ACDF neck surgery and riding

I have had all but my lower Thoracic vertebra fused w/instrumentation and pedicle screws. 8 surgeries at UVA. I have had headaches my entire life, and with each surgery the only relief was the wonderful anesthesia during surgery. However, in spite of all of these surgeries, I am getting back in the saddle; surgeon said OK, but no jumping mainly because of accident potential. I will be wearing a safety vest for protection. I am going next week to have radio frequency ablation on the nerves in my neck and my Occipital area. It does help; but the nerves grow back. I am also getting facet injections. I am on Gabapentin and it does not do anything and I am going to stop taking it. I am concerned about “jolting” my spine, and exacerbating the headache thing, but I am so tired of my spine/neck/headache interfering w/life that I am going to start riding again. Have found a good trainer, she works with a woman my age (64) who has Rheumatoid Arthritis as do I…can’t let the disease or spine issues stop me. I think the wonderful feeling when riding will pump some endorphins that will work far better than all these damn drugs my docs keep prescribing. I now take Excedrin Tension; it’s acetaminophen and caffeine and it helps. Used to take NSAIDS but ended up with 3 gastric bleeds, one that almost killed me. I also have osteoperosis! Aging is not for sissies! I will be training on a mount w/a soft trot and canter. Wish me luck!

1 Like

@Titanium Woman I’m going for my first RFA tomorrow morning. Right side C2-C6. I’ve been in a ton of pain from facet joints over the last few months and I blame not riding for this flare up as I had to give my mare a few months off for her own recuperation. Enjoy your riding and try to be safe. As best you can on a flight animal.