Unlimited access >

Another neighbor dispute - dogs

Wire transmits shock better than tape and either stainless steel or aluminum is the best wire to transmit a charge. I just can’t remember which is better.

2 Likes

Ground rod system. That’s the most annoying part of electric fencing IMO. I wouldn’t totally rely on the system when the ground is very dry or frozen. I use a Zareba charger for my electric tape cross-fencing and definitely see a wide variation in how strong the zap is based on ground conditions. Hopefully the dogs will get zapped when conditions are good though and then not test it again.

3 Likes

So I’m still confused about the fencing. Your post suggested that the issue was fence fighting through the chainlink. I’m not sure that an electric wire will really change the behavior, other than just not allowing them to touch the fence. They could still race back and forth and bark/menace your dogs. Are they getting into your yard?

I’d go bigger. The 25 mile, or 10 mile. The 2 mile doesn’t hurt very much and if they have thick fur they might not feel it at all.

3 Likes

not strong enough. Get a 10 mile.

1 Like

Also: If you are witnessing the incidents, VIDEO.

Video is very powerful testimony. It would be worthwhile to first show the video to the dog owners. Owners who are dismissing their dogs’ behavior probably don’t grasp what the dogs are doing. The dogs probably don’t behave that way in the owner’s presence. (Children & parents can have the same dynamic.)

In general, when people can see a video it is hard to diminish or dismiss it. Be it law enforcement, a judge, other neighbors, etc.

7 Likes

Sometimes you just have to fence your dogs in and everyone else’s problems out. Even if this neighbor issue is fixed, there will always be another one. Plus, I worry about the nuts that keep buying the next bigger and badder dog. It sucks and it costs a lot, even if you build it yourself. We built a secure perimeter fence and have had zero problems. We sleep well at night, too.

10 Likes

I always get shit for this opinion, but the OWNER of the dog is the one ultimately responsible for protecting their own dog. Yes, it would be nice if every owner of an aggressive dog, if every a-hole human, if every wild animal (rabid, venomous, aggressive or otherwise) stayed clear of your pet, but the world doesn’t work that way, which means we have to take steps to keep our pets safe from the irresponsible and dangerous elements out there. That means your dog, no matter how perfect, should be on a leash in public and in a safely fenced in yard at home.

The number of dogs I’ve seen bit, shot, and hit by cars where the owner wants to explain to me that they’ve been watching this problem coming down the pipeline (aggressive dog in the neighborhood, coyotes moving in, dogs wandering away from home and into the neighbor’s livestock or the road) and they did nothing until the worst possible outcome happened… It breaks my heart and fills me with rage all in one swoop.

Here’s the deal, the owners of these dogs, Animal Control, the County, or whoever/whatever else it takes to get involved to control these dogs will not be really motivated to do so until shit really hits the fan. In my experience shit really only hits the fan once a dog is seriously injured or dead or a person gets bitten. Why wait until that happens when you can just throw up your hands and put a good, solid fence in - I do not count an electric wire fence as a good fence There is a reason we don’t pen dogs with electric fences despite how much cheaper it is.

18 Likes

@Horse_Rider Yes, fair points! We are definitely going to harden our perimeter fence to prevent future incidents. I personally don’t trust electric for that purpose so we’ll be paying a pretty penny to add mesh.

Unfortunately the aggression incident with my husband happened on a shared driveway so there is no way for us to fence the dogs out of that area without participation of the dog owners. Another neighbor was menaced by the same dog on the same driveway before my husband but refused to notify AC or get involved in any way (other than calling me to ask for my advice on what to do and then ignoring it). :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think almost everyone in this thread is in total agreement with you.

The problem is that knowing this is the way things should be, unfortunately does not make them that way.

The problem of irresponsible dog owners, who are as much a danger to their own pets through not protecting them as the pets are to anyone else, will never go away.

2 Likes

I know someone who would capture the dog and take it to the pound every time it came onto the property. Owner finally got fed up enough paying the fee to get it back that he moved. Good riddance.

They did have electric fencing (or board fencing) everywhere. Some of the electric fencing didn’t work due to wire spacing. So I’d say you would want to put in several wires starting around 8" from the ground. Dogs can get small to get through something they want.

7 Likes

All that will accomplish is making your place look like trash. Electric fence or “take care” of the aggressive offenders if they pose a physical threat ( to you or your animals) and come onto your property. Your neighbor would have been in the right to do so.

Even in the country people need to keep their dogs at home or someone will take matters into their own hands if the need arises.

2 Likes

My comments were directed toward OP’s situation of wanting to somehow control the movement of the other dogs and not their own dogs - ain’t possible. If it’s not these aggressive dogs, it’ll be another set of aggressive dogs causing problems. Fences fix the current dog problem and any future roaming dog problems. Your situation sucks because humans must exit safe, fenced in yards on a daily basis to do things like get the mail or get into the car. That means humans get to be right in the path of uncontrolled, aggressive dogs. Fun, right?

The good news is that most Animal Control offices and local police take threats to humans much more seriously than they do threats to other pets. I would have handled it exactly like you did - report, report, report. Most people don’t start caring until it hits them in the pocket and then suddenly they figure out how to control their dogs. Ain’t that the weirdest thing?

10 Likes

We have our ground rod right next to/under the carport that can fill buckets with runoff when it rains. Keeps it good n hot! Like to the point I have had marks on my arm for days when I hit it. Anyway to rig something small up that rain can runoff right near your rod to help with the charge?

3 Likes

I used to empty my water buckets on the grounding rod.

2 Likes

And your ground rod can be almost any metal rod. I’ve used old step-in posts, lengths of threaded steel…just get it at least 16" into the ground and use the suggestions others have said regarding keeping it moist.

1 Like

We had three dogs that belonged to a squatter on a neighbor’s property who regularly threatened people on the street. On separate occasions one of them bit two elderly ladies who used to walk past on their daily constitutionals. The same one threatened my husband when he walked down there he then contacted AC as did the husband of at least one of the ladies. All AC did was send them a letter that a complaint had been lodged. For them to do something about it, we had to provide time stamped video. These were the same dogs that they’d let bark all night long if they wanted to.

They must have taken the letters seriously because we’ve hardly seen the dogs since nor heard them at 2 am.

1 Like

Or someone took care of the problem for you.

5 Likes

I think the electric fence is a great idea. I’d also carry some bear spray and spray the dogs if they come on my property. They are smart and it won’t take more than a couple hits to teach them to stay away. Yes, it’s uncomfortable for the dog but it’s temporary and it’s better than a bullet.

1 Like

[B-burg_Dressage]:
I know someone who would capture the dog and take it to the pound every time it came onto the property. Owner finally got fed up enough paying the fee to get it back that he moved.

I concur … Had a dog chasing my horses. Went to the pasture with three things:
a dog treat
a leash
a pistol

The dog chose well and A/C picked him up.
Neighbor has kept dog penned since.

8 Likes