Unlimited access >

A girth rant!

I also use this one, works on my gelding shaped like yours. I’ve used it for several years with two different saddles. Makes a big difference. I didn’t need to try the more expensive girths, I would have if this one didn’t work.

Yup - this girth for me too. The mare I ride sounds exactly like the OP’s horse and this is the best girth for her, besides a very straight cheap fleece girth… which I also do not understand.

I am on the side of “less is more”. Seen these ? https://flexigirth.com/shop/fflexi-girth-dressage-treeless-black/

All elastic.

have also used a Fairfax girth - and the ProLite synthetic version. THeir website says that the girths are designed to gap in the front - when in motion, it permits correct action. You can read about it here :https://www.fairfaxsaddles.com/girths/performance-girths

2 Likes

black mohair here: http://www.wildwestendurance.com/mohair-girth/

1 Like

Same! My horse is super happy with this girth, too. It’s a very nice girth for the price.

I use a Fairfax leather girth because my guy has sprung ribs and a forward girth groove. It works great.

BUT, I was happily able to try it from my local tack store before purchasing one. Is there a place you can try one from? Even if through the mail?

I believe the TSF StretchTec girth solves this problem (https://www.totalsaddlefit.com/stretchtec/). The elastic on the back edge allows for some give and distributes the pressure more evenly. Mine is also a very cushy neoprene. After cleaning I re-apply the neoprene (via the velcro) so there is a little extra over the elastic area, so there is plenty of material to expand or contract.

I picked my girth up while they were doing a 90-day trial. They said to use it, abuse it, and free returns within 90 days if you are unhappy. I recently saw this promotion with their stirrup leathers, so you have to catch it on the right week. I think their standard return policy is 30 days?

1 Like

Would this work for you? I am getting ready to order one for my round girl!
https://www.chewy.com/stubben-horse-cord-girth/dp/283884?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Stübben&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvre8q9eu8AIVSsDICh0E0g5OEAQYASABEgJEM_D_BwE

1 Like

See if you can get someone to assess the fit while she’s working - I’ve heard my saddle fitter explain this a few times, but I may be paraphrasing poorly. Something to the effect that these girths are designed to have optimal contact while the horse is working, which often leaves a gap along the front edge while they’re standing.

1 Like

I wish some of those lovely mohair ones came in english. I have english-to-western and western-to-english adjustors but it would be nice to have them actually come in english. OHHHH!!! down the rabbit hole in ETSY…they make some mohair string ones there

Yep that’s the one I use as well. I don’t like white because you have to wash it all the time and I have a black saddle…

Yep I have read about the Fairfax, still gapped a bit because of how my horse’s belly is shaped even when being ridden.

That makes sense although I have seen these girths & similar girths still gap quite a bit when in motion. Due to my horse’s belly shape, they would gap regardless which is unfortunate but not a big deal as I do have one that works nicely for her.

1 Like

Ah interesting! I think it’s more the shape in general that has caused issues with my horse & that sort of girth. Thankfully I do have one that works nicely! Unfortunately she is allergic to neoprene so I probably couldn’t use it anyways & I try to avoid elastic at the bottom of her girth but good to know about that one

I have string girths, and I have to say they’ve always worked well for me with a variety of horses. Certainly a cheaper thing to try than some of those others that require a new mortgage on the house.

4 Likes

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!
exvet- mare has been seen and cleared by vet- doesn’t think she has ulcers, we are in the Muddy North so sand colic is low on the list of probabilities! Mare had several colic episodes with weight loss and lethargy 4 years ago, diagnosed with Lawsonia ( 'donut ’ small intestine cross section seen on US, sky high serum titres ), resolved with a month of antibiotics. Really unusual in mature horse so I always worry about health issues when she is “off”.
I have tried a string girth, and that was a definite “no”.
I think I will order the Flexrider/Ovation gel filled anatomic girth to try- it is inexpensive if I have to add it to my reject pile

2 Likes

I also posted a link to english black mohair girths above…

see my post above for black mohair english girths…

My go to girth for fussy horses has always been mohair. You have already said that does not work for your mare. My other suggestion is a relatively inexpensive Wintec dressage girth, which has elastic in the center, is well padded, and in my experience, does not slip. I have used one on slender TB’s, fat QH’s, and fussy warmbloods.

1 Like