Unlimited access >

Air vests?

I’m hoping to solicit some thoughts on air vests. As far as I can tell there are not yet firm data on their efficacy in preventing injury. I’m not against spending money for something that may reduce or prevent injury; however, I don’t want to wear something that may increase risk. What I’ve read cites the concern of the attachment not coming apart and risk of being dragged. I see many h/j riders wearing them and am close to getting one. Any thoughts?

There was a thread on here not too long ago that discussed this - probably worth reading through it as it will probably answer your questions.

you will find more info in the eventing forum. Personally based on what little data I have seen I would not use one when conventional vests are a more proven technology

1 Like

Definitely do a search on the forum as there have been several threads.

My understanding is that air vests have been designed to be used in addition to conventional vests rather than instead of.

1 Like

@Loudlaugh12, here is a link to one of most recent air vest discussions in this very forum.

Thanks all!!!

I have one. In the summer while hacking on a well behaved horse he stepped in a hole and went down without taking a step to protect himself. I fell without time to put my hands out on my forehead. The airbag prevented a broken neck. This assertion is based on my experience and the doctor’s belief that my neck was broken. It wasn’t A long time rider and friend had a fall with no airbag and died. It’s not a lot of money. How lucky do you feel. The babington family believes that Kevin might not be a quadriplegic with one on Eventing riders have used them for a while. Like any new technology including covid vaccines there will be nay sayers. Buy the vest

1 Like

I would say that equating air vests to Covid mRNA vaccines is pretty much a BS argument. mRNA vaccines have been in development for almost 40 years! Corona virus vaccines have been in development for over 20 years as the result of SARS and MERS outbreaks in the early 2000s. They have been funded by the many national/international scientific bodies and been subject to millions of data points including in-vitro and animal efficacy/safety studies.

The only current epidemiological scientifically reviewed study for air vests show they are a higher risk than a standard vest by 70%. Thus, air vests development and proof…not even close. They use the purchasing riders as their test subjects. Now law suits are beginning to be filed against the manufacturers. As an eventer I know of 5 cases where the lanyards did not work and thus did not separate the rider from the horse in a fall. 2 riders were dragged. In the other 3 they had to cut the lanyard to free the vest (thankfully the horses stood and allowed the rider to take the vest off).

Already had my Covid booster due to my exposure risk.

19 Likes

THANK YOU RAYERS !!!

folks, running towards air vests because it is on trend is a big no, full stop. Stay with the proven vest protectors that have been around the equestrian community, including race tracks, for many years and have ample proof of protection.

4 Likes