Advice on not letting depression and anxiety effect your riding

Wait til you get the ultrasound. :slight_smile: Iā€™ve seen a horse get a blow to the leg and it looked exactly like a bow but the horse was sound and the tendon was clean on ultrasound. Swelling was gone in a couple of weeks.

[QUOTE=Leather hAlter123;5451043]
Thanks Zenyatta that is helpful. I have a hard time thinking of goals with my current horse when my main goal was to do jumpers this summer. And on top of everything else (newly diagnosed and starting meds) it looks like I might be out of the saddle for awhile. Pulled my horse out of his stall this morning and he might have a bowed tendon. It looks horrible but heā€™s trotting sound on it. Gonna have to get the vet out this week to look at it.

So of course now Iā€™m freaking out about recovery time, how this is gonna effect his sale price if he does recover and how my already small budget for the new horse is getting even smaller.

:([/QUOTE]

Dealing with depression/anxiety makes you more vunerable to stress. Take a deep breath, if it is a bowed tendon you will deal with it.
Start formulating a ā€œplan Bā€, what do you need to do to obtain your goal? Maybe it will take longer, but itā€™s still obtainable.
When ypur mind goes off on itā€™s own, you need to stop and bring yourself back to solving the problem at hand.
I know youā€™re dealing with a lot right now, but things will get better. Give the meds a chance to work and seek support from those who are close to you.

I think my horse is trying to see how much stress I can put up with. After one day of wrapping it looked much better and then this week the vet couldnā€™t find anything wrong.

I canā€™t tell you all how good it feels to know Iā€™m not the only one who goes through depression and anxiety affecting my riding. Like zenyatta and kdow, been there - done that on and off anti depressants most of my adult life. Now yet again, since learning my department at work is being laid offā€¦about to go to the doc to get back on an antidepressant. I was so bad at one point, every time I got on my horse I burst into tearsā€¦and of course jumped off. LeatherhAlter the advice from zenyatta and kdow has always worked for me too, and theyā€™ve worded it all so well. Good advice to follow. Alsoā€¦remember why we rideā€¦we love itā€¦scale back to short term goals, and work with a horse you feel safe onā€¦keep it simple and treat yourself kindly on your horse, donā€™t pressure yourself of your horseā€¦let yourself enjoy the rhythm of the ride, or the gentle breeze, or the scenery - remember you trust this horse, and let the meds begin to workā€¦you will find yourself progressing quicker without even realizing it, and your long term goal with again seem within reach. Good luck!

Some good news, Iā€™ve been on the meds for almost a month now and they seem to be having some effect. I actually want to go ride my horse instead not wanting to and just doing it because I have to. And the leg is completely fine. By the time the vet came up swelling was totally fine. We started lightly jumping him earlier in the week and did some courses today. It is the best I have ridden in months and actually had fun jumping.

Thanks for the great update!

[QUOTE=Leather hAlter123;5479795]
Some good news, Iā€™ve been on the meds for almost a month now and they seem to be having some effect. I actually want to go ride my horse instead not wanting to and just doing it because I have to. And the leg is completely fine. By the time the vet came up swelling was totally fine. We started lightly jumping him earlier in the week and did some courses today. It is the best I have ridden in months and actually had fun jumping.[/QUOTE]
Great news!!!:D:D