Unlimited access >

Actual vets: hyperkalemia in horse with HYPP

Some years back, a friend/client went to the Paint World Show, and was looking for a stallion to breed her mare to.
She found one she really liked the look of, but when she was looking at his pedigree on the stall door, she saw that he was HYPP positive.
The trainer/owner came over and asked her if she was interested in the stallion, and she said she had been, until she saw that info.
His response, “They don’t call it HYPP positive for nuthin’, little lady.”
(A reference to the phenotype that many of these horses exhibit.)

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Oh my, so that guy was trying to say that having HYPP is a good thing, hu?

2 Likes

Ayuh, and he was surprised she had a very different opinion on the issue.

1 Like

Some of them think so. I’ve seen lot’s of big old soggy Qhs that are Impressive bred that are HYPP negative, that I wouldn’t be buying into that line of BS if I was looking for a stud. Twenty odd years ago I felt for people who would lose a lot of money by pulling all their HYPP positive horses from their breeding program (some weren’t big money folks), but now, not so much.

2 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

That’s like the breeders who purposefully breed 2 Frame/LWO, KNOWING there’s a 25% chance of a dead foal, but thinking that the 50% chance of a n/O horse increases their odd of color. SMH

OMG, this is the other ridiculous thing. Just look at all the n/H HUS horses who are CLEARLY not the highly muscled look favored in the Halter ring. There are lightly muscled Halter QHs who are n/H, and heavily muscled QHs who are n/n.

Yes, this is the (incorrect) reason many purposefully breed to produce HYPP, that they think that IS the reason a horse is heavily muscled

Impressive wasn’t even that heavily muscled. He was well-built, and looked like a QH.

1 Like

Many now prefer HYPP n/H and PSSM1 n/P1. Say they are muscled up better.

That certainly is not any better!

1 Like

omg, how stupid can they get :angry: PSSM1 horses tend to have a hard time building muscle. Idiots.

Not my preference, just what I’ve been flat out told by people showing halter horses at major events. It boggles my mind.

1 Like

That’s just terrifying :sob: