Unlimited access >

Accidentally Rolled My Dog HE'S WALKING update in #72

He was paralysed when it first happened - the vet reckoned that could have been shock. He could “walk” (ie stagger) when we got to the vet which they were thrilled to see. (as was I).

Damage to dog was extensive bruising of the organs (excluding the brain) as well as muscles. Rips in his skin all over and a concussion. 4 days in vet hospital on IV fluids and multiple blood tests and full body xrays - my words were “are you sure that you have done enough tests.” It was the first time that I ever heard that dog moan with a load of pain-killers on board.

Any way, he could walk very slowly when I picked him up and it took two of us to lift him.

He took about 6 weeks to really recover - and that was the laser therapy that helped reduce the time. During the initial periods of his recovery at home, he didn’t want to move much as he was very sore - so not paralysed but with damaged muscles etc. We rolled him over every 30 minutes during the day for the first 2 weeks - and 2x at night We also used a belly sling to help him get to his feet for those weeks - and the vet said to get him up every 3-4 hours to get him to walk to stimulate blood flow through the body. (We needed to do it for toileting - he was a very proud dog (anthromorphising I know) and we knew that he wouldnt want to soil himself again.)

As the bruising started to go down, he found it easier to get up but we still rolled him over and used the belly sling for another 2 weeks as a precaution.

As the vet said - if you have to run over a dog, a fit mature male Labrador would be the best. Luke was a very fit dog going on multi-hour walks and other training with my collies.

Oh yes - and post recovery, he lived another four years with no effects from the accident - except I never run the dogs from the car since!

Hugs to you. I hope all goes well.
Most importantly of all - DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP! You didn’t mean to do this and you will get through it as well.

4 Likes

Thanks. I figure all this effort is my penance. He’s not walking. Side to side balance is better if I put his feet in position, not much forward/back balance, but he doesn’t collapse as easily any more.

3 Likes

YAY!!! That means he is on the way to recovery.

PLEASE don’t think of this as “penance” just making it right.
(That may be what you are meaning?? Nuances are hard to get on forums at time.)

No. I was raised a Catholic. Every time I get tired or impatient, I think this is my penance. And doing the right thing, the only thing I can do. And patience is not a strong point in my personality. I will NEVER forgive myself for taking my eyes off him for that second. Never. I’ll move on, but I was careless and I may have essentially killed the best dog ever. Truly. This dog is simply the best in a long line of dogs. Any progress he’s making may halt at any point. He may stand, but not walk. He won’t be a cart dog. I’m essentially asking an old man to recover from a crippling back injury.

2 Likes

This past week i had to shoot the ram i crunched between my trailer and the corner of the shed last summer. I will always carry that guilt around. Not the guilt about actually shooting him, THAT i probably should have done sooner, but that i didn’t check. That i caused his body’s destruction.

6 Likes

Exactly. And hugs to you.

4 Likes

A fellow Catholic!!! It took me some time to get through the guilt/penance stage to acceptance.
Once its in your mind, you need gelignite to get it out.

1 Like

Accidents happen. Please be kind to yourself and know you took care of him until the end.

4 Likes

No $het Sherlock!

1 Like

What laser did you get? Do you mind shooting me a link? I’ve started looking for one that I can use on the horses too.

It’s just a small hand-held one from Medic Therapeutics. Google them.

Well, I’ve waited until I was sure even if he plateaued, I wouldn’t put him down. As of about three weeks ago, he started walking independently - though often sideways, I call him “Sidewinder” when he does that. As of three days ago, he started trotting, though still occasionally losing his balance sideways, but HE’S WALKING.
It’s been a looooong trip. At the end of three months, he’d recovered enough to commit to another three months, and we’re not even at the end of that period yet. One of our inland lakes has warmed enough that a couple days a week we go there so I can make him swim, me in waders, he wanting to get out. :slight_smile: When he swims, he used his legs alternately, when he walks he paces.
As he recovered I refused to let him drag himself around afraid he’d develop muscles for doing that and skip the walking muscles. He has zero stability on smooth floors, so I have runners everywhere on my hardwood floors, but that’s fine. He loves people and parties and last night I had friends over for for the first “happy hour” in almost five months. We sat around a campfire to visit and he had good traction on the grass.
All and all, a relatively happy way point for my old Best-dog.
Thanks for all your kind comments and thoughts. I would not wish this experience on my worst enemy. We have survived!

38 Likes

WooHoo!!! Right on! What good news!

3 Likes

What great news! I know you say you’ve felt like the experience of his rehab has been your penance but even so - as an outsider I’m impressed by your love and patience through the process and everything you’ve done. I’m glad he’s having such good, happy, FUN days and nights!

4 Likes

So happy to read this!!! Hope he continues to improve :heart:

3 Likes

Wonderful news! I haven’t posted before because I don’t have any experience with this kind of thing (knock wood, right?) and had no advice to offer. But now I want to tell you how inspired I am by your tenacity and willingness to do what you have to do for this dog. You go, girl!

5 Likes

Excellent news !

2 Likes

Yay!!!

3 Likes

Damn these onions . . .

Smooches to your best-dog!

4 Likes

Fantastic news!
Have you considered booties on the hind feet for added traction?
They helped my elderly setter when her hind end was wonky from extreme old age.

2 Likes