Unlimited access >

Abnormal bone growth in 4yr old gelding

[QUOTE=Marla 100;8532349]
In looking at the whole body photos, it appears on RH you may have a negative palmar angle of the hoof. Can’t see the LH in photo. So we really need those good photos of hind hooves.

So the x-ray you posted are of LH? Is this where lameness is observed?

If negative palmar angles are in both hinds this could be cause for excess
bony growth in lower joints as this is the body’s way of protecting those joints when the hooves are being trimmed in an out of balanced manner. When this happens slowly over time, and does not get corrected sometimes the cartilage between the bones becomes ossified and can cause lameness.

It takes a knowledgeable and experienced trimmer to correct this and not make it worse.

If this is the case I would think, since your horse is young, that you could have some improvement in lameness by corrective trimming. sometimes after corrective trimming some of the excess bone deposits can dissolve.

If you do have negative palmar angles and not one of the 6 vets or farriers
recognized this, then you need better eyes and a new farrier to correct this.

I may be totally wrong here, but I’m suspicious about the laying down of new bone in that feltock joint and my hunch is look at the feet.[/QUOTE]

I think Marla might be onto something here,i think i see bullnosing on that RH hoof… OP get some good hoof pics of those hind feet solar and lateral views.

[QUOTE=Allyconn;8531996]
I uploaded a couple photos of him: https://www.facebook.com/ally.concannon/media_set?set=a.10208596627577176&type=3

He has never been shod, always barefoot trimmed every 6 weeks or as needed. Every farrier / vet has said he has excellent feet.

So far nobody has said it is a conformation issue.[/QUOTE]

I find it very, very interesting that in all the picture he’s standing the same way - RH pulled forward, RF pulled back. I realize the first 2 pics were probably about the same moment in time, but the other 2 were obviously very different not just in days, but seasons (so months).

The pics do make the RH look strange. One pic looks bullnosed, one looks very upright

I updated some more photos of his hind legs / feet so you can see them better.

Yes, the Xray is of his LH.

Over a year ago, he did injure his RH he got caught in a fence and cut it open. Had the vet out multiple times for that and it did not require any stitches and healed on it’s own. He does have some scar tissue there.

I am very interested in exploring corrective trimming.

Thank you so much.

Now that you mention this i looked backed at more photos of him and even today, he favored standing that way. I added more photos of his legs in different angles.

It would be very helpful if you can clean the hooves and then take sole photos, straight on, of each hoof. Then take a few more of each with the camera down straight out from the hoof.

So far what I’m suspecting subject to solar shots:

LH- inside heel is short (er)
outside heel is long (er) which is why he stands pointing lh to outside

RH- Negative palmar angle developing
inside heel may be undeveloped
outside heel may be overdeveloped- need solar shots to confirm

Take similar sole shots of fronts also.

If, his feet are as unbalanced as I suspect, this may be a large part of your problem.

It sounds like you’ve had very thorough vetting done, which I assume included full lower limb radiographic studies.

The fetlock does look very abnormal – not sure what I am even looking at there. I can’t imagine how a negative palmar angle could be responsible for such dramatic abnormality, especially in a horse so young. Not saying it isn’t possible, just that would really surprise me. I would think the opposite could hold true, though, that the lameness can lead to an altered gait (which he has) and that can lead to development of a negative palmar angle.

I wouldn’t hold a lot of hope that trimming is going to fix much, though I am a “feet first” person myself. Has anyone suggested corrective shoeing such as a rocker or wedge to make him more comfortable?

Since he is gimping around on his left hind, this will throw his entire pelvis out and would explain the uneven stance. What does your chiropractor say about that?

Sorry about your boy. :frowning:

If you really want to do all you can and don’t mind throwing money at this now versus retiring the horse at 4 (and I’m assuming more rads were taken than the 2 shown, including rads showing the angle of the rest of the lower limb?), you might want to go with an MRI and consult with a surgeon.