Unlimited access >

Am I really going to do this (old saddle question)

Me too. Those bags are beautiful.

1 Like

i have compromised by getting a saddle with a slight bucket. I searched high and low for a good flat saddle without any gushy padding or rolls. So there is at least one person in the world that likes nice flat saddles! In fact, i plan on trying out my saddleseat saddle on my mare, because it’s flat as a pancake! I grew up on flat saddles, that’s my favorite seat.

3 Likes

So many of those flat saddle have ultra narrow channels, minimal paneling for the horse, and a tree shape that tended to fit the standard TB of the time. I don’t see any reason to continue using them today if the welfare of the horse is a priority.

Having one repurposed into a bag or decorative piece seems like a great way to honor the memories.

5 Likes

Those are gorgeous!! That might be a nice idea. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m sure there are others. My point is that I would question a lesson program that had a line up of 30+ year old flat, pancake saddles for beginners. It’s not like you can’t find decent tack that is only 10 years old. Bottom line - this kind of saddle has a very limited market. Free to good home, possibly. Or, find someone like you who wants one and doesn’t already have one.

I like the purse idea above, if it is something that was really dear to the owner.

1 Like

I wouldn’t throw it away. I’d donate it to a program like Saddle Up For St Jude, or an organization local that you are fond of. About once a year I round up the usable-but-outlived-usefulness-for-me (IE outgrown blankets, outgrown tack, etc) items and donate them to a TB rescue organzation near me that then either uses the tack for their own retraining horses, or auctions/raffles it off. Win/win for me - I get to get rid of stuff taking up space, and the rescue gets to use what works and sell the rest.

Those flat pancake style saddles aren’t exactly worthless for most rescue/retraining orgs – they make great test saddles for those first time rides on new projects/babies, but are also great for using to lunge. I have a worthless-in-today’s-market Ainsley that is absolutely priceless to me - I use it to break in all the babies. It’s one of those flat, inoffensive saddles that fits a wide variety of young horses and once they’re reasonably confirmed undersaddle they get their own tack.

4 Likes