower to water the grass. Bale/brush pile fire is still smoking a little now and then, did a good job reducing the bad hay bales to almost nothing. Sure was easier to handle baled than loose hay!

It seems quite a few people did get hay in successfully, no shortage for sale in ads. The auction sale prices were awful for sellers, great for buyers last Saturday. Small squares were 50 cents to $1 a bale on sale results. No information on cutting, age or type of hay sold. Round bales $20 to $40. Again, no age, size or type of hay in those bales.

We procured our hay for this year last night. We’re very lucky to have great neighbours who grow and supply fantastic hay that our horses love. Prices still aren’t great here in Alberta, but they’re not hateful either - we’re at around $120 CDN per 1100lb round bale made of about 25% alfalfa and 75% Timothy/Brome mix. That includes delivery and unloading on our property too. Some bales will be heavier on alfalfa, which we don’t mind - we have Standardbreds who need that extra oomph.

We also managed to get TWO round bales off our poorly managed 10 acres. This fall, we’ll be disking and doing a bunch of TLC on the land that the previous owner didn’t do. The ground is so packed and depleted that it barely grows. Hopefully, we’ll be able to get a better yield next year. The goal is to farm the 10 acres and get some good sized squares off it to supplement the rounds we buy.

1 Like

You might try using a tractor sized roto-tiller instead of discing. You can set them for various depths in turning the soil. We rented one when we purchased our hayfields which had not been touched in 20 years after the farmer died. Had a LOT of land clearing to do after purchase. Not worked, not fertilized, just hayed before that for 20 years

I went over the fields, also 10 acres, twice in low range. Going slow allowed tiller to do a better job of digging in and breaking up our hard clay soil into nice, fluffy, garden type dirt for planting grass seed. Seeds had very good germination for us.

We got it soil tested, where the fertilizer supply man said it was the WORST soil test he had ever seen!! He suggested several spaced out fertilizer applications, because we needed so much. The land would not be able to use so much if applied in one application. Fertilizer would wash away, getting into the river, wasting our money. I think we did 4 applications to get all the needed fertilizer on without wasting any. One in the fall after seeding was growing, not much nitrogen because plants would not need it going into winter. The needed nitrogen was mixed into the other 3 applications in April, early June and late August, all spread with rain predicted.
I mowed the fields twice, to a 6 inch height, not allowing grass to set seed. Cutting high, promoted better root development for stronger plants, over leaf growth that first year. Seed was a mix of Orchard, Timothy, Bluegrass (great sod to prevent sinking into the clay dirt), some Rye. We are Mid-Michigan, these grasses do well up here.

I soil tested the fields again the next spring, getting much better results and fertilized that spring again. 2nd full year we owned it. That was the first year we cut hay off. So a 3 year plan to get it productive. I soil test every other year now, fertilize yearly according to the soil test. You remove needed nutrients when you cut and remove the hay. Soil needs those minerals replaced to stay productive, and keeping your hay nutritious. Our hay tests very well though being all grasses, the NSC (sugars) can be high if you need to be careful with your horses. We keep our horses trim, not allowed to get fat, so we have no sugar issues to deal with.

A tip with fertilizer is to ask for Ammonium Sulfate as your Nitrogen source when they mix your “fertilizer recipe”. I follow my order thru the plant to make sure no one puts Urea in because it is the usual Nitrogen source. Have to be pesky at times! Ha ha You DO NOT want to use Urea on fields used for animal grazing or hay. It can cause Urea Poisoning for all hooved animals, laminitus!! The Ammonium Sulfate cost the same as Urea here, with extra benefits! It won’t vaporize (wasted money, no benefits) like Urea does if you can’t get rain quickly after spreading or if you can’t get it spread immediately. Adds Sulphur to the soil. Causes no reaction to grazing animals, though I always wait until after a good rain before grazing the field.

Best of luck getting your acreage back into “good health” for hay and pasture usage!

1 Like

We tried a tractor sized rototiller - that’s when we discovered the soil was hardpan and the rototiller barely even made a dent. We ended up doing a quick couple passes with a smaller disk and it helped break up the soil this spring. Come fall, we’ll use a large breaking disk to really get in there. Our neighbor suggested seeding oats next year since they can help add some extra nutrients into the soil, so that might be our plan.

We’ll work at it for a couple years and if we can’t get a decent hay yield by Year 3, we’ll just pasture it off and rotate horses through since the grass does grow… just not as well as it needs to for good hay yield.

1 Like

We cut the second of the little grass fields yesterday. Timothy grass, shoulder high in there. It will take a few days to dry. The first grass field is baled and in the barn, it’s nice. Then two more little bits of grass field to go after that. Half of the alfalfa/grass crop is done, most of it is already in the barn, round baled. Two more of those fields to get done. Our creek is fading fast, we are hoping to get one cover of water onto these cut fields before there will be no more irrigating done around here as everything dries out. We are not burning here yet, but it could start any time. A lightening strike just south of us yesterday is burning, pictures of it on facebook this morning. It’s very dry around here now. Horses are all out on low pasture.

2 Likes

Well roto-tiller was an idea. Wasn’t sure what kind of dirt you had. We spent a lot of time clearing our fields of trees and shrubs. It wanted to be forest again! After clearing it was fall, with damp dirt to plant in. The roto-tiller did a great job tearing up weeds, roots, husband had pulled tree roots when removing trees, previous to tilling things. Then mowing the next year prevented weed regrowth.

If discing works better, go for it! My fertilizer guy warned me against doing much dicing with my small equipment, saying it could form a hardpan layer at the disc depth. This would prevent water absorbing, cause faster water runoff, prevent deeper hay grass/pasture grass root growth. We don’t plow or own a plow should I cause that hardpan layer in the clay dirt.

We do spread our sawdust bedding from stalls on both the hay fields and pastures during the year. Hay fields from fall to about March 1st, then on pastures the rest of the time. Then fields dragged after haying, early spring and pastures gets dragged after a couple mowing times with a chain harrow. I call it “combing the grass!” Ha ha I strongly believe this bedding application has helped improve our dirt a great deal over the years. Sawdust breaks down slowly, protecting the soil, gets between the clay particles to provide air to plant roots and food for microbial life in the soil, prevent rain sheeting rapidly off the fields so water can be better absorbed. Dirt is now full of worms, other things, usually a bit crumbly instead of clay you can make bricks with! Woody stuff is much longer lasting during breaking down than straw bedding spread on fields, so is a better choice here. Sure glad not to have Sandy soil, that is so hard to keep “fed” with soil additives and watered because it drains so quickly! Some friends have to deal with Sandy soil.

Hope your fields respond well to your work on them. Sounds like they will get useful again in your hands. Every location has their own issues with dirt and weather you have to work around.

southern manitoba here, there was a lot of winter kill of the alfalfa due to the weird flip flopping weather over the winter, grass hay is epic. Has been raining large amounts every 2 or 3 days and soil is saturated so farmers are having a heck of a time getting on the fields to cut it, never mind get enough dry weather to bale. Got about 3/4 of my hay into the hayshed about 10pm last night, was just starting thunder as hay guy left and more storms over night and this morning.

I spread and dump stall cleanings on the far end of the big pasture. It only has one horse on it so she doesn’t go there. Boy that grass is so much greener and lusher than the rest of the field. Even the guy that mows my field commented on it. It also grows better grass than the front part of the field - I actually have orchard grass out there as opposed to bahia. I have spread a little lime out there but mostly it is the gold plated poop. I want to keep the deer out there grazing and out of my yard.

3rd cut alfalfa was down yesterday. Primo hay this yr.

ETA not my hay. It’s a cattle operation.

1 Like

Do you have a source for this? I’ve never heard of this…. Thank you.

1 Like

I made my hay run on July 3rd when the chance of showers was low. It was a LONG trip due to a wreck outside of Chattanooga (which is a construction nightmare on the best of days). But the hay is a gorgeous second cutting timothy/OG blend. No stems, all leaf and beautiful color and smell. Almost as nice as western hay. Definitely worth the trip. It looks like Tennesse is having a really good hay year based on the ads on the Tennessee hay FB page.

I wish so much I had better hay storage in this humid corner of the world because I would have loved to get enough to take me until next spring. Even with the hay packed into bundles I don’t think it would last that long without getting musty. I long for the days when I co-oped where we had a good hayloft and hay lasted longer than stored at ground level. But I don’t long for the days when we had to get the hay up there. We did have a hay elevator - it could only handle one bale at a time, but it was a lifesaver.

1 Like

Looking up Urea Poisoning should find the information you want. Husband the Farrier was called in to deal with resulting laminitis after pasture fertilizing. He had to ask questions about “What recently changed in your horse’s world?” to find the root cause. Not getting into feed, no feed change in hay or grain. But we did have the pasture fertilized a week ago!

Hooved Animals may not have problems after using Urea, but the chance is there. This is a WELL KNOWN, problem issue to fertilizer folks. The alternative of Ammonium Sulfate is MUCH safer, causing no known problems per the Fertilizer guy. Cost is similar, not an added expense if you already plan to fertilize pastures and hayfields.

Husband was adamant about NOT using Urea as a fertilizer component on our farm. Fertilizer Service man told me about the Ammonium Sulfate when I said “no urea”. But unless YOU bring up the Urea Poisoning issue, no alarm goes off for them! One of those “Consumer Beware” things where YOU need to get informed about side effects and details when using products. Urea Poisoning can affect ALL hooved animals causing a laminitus effect. Includes the common farm animals, horses, donkeys, cattle, sheep, goats and probably any exotics, deer, camels, llamas, alpacas, etc.

Nutritionist here chiming in to correct misinformation: Horses are actually less sensitive to urea toxicity than ruminant animals. Ruminants can utilize urea (up to a point) to synthesize essential amino acids, and it is often added to ruminant feed products for that purpose; nonruminant animals, on the other hand, just excrete it unused. I am aware of no reported cases of urea toxicity caused by appropriate use of urea as a fertilizer or any link to laminitis. Rapidly growing, lush pasture could of course cause laminitis in susceptible animals, but that is not directly caused by the type of fertilizer used. https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/1996/winter/ammonia.shtml

We had a pretty wet spring here, until around the middle of May, so first cutting hay crops were probably average to good. It’s been very, very dry since then, though. Hopefully we start getting some rain soon.

I just secured my hay supply for the year, and my hay guy is currently one of my very favorite people on the planet: no price increase from last year! Orchardgrass (avg. 55-60 lbs. bales) at $8.50/bale and alfalfa (avg. 60-65 lbs. bales) at $10.00 bale, delivered and stacked in my loft. :smiley:

3 Likes

We are partway through haying here. The hay is fantastic, just lovely. Our crop is somewhat less than we hope for, need more fertilizer I guess. Our weather has been so dry, and we’ve been irrigating religiously, and our creek is WAY down, drying out. We have several water thieves upstream from us, and that isn’t helping. But basically, it’s just the dryness of the environment at fault here. Drought. Our alfalfa/grass hay is looking fantastic. My second little grass field is cut and drying, I’m gonna turn it today, and probably bale it either this afternoon, or tomorrow. Then two more of those to do. We have one more alfalfa/grass field to bale, that will also happen today. We’ve got lots for our horses, and some to sell too. I ended up with quite a bit of grass small squares left over from last year, so with that added to this year’s crop, I’m gonna sell some of this years grass crop… I don’t usually do that. But there’s too much to keep!!! There’s 25 or so round bales of alfalfa/grass left over from last year too, so they had to be removed from the hay barn, and are now stored in one of the side sheds so they didn’t get buried. So we’ve got lots, even though our yield of alfalfa is a bit low this year.

Thanks for expanding my Urea knowledge. I have mostly read just the basic articles on urea poisoning after husband brought it up. Nothing on other uses beyond fertilizer. Hard to gelieve they actually FEED it to cattle regularly!! Reminds me of the Mad Cow Disease scare back when they mixed “waste cow parts” including brains and then mixed that with cattle feed to feed to meat cattle. And they thought that was OK!! More a European problem if I remember, though Denny Crane (William Shatner) thought he had Mad Cow Disease on the TV lawyer show. Hard to know what your food animals get fed sometimes.

Our calves and heifers were on a grass diet with a bit of corn, oats, soybean meal and a little wet beet pulp for coming into their stalls. No heavy grain feeding. We were after best money return at the Fair sale, with the least spent per animal. We learned watching others, that spending a lot on grain/commercial feeds means less return or actual lost money selling if you don’t get a Grand or Reserve winner at the Fair. Lambs and calves both grew incredibly in the short times we had them, meeting or exceeding weight gain goals with our early July Fair. We have excellent grass pastures! They all sold VERY well even though not Grand or Reserve winners. We couldn’t afford to buy them! Ha ha DD turned a profit, was able to buy her own animals each year after we purchased the first ones. Plus put away money for trade school after graduation.

Very glad to hear you got in some great winter hay! Grass prices are similar here, alfalfa is a bit higher than most sellers locally. Especially if buying bales out of the field. But defiantly worth the prices delivered and stacked!! Probably will get that high this winter at the auction. Has to feel good being “winterized” already!

1 Like

Our last year hay sold well at the auction when cleaning out the barn. Mid-winter prices were the best for good looking hay, if you can wait that long. We won’t be selling any excess (if we have any) until mid-winter, looking to get better prices.

Hope you get some rain AFTER you get all your hay in the barns! Sounds really hot there. Stay hydrated!

2 Likes

here hay has been short for several years however the local feed store chain (Russel Feed Stores) and their customers have been able to raise denotations for the ranchers in the Texas panhandle who lost all their pastures/hay to wild fires

donated 76,000 pounds of cattle cubes, 34,000 pounds of alfalfa cubes, 42,000 pounds of protein tubs, and 30 miles worth of fencing. Thank you to Decatur Livestock Market and the trucking companies donating their time and efforts to help. Our ag community continues to do great things!

they also have been able to donate over 188,512 pounds of pet food to Don’t Forget to Feed Me

I know not the intent of this thread but am somewhat supportive of those kind souls who share their excesses

3 Likes

That would only be advisable if you don’t need they yields from a first cutting? All I know is that fields that we have brush hogged and then baled were like what you would get on second cutting. I may be wrong but it seems the fields grow differently that very first time after Winter.

We are done with hay for ourselves and working on the hay we sell. Weather and machinery issues are keeping us from getting it done as fast as we would like but should get what we have down baled this afternoon before more rain moves in.

It would help if the forecasters were somewhat accurate but so far no rained on hay. Several times it was too close for comfort. It will be nice to get done one of these days.

1 Like

You are kind! Our hay prices stay the same year round. We are just a small operation, and just sell our excess, usually to the same buyers each year. Every now and again, a new buyer crops up, or an older one disappears. Yes, we will need some rain, at some point!!! But the little grass fields survive on nothing but rain, and their lowland location close to the creek. Natural subirrigation LOL. We will get snow in winter, and that helps. But we do usually graze the fields in fall, if there is growth there. Growth needs rain… soon. It’s pretty scary how dry we are.