Anyone riding with a coagulopathy?

Thanks for all the responses, I seriously didn’t realize that people can and do ride while on blood thinners. When I was on for the clot in my leg I was told not to ride-- but then, the pain in my leg was so excrutiating there was no way I COULD ride. Also the clot was in such a location that there was increased risk for it to move, so maybe that is why I was told to limit activities.

Anyway that was in 2008 and I thought all this business was behind me, but apparently not.

Yes amastrike you are right-- while I can’t see taking huge risks because I feel responsible for the kiddos, I also can’t see giving up the things I love to do. At this point I don’t even know what the diagnosis is or will be as the information I’ve been given thus far is too complex for me to decipher. So I guess we will just see how it plays out.

Like I said I may just use it as a ploy to convince hubby I need a nice, safe, highly trained, new horse. :wink:

Just want to add that while the quick finger stick testing for INR is a wonderful tool for some, unfortunately it does not work for a small percentage of folks…I am one, the machine goes into “error” mode as there is some factor in my blood that makes a false reading.

Also for anyone on long term treatment…a Medic Alert bracelet or such can be a lifesaver.

-- nhhaflngr

FG-I wish you luck and patience while looking for a diagnosis. Hematology is a very complex field and sometimes just takes time and brainpower.

I don’t think you need to fear discussing riding with your hematologist. With appropriate precautions (of course depending on your discipline) you be able to maintain some form of riding. That “nice, safe, highly trained, new horse” sounds like a fun trail buddy!!

So I managed to piss my body and spent last night in the ER as my doc thought I had another clot in my leg. Thankfully it is just phlebitis that we think came on as the result of half chaps aggravating the veins behind my knee. I know it sounds ridiculous but I had a softball sized swelling behind my knee and horrible pain from knee to toes. Frankly I can deal with the pain, I’m just glad they didn’t find a clot.

Found a great little, fun, safe horse so gonna keep riding him… BUT I have put the half chaps and tall boots aside for good now!