Unlimited access >

Any Updates on Glue-On Shoes, Especially in Showing?

There are a lot of different types of glue ons from regular aluminums to poly flex, so weight will vary. They are lighter than steel.

I have a horse that lives in glue ons-namely polyflex. He’s a TB who just doesn’t grow enough wall up front to nail on. Standard aluminums were fine, but we found after almost a year in them they were causing his heels to contract, so we swapped to PF. I will never go back, he will be in those or barefoot. It’s a night and day difference in his entire body.

We get 5-6 weeks out of PF and the only thing I hate about them is they are slick, so he is studded on grass anytime we jump when normally I’d only stud for XC.

1 Like

They made my horse move better than steel but not due to weight. IME the whole package with glue ons weighed the same or MORE than steel (package being the shoe, we used Eponas, glue, and packing between shoe and horse, we used DIM and Artimud). She moved better as she was more comfortable in those vs the steel. But she moves the same in hoof boots as the glue ons.

My other horse had regular aluminum shoes glued on which were definitely lighter than the steels. However, IME most glue ons are going to be the composites vs the aluminums.

If your horse is sound barefoot and you want more protection just for riding hoof boots might be a better solution. They are cheaper at least as you get many months/ years (depending on use) out of one set of boots ($150-250 per paid) vs glue ons at $250+ (in my area) every 6 weeks.

Thank you! That is super helpful and might be something that I need to look further into… I appreciate your suggestions!

Sigafoos: prep, application, removal videos