Unlimited access >

Amateur, Promateur, Amafessional... what's a girl to do?

One can work hard at being an amateur – when you could teach, but do not because a person wants to keep the status, then you are bypassing income.

It’s not just about divisions. I keep my amateur status because I DO apply for, and have received, scholarship money that is limited to adult amateurs. It has nothing to do with competition itself.

So if you are not interesting in that, then yes, go ahead and take some students!

I was just going to say that, Wildlifer – that amateur status makes you eligible for certain perks in membership that include scholarship competition and other special educational offerings that professionals, or declared pros, cannot apply for. It’s hard to hear people say, “amateur status means nothing”, because I think it does. I think year end standings are important, winning at the AEC’s is important, and being best in your class is a terrific life achievement and wouldn’t want to belittle anyone’s life achievement by calling their class “unimportant”. I don’t think that is fair. Just because one doesn’t see the difference personally in their own little eventing corner of the world doesn’t mean it isn’t important in other parts and to other people.

So let’s talk more about the perks. What are the educational offerings that we can get? What are the scholarships?

When I look at all of this realistically, I do not have the TIME to teach or take horses in training, in any meaningful way. I could probably teach a few lessons a month, but with a full time job, a farm to “repair,” and 3-4 horses to ride, there is no time left. But if I do wind down, then I’d have more time for teaching.

So, what are the perks? Specifically?

I think it goes deeper than just cross-competing in the H/J world. Here in Area II, I see several professionals’ names on the year end Amateur awards who are most DEFINITELY not ammies. I can name at least two who have competed at the 4* level and run their own barns that show up year after year as Master Amateurs.

P.S. According to the Rule Book (maybe Janet can clear this up if I’m wrong), “Amateur certification under this provision is valid for Eventing competitions only and does not confer Amateur status for participation in any other Breed or Discipline.” So maybe it really doesn’t matter for H/J!

Your competition level doesn’t matter, nor does running a barn make you a pro. teaching lessons and training horses does. I’m not saying that there aren’t shamateurs out there, but keep in mind that the rules are pretty specific (even though the rules regarding what counts as remuneration can get complicated).

I gave up my amateur status about 3 years ago when I was doing some teaching/riding camp session in exchange for jumping lessons as I was between horses. I have a major day job and don’t consider myself a professional, but as far as USEF rules go, I would have been considered one that year. I haven’t done anything that would qualify since, but it doesn’t seem worth while to go through the hoops to get my amateur status reinstated.

[QUOTE=FrittSkritt;7046291]

P.S. According to the Rule Book (maybe Janet can clear this up if I’m wrong), “Amateur certification under this provision is valid for Eventing competitions only and does not confer Amateur status for participation in any other Breed or Discipline.” So maybe it really doesn’t matter for H/J![/QUOTE]

That bit is abut something completley different, and does NOT apply to
the **** rider syou are referring to.

Under normal USEF rules, you have to be a USEF member, or pay a separate fee ($30 last time I looked) ti get an “Amateur Card”.

In Eventing, riders do not need to be USEF members until they go Prelim. So there are MANY(truly) amateur riders at the lower levels who do not have a USEF “Amateur Card”.

Therefore, USEA (with USEF agreement) allows these riders to sign a USEA form SAYING they comply with the USEF Amateur rules. They can then compete as Amateurs in Eventing below Prelim.

The point of the phrase you quoted is this-
Someone who is not a USEF member, and has signed the USEA Amateur form may NOT use that to compete as an amateur in a USEF hunter, jumper, dressage, etc. show.

[QUOTE=Janet;7046334]
The point of the phrase you quoted is this-
Someone who is not a USEF member, and has signed the USEA Amateur form may NOT use that to compete as an amateur in a USEF hunter, jumper, dressage, etc. show.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I had two separate thoughts – that people are abusing the USEA amateur status to gain year-end points for the USEA leaderboard (Nutrena or whoever the sponsor is). The second one, regarding the USEF rule I copied down, was in regard to someone who said it had to do with competing in the H/Js as an amateur there… which it apparently does not.

I don’t care at all about points, leaderboards or AEC’s, as the first two simply hold no interest for me and the last is far too expensive and I enjoy long format events far more.

What DOES interest me is cash. LOL! In all seriousness though, I am poor. Broke girl has no shame, I will admit it. I work so hard always trying to better myself and my horse, but there’s only so much I can practically do. So I always enter competitions for scholarships, lessons, etc, which are often restricted to amateurs.

On the national level, there is the USEA Worth The Trust scholarship. We’ve had several smaller awards in Area II, one strictly monetary and one was training. There are a couple more I have also applied for, I just can’t remember details off the top of my head. In addition, there are awards at our long format events for Amateurs and Adult Riders which don’t necessarily require you to have won 1st place (not my usual position, ROFL).

So the opportunities are out there and are valuable enough to me to make it worthwhile to remain eligible.

[QUOTE=Winding Down;7043643]
So, I have worked at being an amateur for years now. I do not take working students. I do not teach lessons for $$. I don’t take $$ for riding others’ horses. I have never accepted any sort of promotional gift.

And what does it get me? Am I missing something?

As an eventer, next to nothing. We have year end awards at the national level, and that’s about it.

So why don’t I just throw in the amateur towel and start teaching lessons here and there and take horses in training? I’ve been competing off and on at the upper levels for years and Lord knows, I’ve taken hundreds of lessons with top trainers. Sooooo…

[I]Amateur: an amateur who looks like an amateur.

Promateur: an amateur who looks like a professional.

Amafessional: a professional who looks like an amateur.[/I][/QUOTE]

The only downside I can see is you’ll have to ride in divisions with the Big Boys; but you’re probably already doing that anyway!

[QUOTE=Lady Eboshi;7047242]
The only downside I can see is you’ll have to ride in divisions with the Big Boys; but you’re probably already doing that anyway![/QUOTE]

Especially since eventing really doesn’t have “amateur” divisions. You just get higher amateur points within the division as a whole.

I do see a disadvantage to missing out on lots of scholarships open only to ammy’s, esp. in Area 1. I am a professional by “the definition” only. Meaning I have another regular job, ride my one horse, and teach some beg. lessons to work of board for horse, and would love to apply for some of the scholarships.

[QUOTE=hldyrhrses;7048823]
I do see a disadvantage to missing out on lots of scholarships open only to ammy’s, esp. in Area 1.[/QUOTE]

I hope you’re aware of the Area 1 educational scholarships, but just in case not: http://www.area1usea.org/2013-Scholarship.htm

The 2013 scholarships have been given out, but keep 'em on your radar for next year.