Unlimited access >

Adding protein to feed- without soy

That’s good to hear …my mare just got diagnosed with pssm2 and MFM…it was recommended that I start her on KER’s MFM pellets and NanoQ10 …holy cow is that stuff expensive…it’s $300 for the MFM pellets :grimacing:

1 Like

Hygain Zero is soy free and so is Triple Crown Balancer Gold

See if you can get a sample. Mine would not touch the MFM pellet.

1 Like

Barley.

Thanks- I am currently feeding rolled barley with the alfalfa pellets, beet pulp and rice bran.

Chickpeas ? (Good website)

Thanks- I have to feed three of them (all turned out together) so I think that I will try the ration balancer mentioned above to add in.

Thanks everyone!

Omg yes, it’s definitely cost prohibitive. From what I understand the acetyl cystine is main helpful ingredient (in addition to the other aminos and BCAAs) and whey isolate contains some so my hope was to try to replicate it without spending $300 every 5 weeks😳

Good luck with your horse! It is so tough. I have had great luck with the Equifeast Lam Essentials as well.

Do you have pea protein isolate available? I buy mine in bulk from body building / gym / supplement sites here in the UK
I use this over whey as its plant based and a bit more species specific, obviously a no if your horse is sensitive to legumes (in which case alfalfa would also be a no) but I’ve found it to be well tolerated.
I care for a couple of horses with PSSM and this forms an integral part of their diet.

1 Like

Luckily my mare is not picky and has been eating it no problem

1 Like