Unlimited access >

Accidentally Rolled My Dog HE'S WALKING update in #72

I’m so sorry this happened try to forgive yourself. For a little hope thorough not due to an accident my dog had a disc that bounced against her spinal cord and caused a similar swelling injury from ivdd. She was partially paralyzed and after recovery is 100% normal running etc. join the ivdd group on fb even though that isn’t the cause the treatments are the same. Absolute crate rest 24/7 for 8+ weeks even if they start to be better they can re-injure it. I really really recommend that you go see a neurologist your dog should be on prednisone at a minimum(mine was on it for months). The pain meds help your dog’s comfort but prednisone will reduce the swelling in the cord. I learned through the whole experience that the neurologist was really crucial because they can feel more with palpating then your regular vet through recovery. They see this day in and day out.

5 Likes

So very sorry to read this happened - please be as kind to yourself as possible.

You say he doesn’t like the sling… what are you using to support him and where are you placing it? Most times, people run a towel or other cloth under the belly just in front of the hind legs. If that is what you are doing and he doesn’t like it, try using two towels and placing them crossed under his pelvis. IME, some animals found that a lot more comfortable.

many jingles for his complete recovery and your finding peace. :heart:

5 Likes

No advice - just a hug for both you and Doggie. (((())))

2 Likes

I once knew a dog who was hit by a car when he was a year old, and lost his hind end function to a similar degree. His owners (my friends) were told to do some waiting to see if the swelling went down, like you. They did wait and he improved only slightly at first. They were beginning to have the second round of conversations about quality of life vs. euthanasia, as they did not want him to live a life of paralysis and needing to be carried outside to poop, etc. Leaning toward euthanasia, they decided to sleep on it and decide in the morning.

In the morning, he met them at the back door to go out. Then he lived until age 12 and was the best boy in the world. Needed help to get in the truck, otherwise a happy camper.

I so hope your fellow makes a good recovery too.

8 Likes

@phantomhorse, that’s a GREAT idea!! He’s much more comfortable standing if I support him by the backs of his thighs. Crisscrossing would also allow him - if inclined - to pee more freely. I’m not getting optimistic, just trying to be steady, but geez, my blood pressure feels constantly elevated. Thanks friends.
Oh, and I will call and ask about at steroid. Personally, I hate Predisone and won’t take it - it makes me crazy hyper. I believe the Rimadol acts as an anti-inflammatory as well, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

Rimadyl. (Carprofen) is an non-steroid anti-inflammatory. I’ll still call and talk to them about it.

Jingles for continued healing.

1 Like

We had a dog recover from a similar injury. I cried every day when I handled her, and seriously questioned whether I was keeping her alive and torturing her for our emotional needs. It was a truly awful time.

She hated the sling as well, and would.not.poop, to the point I thought she had an impaction.

She recovered and lived a full life til the age of 15.

Hang in there.

4 Likes

Jingles & ((hugs))

1 Like

You are not alone. Out here in the country…just about everyone i know has run over at least one dog or cat. I squished one of my rams between the horse trailer and a shed corner…(he was napping beside a wheel). He has survived, but is slightly lower on one side of his huge rumen.
I know it’s sickening and guilt-loaded… but it was an accident. Continue giving love. and as they say on COTH…“jingles”

3 Likes

Nerve healing takes a long time.

Not the same but my first dog, way back when, got a nerve injury to a hind leg. She dragged that leg…to the point of thinking about euthanasia as it didn’t seem to get better. The vet did work out a little splint to keep her foot stiff so she wasn’t constantly abrading the top of her foot. If I remember right, it was about 6 months but she did regain function and lived to be a happy old dog.

I think you need to give it a few weeks. Do you have an eggcrate dog bed? Something that would minimize some pressure points? The attempt at tail wagging sounds very promising. Jingles coming your way.

Susan

2 Likes

Hugs to you and prayers for healing.

1 Like

@McGurk what was the timeline?

I’m noticing when he dreams of running, his back feet twitch a bit. And his tail.

And yes @Kyrabee, I do. Two in fact. I also turn him every two hours except at night (unless he wets himself and I have to clean him and mess around anyway), at night he stays about six hours on one side.

2 Likes

He’s not on prednisone, or any other anti-inflammatory?

1 Like

He’s on Rimadyl. That’s an anti-inflammatory. I suspect steroids would make him too hyper. Prednisone does that to me. I can’t take it.

Yes rimadyl is an anti inflammatory.
However, it acts on them differently.
Ive been in rescue for over 20 years and unfortunately have seen the
Is type of injury all too often. Every single time they went from the vet wanting to give them the needle to up N and walking within max 72 hours from starting the pred.

3 Likes

Seems like it was forever, but it was probably less than a month. There was definitely a point at which she was managing better, and even though it was still a lot of work, I no longer felt I had made the wrong decision.

1 Like

Please don’t eliminate the best drug to help with this issue because of your own reaction to it. Humans react differently than dogs. I also struggle with taking prednisone but I believe my dog being on it for a few months is the reason why she’s running and playing today. Her only side effect was thirst and peeing more often. She was not hyper on it. She was also on really high doses of Gabapentin. Though Rimadyl is an anti inflammatory it’s more for arthritis pain not a possible spine or nerve injury.

16 Likes

He really should be on prednisone. It’s the bet anti-inflammatory for this situation. As someone else said, steroids may react with you one way, but in animals very differently. I have zero reaction to steroids, myself.

I’ve had many cats on prednisone, and none of them have become hyper or had any other adverse reactions to it. At the very least, try it. If he had a bad reaction, you’ll know for sure.

10 Likes

Pred is #1 from a potential spinal issue like this.
It needs to be used early in treatment for optimal benefit. Extended period of inflammation could be hard to resolve if left too long.
I’m frankly shocked a vet saw a HBC and didn’t treat with it.

7 Likes