Unlimited access >

Affording a horse through College

[QUOTE=RodeoFTW;8637389]
Danke. :slight_smile:

I think it’ll work out well. I’m going to try and see the horse (Veri) this weekend. His owner adores my emotionally troubled little pony, so it’s just a really good deal to jump on. In case you’re curious, this is the pedigree and picture of the horse in question.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/msu+veritas

http://postimg.org/image/lk1c4xl1d/ from 2011
http://postimg.org/image/vsghowlvl/ more recent

And my pony now, Mr. Darcy.

http://postimg.org/image/7zbxrxk1t/[/QUOTE]

One valid concern that you need to do more than brush as “I will do only so much, spend so much” may not work so well if you need expensive vet services.

You never know, but if your horse need more involved vet services, remember that, even for smaller stuff, today’s costs become very high in a hurry.
Be prepared for that with more than you think you may need.

Those are very nice horses, good luck with your trade.

As they say:

1390744_557580774289669_1653208314_n.jpg

Not to be rude, I’m already aware of vet expenses.

Money isn’t an issue.

But thanks.

Honestly, your attitude in this post is really off-putting. Most of the people in this post are trying to help you based on their past experiences; I’m not sure what all the snide responses are about.

I don’t like having to reply to things that are already common sense. This isn’t my first purchase, or my first horse. That’s what ‘puts me off’ in having to respond to the same thing each and every time.

It comes off as patronizing, which I’ve so already explained before.

It gets tiring.

Ok, but what kind of responses do you actually want? You asked for advice, then you shoot down every response. I don’t know why you’re surprised people are giving you advice about affording a horse when the title of the thread is literally “Affording a horse through College.” You are not obligated to reply to each and every comment if you don’t like them.

And having a horse before =/= having a horse in college. I’m about to graduate from college, and yes it is different. That’s all people are trying to say. It’s nothing malicious.

Yes but most of the advice is just silly stuff that would have already or should have been thought out because even buying a horse in the first place, like affording vet care. That doesn’t change because someone decides to go to school.

I’m going to go ahead with my plan. If I can’t afford a board near Chicago, he was going to stay in Michigan where he is now.

[QUOTE=RodeoFTW;8637512]
Yes but most of the advice is just silly stuff that would have already or should have been thought out because even buying a horse in the first place, like affording vet care. That doesn’t change because someone decides to go to school.

I’m going to go ahead with my plan. If I can’t afford a board near Chicago, he was going to stay in Michigan where he is now.[/QUOTE]

You’re right, it doesn’t change, but it can become much more difficult. You’d be surprised how many experienced horse people forget about that.

Good luck with your horse, he looks lovely.

I’m going to have to stick to RodeoFTW’s side. She clearly stated affording the horse wasn’t an option and she was just concerned about other aspects, every time she has a clear plan for something someone swoops in with “ohhh, but do you have 300,000 in savings for when he has horseface syndrome which is the rarest and most expensive horse disease on the plant and if you don’t have that money away you shouldn’t own a horse you irresponsible person.”

Just because other people made the decision to not have a horse through college doesn’t mean that is the only way it can be.

I own a horse, and I have a very clear and personal line in the sand regarding medical expenses for my horse. As should everyone else. It isn’t anyone’s business where I draw that line.

In her case it isn’t about money but about time, about finding a barn close enough, in her budget, that offers the amenities she needs especially if she is going to be inconsistent about going out during midterms and etc.

My advice would be to network on FB and among your horsey friends to find a more private and less expensive situation where he gets lots of turnout or pasture board. You can do without an arena until the winter and then you can always move him to an indoor for a few months and bite the extra expense but you might have to temper that with more riding time as he might not get as much turnout.

Yeah but when people tried to give the OP advice about time management/workload she came back with “I already know how to manage course work but thanks I guess.” It’s got nothing to do with not having a horse through college being “the only way it can be.” I had a horse through college – it can definitely be done and I’m all for it! People were trying to give the advice she asked for.

[QUOTE=enjoytheride;8637522]
I’m going to have to stick to RodeoFTW’s side. She clearly stated affording the horse wasn’t an option and she was just concerned about other aspects, every time she has a clear plan for something someone swoops in with “ohhh, but do you have 300,000 in savings for when he has horseface syndrome which is the rarest and most expensive horse disease on the plant and if you don’t have that money away you shouldn’t own a horse you irresponsible person.”

Just because other people made the decision to not have a horse through college doesn’t mean that is the only way it can be.

I own a horse, and I have a very clear and personal line in the sand regarding medical expenses for my horse. As should everyone else. It isn’t anyone’s business where I draw that line.

In her case it isn’t about money but about time, about finding a barn close enough, in her budget, that offers the amenities she needs especially if she is going to be inconsistent about going out during midterms and etc.

My advice would be to network on FB and among your horsey friends to find a more private and less expensive situation where he gets lots of turnout or pasture board. You can do without an arena until the winter and then you can always move him to an indoor for a few months and bite the extra expense but you might have to temper that with more riding time as he might not get as much turnout.[/QUOTE]

The question was, “affording a horse thru college”.

The OP has stated she has enough or will let the horse go without if it is past that certain limit and it sounded not realistic, not the way those things work in real life, why some have caught on that and warned that may deserve a bit more than brushing it off so lightly.

When asking on internet forums, you get all kinds of responses, some you may like, some you may not, that is life.

No need to bristle or insult those that did offer opinions, no matter how clueless the one asking thinks they are.
Each one of us responding did so with what we read and know in mind, other’s mileage may be different, that doesn’t make us wrong and needing to be chastised for it.

I have right now one of those horses, that is costing into the thousands now over months of trying to get him sound and still don’t know where we will be later.

My point, you never know until you are there what you will do or spend, it is something that really needs to be considered carefully, for the horse’s sake.
Some of us think that can’t be said enough, when that question comes up, that’s all.

I don’t believe in keeping horses as pasture pets, so that should end whatever concerns you might have for my horse’s welfare.

Let’s see, you want a horse you can “be proud of”, it’s not your “first rodeo”, you’re planning to show a horse you’ve never ridden and think that you’ll have an easy time leasing him out if you do move him, and you need no advice from people with graduate degrees who have actually done what you are trying to do because you’ve done “some college” already. All this after asking for that advice. Seems to me that common sense is a rare commodity.

Who’s silly now?

Frankly, I suspect others in addition to myself have cut you some slack out of appreciation for your service.

One last bit of what is likely to be even more unwelcome advice; everything in life will be easier without that enormous chip on your shoulder.

Rodeo, I am not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. The title is how to afford a horse, and then you say money isn’t the issue. Is it time management then?

People do keep horses through college, take full time courses, work part time, and ride. Its a grind. Way more of a daily grind than being in the Navy even on deployment. I know this because I have gone to college, with a horse and worked and rode.

My financial advice was only to put into perspective as someone who makes the money you will be getting from the GI Bill the reality of how far that money will go.

I don’t remember calling anyone silly here.

Frankly, you can give me advice and I can choose to take it or leave it. Especially when people don’t bother to read the thread before posting something that’s already been said. Pretty counterproductive, don’t you think?

Stop being so offended.

[QUOTE=Denali6298;8637634]
Rodeo, I am not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. The title is how to afford a horse, and then you say money isn’t the issue. Is it time management then?

People do keep horses through college, take full time courses, work part time, and ride. Its a grind. Way more of a daily grind than being in the Navy even on deployment. I know this because I have gone to college, with a horse and worked and rode.

My financial advice was only to put into perspective as someone who makes the money you will be getting from the GI Bill the reality of how far that money will go.[/QUOTE]

I’m going to work out a budget when I can tonight.

But I think the thing people are forgetting when they try to ‘help’ me is that I already have a horse. A horse that is not marketable. The point of getting the Arabian was not only because hey he’s a great horse for me (on paper and according to my trainer) but also because the woman who owns him is willing to swap and wants to train a pony for her kids. She approached me about my pony in particular, and I need to get rid of him before school.

The only thing I’ve been trying to get help about was if I should take the new horse to school, which I concluded in page 2 I would do only after having a handle on my class load and scoping out some boarding barns first.

This was never intended as a ‘should I buy a horse in college’ discussion but that is how people are answering.

Hence, my frustration.

I titled ‘how to afford’ because I’ve saved a hefty chunk of money and wanted to knew if it would be enough in case things turned south. Don’t think they will, but you never know.

I’m fortunate to be in grad school in a very rural area where both the cost of living and horse keeping (in a low key, self care type situation) is very low compared to previous places I’ve lived, so if I lost my current (wonderful) board situation it would be do-able to find another, similar situation. I’ve seen friends in similar situations, but in more expensive areas run into major trouble when the one affordable boarding option they can find becomes unworkable for some reason or closes. I think if I were in your position, I’d probably want to make sure there were several decent (not necessarily “perfect”) boarding situations in my price range within a reasonable distance if something went south.

That said, Michigan in the big scheme of things isn’t that far away (compared with my original home which is several days drive across the country) so it sounds like sending Horsey back there should something fall through with your Chicago area boarding situation might also be a workable “fall back” type plan.

Both as an undergrad and grad student, the horses have always been an incentive for me to work hard, pick up other/extra jobs as available and make sure I’m being efficient with my time so that I will have time to ride.

My one other piece of advice is that finding a barn with ample/good turnout time is key. I’ve simply had to accept that there will be occasional periods of time (right before finals and I’m sure late this summer immediately before my prelim exams) that I will not be riding “enough” for a week or several at a time and with my horses (my pony, husband’s QH, sale/project pony) on 24/7 pasture right now it really isn’t a big deal at all for them to miss a week or two of riding here and there as I’m consistent with their work the rest of the time and my husband or I still go out to feed, check their water and give them a once over every day. In comparison, some of my riding buddies here board at a barn that offers no turnout and so they must go (or pay someone else to) every day to ensure their horse gets any kind of exercise which is a much bigger time commitment than tossing hay/grain and making sure everyone still has four legs and all that.

I think you may need to reassess the zipcar for your budgeting purposes. I don’t think you will find a boarding situation less than an hour’s drive from UIC that will fit what ypu want. So at least factor in 3 hrs for each time you ride. Plus you will most likely have tolls. So I think the zipcar will more than likely cost more per month than you think. BUT don’t discount that it still may be less expensive than having to pay to park your own car.

[QUOTE=roseymare;8637701]
I think you may need to reassess the zipcar for your budgeting purposes. I don’t think you will find a boarding situation less than an hour’s drive from UIC that will fit what ypu want. So at least factor in 3 hrs for each time you ride. Plus you will most likely have tolls. So I think the zipcar will more than likely cost more per month than you think. BUT don’t discount that it still may be less expensive than having to pay to park your own car.[/QUOTE]

It would still be a lot less than a car. Zip has monthly plans. My own car would require me to buy a car, get insurance, pay for gas, and pay for a parking spot in the city. Not such a good deal, all things considering. Zip costs much, much less, even with the toll booths.

I looked at the plans and they appear pretty reasonable. My aunt and uncle would only live 12 blocks away and I could always borrow one of their cars, too.

Another thing to think about with the zip care is a saddle carrier that zips and a large duffel for your gear so that you won’t have as much clean up f the zipcar. Hopefully the boarding facility will have lockers but it would be nice to just keep a lookout for those types of items if you don’t have them. Because it is always harder to find the perfect item when you really need it!

I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but I feel like we might need to adjust our expectations:

1. Pasture board near Chicago is extremely rare

2. Any sort of board near Chicago under $400/month is virtually unheard of

3. Trying to find one of those two (because finding a board situation with both of those qualities is going to be a challenging task) is going to take you at least an hour outside of Chicago. Rush hour traffic can double the commutes, so you will have to plan on a roundtrip commute anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. Getting out of Chicago via the expressways near UIC is a total friggin nightmare all day long, week in and week out. Weekends are just as bad as weekdays. Commuting in Chicago is DAUNTING.

4. With the large commutes, zipcar may not be the best option

I wish I could be more positive, but boarding near Chicago is a difficult task and requires quite a bit of financial and time management compromises. I think it’s important to offer fair warning to you.