Unlimited access >

Anyone used a mesh corner any feeder?

Decades before those corner feeders came on the market I just made a 30x60 “wall” that I put in the corner to make an easily cleanable corner hay bin.

I took a 30x60 3/4 plywood, framed it out on all 4 sides with 2x4s, stained and applied spar urethane so it looked nice. Added two small screw eyes to one side, two eyes to the stall wall and used 2 small snaps to attach. This was before the zip tie era and that’s what I would use today instead of snaps. The other side was just another screw eye and attached with a snap (obviously not gonna work on concrete walls, but that’s a pain for any add on feeder).

I just swept out the mats in the corner and added hay. If it was really crappy hay it would get tossed out but even then it was mostly slung up the side and trailing over, not tracked. It was super easy to clean (unsnap one side, open, fork out hay) comfortable for horses and larger ponies and moved with me to several barns. It’s STILL propped up against a wall in my feed room, I think it’s 30 years old.

1 Like

@DMK I love the idea that it is removable which also makes it much easier to clean! Did anyone ever get a leg stuck in the “hay” portion? or was it low enough they could just lift it back out?

It really isn’t much different, except that it allows for feeding from the sides (if one’s equid is so inclined) and doesn’t require carpentry work on my part.

If they did, I never saw any evidence of it, so the answer is at worst, it was easy to step back over!

I also had the store do all the cuts for me so it was about 10 min assembly

There was a picture on the internet of someone in England that bought one of those mats with holes in them, like some use in wash stalls and cut it, bolted it to two 2" x 4"s and affixed it in a corner, in a V, with a small space at the bottom.
It seemed a very safe option for a low hay rack.
This was one of those:

B9A5F9F2-ED4E-44D8-AA5F-2F2EADAE2304_4_5005_c

3 Likes

I’m having a hard time visualizing this. I don’t suppose you have a photo?

You can see it in the back corner

2 Likes

Ah thanks. I’ve seen that done in a way that just used boards screwed to the walls. I am trying to avoid taking up floor space.

What about this kind? Easy to fill and no grate to catch teeth on.

I’ve thought of that, but I prefer a more natural head down way of eating.

Before buying anything, have you thought about just putting his hay in a muck bucket, to see if that helps? I realize it takes up some floor space, but it’s usually pretty easy to turn up a clean muck bucket, or one that can be cleaned, and it should give you some proof of concept info.

I have a horse on soaked feed right now, so is getting her hay in a muck bucket, and I can tell you first hand that they hold a fair amount of hay, and tuck into a corner of the stall nicely.

My appy makes a mess if I just put his hay in his feeder; he’ll throw it out and then piss on it wasting about half. I started using a small hole net but he doesn’t have dental issues so while he’s a little perturbed, he’s not wasting a hay which is more valuable than gold.

I think because muck buckets are plastic I don’t consider that safe enough to leave unattended?

I haven’t used muck buckets to feed hay, but used them many times on overnight trail rides to hold water, and they don’t seem as though they would be unsafe, even if emptied, unless there is concern about the rope handles (which could be removed).

I have fed hay in half barrels, made from food-safe barrels. Very safe, IMO, but one of my horses liked to pick his up with his teeth when it was empty, and fling it against the stall wall to let me know – I could easily hear it from the house, and the sound was just as obnoxious as he planned it to be, lol.

I also tried the High Country Plastics corner feeder. The current version is like this, and has a drain plug:

They have a larger version, also, although the description doesn’t mention a drain plug. I removed the ones I had in my barn after I found a yearling had managed to climb partially into the feeder, standing with one front leg inside it. He was unharmed, but the incident encouraged me to remove the feeders.

Too bad, because they otherwise worked well; I had no trouble selling them on.

…what? Why?

I use muck buckets for water. They make muck buckets specifically for water, with a heater. Muck buckets take a beating being used for manure and hold up. Are we talking about the same piece of equipment?

Do you also not leave 5 gallon plastic buckets unattended?

1 Like

5 gallon buckets hang on the wall. It doesn’t seem safe to leave a plastic bucket on the floor where it could be stepped on… I envision a hoof going through the plastic. Fwiw.

I’ve had a horse put her feet in her muck tub waterer and then kick it around the stall.

I’ve also had horses pull five gallon buckets off the wall, so if you think hanging is a sure thing to keep it away from their feet…you might need a different watering solution.

Seriously, they make muck tubs specifically FOR this purpose, and loads of horses use them. And before you say “they must be made differently,” I find that the heated tubs are a bit more brittle than the non heated ones. I’ve broken a bit of the handle off of one.

Obviously do what you want, but this is so far outside of the realm of dangerous, your concern is baffling.

Wow. Awesome. Thanks for your feedback. Regardless of safety, my horse would probably pull it all out or flip it over. As for being made for this purpose I’ve never seen anyone leave a muck bucket in a stall for any reason.

As for buckets hanging I realize the dangers there as well. I just prefer nothing be on the floor of my stall. That’s my preference.

Yeah, that’s kind of the point. If he just pulls all the hay out of the muck tub, it’s not very likely another open top solution is going to do what you want. You can trial the concept without spending the money or installing anything in the stall :woman_shrugging:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/farm-innovators-16-gal-heated-plastic-tub

I’m unsure what the link is for?