Anyone with chronic stomach/GERD issues??

[QUOTE=wateryglen;7389587]
Gluten is an essential nutrient that you should not limit unless medically indicated. [/QUOTE]

Are you serious??

No, gluten is completely INESSENTIAL!

Please cite some support for your contention that gluten is essential.

Nope, not in the mood to engage with another gluten-phobe!! Be well everyone!

Wateryglen, I’m challenging your assertion, not because it is important for you to understand (though that would be good) but for the others reading this thread who know little about the subject.

If anyone is interested in whether gluten is necessary, just google “is gluten an essential nutrient” and you will find absolutely nothing, that is no source claiming gluten is a necessary part of one’s diet. The only thing that comes up about a gluten free diet being unhealthy is if someone eats a highly processed diet using packaged gluten free foods – you can be unhealthy eating that way, as you would if you ate a lot of processed gluten containing foods.

Gluten free basically is eating fruits and vegetables, meats, dairy and some grains (rice, quinoa etc).

“Institute for functional Medicine” web site , the latest and best treatment for Gerd type symptoms and also diet information, physician referral .There s a very successful diet for these issue.
NSAIDs kill your GI system. Long term use of PPI and H2 like Pepcid may also cause long term damage. Those meds cause bone lose and nutritional loss as you need acid to properly digest and utilize your food.
good luck
lots of new science out there, do the research …

Gluten itself is not an essential nutrient.

But the foods that contain gluten often contain vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

So it’s possible to be gluten free and not ingest enough nutrients, if you don’t pay attention to what you are ingesting.

But that’s true of every diet. A vegetarian could ingest nothing but potato chips and probably develop some deficiencies over time.

If a person avoids gluten in an attempt to alleviate digestive troubles, just be sure to eat plenty of healthy foods from other food groups. QED

JSwan – exactly!

Update: So I had a second endoscopy and found out my case was chronic gastritis, not caused by h-pylori bacteria (which is the most common cause and also causes stomach ulcers). So it sounds like years of coffee, wine and liberal use of Aleve just took it’s toll. I gave up coffee and honestly don’t miss it…wine, a bit harder to give up! I am using Prilosec and Carafate (1 tab 4x per day) which is helping but a pain in the butt to remember to take- one hour before or 2-3 hrs after a meal.

Probably the Aleve (NSAID) more than anything else. Ibuprofen caused mine. If you need to take a painkiller now, stick to arthritis strength tylenol. It is not an anti-inflammatory and doens’t work as well, but it doesn’t bother your stomach. Too much will kill your liver though!

You can’t win for nothing!! And who among us who rides is pain free??! My MD gave me Celebrex to take…sort of like Equioxx for horses vs bute.

[QUOTE=TWH Girl;7484117]
You can’t win for nothing!! And who among us who rides is pain free??! My MD gave me Celebrex to take…sort of like Equioxx for horses vs bute.[/QUOTE]

Well, let me know how the Celebrex works out. My MD told me that it was really not all that much better than other NSAIDs when your stomach is already having a problem. Good luck!

Celebrex has been fine on tbe tummy…but it lacks in dealing with any muscle pain and is definitely geared toward joint pain. Overall it’s so-so.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=TWH Girl;7387238]
[For much of the science behind gluten-free eating you could read “Wheatbelly” which is footnoted with hundreds of legitimate studies.

Could this be responsible for the belly fat that I cannot seem to get rid of, no matter what I do?!..

What foods are important to cut out for a gluten free diet?[/QUOTE]

YES. I was just diagnosed with Celiac. Get tested!!

I posted in Off Course about it. After only 4 days, the nausea is subsiding, I have more energy, my head is less foggy, the weight is falling off, and the bloat is disappearing.

The thing is, if it’s Celiac, you must cut out ALL gluten FOREVER. Gluten is hidden in so many places… Anything prepared with vinegar and soy sauce can have gluten, unless it’s gluten free.

If it’s gluten sensitivity, maybe trace amounts of gluten are less of an issue.

I am bumping up an old thread here, and I’m really just doing it to put myself in the advanced search function for some other person in the future.

I was recently diagnosed with microscopic collagenous colitis after suffering with it and many many horrid symptoms I didn’t even know were related for many years. I think my intestine may be irreparably scarred and this is something I am going to have to deal with and manage for the rest of my life.

Sadly I had a terrible reaction to the only drug that seems to be helpful to the majority of people in achieving remission- so the only option left available to me is through dietary changes.

I am just starting on that journey and don’t know how that will go or how much it will help- but it’s all I’ve got to work with.

Gluten is the #1 irritant for people with my condition… followed by dairy… followed by soy. I did not test positive for celiac disease- but I may have a gluten sensitivity. I was so glad to see SMF11 jump in on some of the very misleading things said here about gluten sensitivity. problem is- to test positive for celiac through a blood test- has to be a very extreme situation in your body. The gluten problem can wreck havoc in your digestive system (and also manifest in other seemingly unrelated symptoms like joint pain and migranes) before it will show up in your blood- so blood tests for celiac will not tell you the whole story. There is an independent testing laboratory which has pioneered a way to test for gluten antigens in stool samples- so they can detect problems much sooner or of a milder degree.

For people who are feeling worried about knowing if they are eliminating the right thing from their diet- these tests can take away much of that trial and error. They aren’t cheap. It’s what I want for Christmas. (when you read on you will really understand)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py9wwoUP65o

There is something else I just learned about that seems like a major lightbulb on a whole collection of my symptoms and problems- and that is histamine intolerance. It seemed that if anything was going to work for me- I was also going to have to really work on the histamine situation as well. This problem is well known and understood in Europe- but in the USA it seems that it’s a very quiet group of fringe people who even know about it. You can find a lot of info about it online- no one I’ve mentioned it to has even heard of it.

My (current trial) histamine restrictions have me cutting out-
All alcohol
chocolate
fermented foods or aged meats or cheeses, vinegar
any leftovers
meat that was stored refrigerated raw
etc etc… it’s an exhaustive list but these aforementioned things were big chunks of my diet before.

Then the colitis food sensitivity list (things that might be causing inflamation due to an inapropriate response of my immune system against my digestive system) has me cutting out- all gluten grains and oats, all dairy, and all soy (and soy additives EVERYSTINKINGWHERE) and legume (peas lentils beans)

And then for the icing on the cake- the mechanical issue of the current intestinal inflammation has me unable to eat any salad, raw fruits, uncooked vegetables, or high fiber foods.

So if you want to try to cut gluten out of your diet- and you are convinced that you can’t do it- maybe thinking of me will give you the courage to give it a try.

I haven’t had any progress yet with my digestion- but my constant allergic problems with my nose and sinuses seems to have vanished. another one of those phantom seemingly unrelated symptoms- stress incontinence with urine (yeah double up on allergic sneezing and stress incontinence if you want to be really cranky) that is also GONE. I thought that it was just because I’d had 4 kids. I thought that the only way it was going to get fixed was maybe surgically if I ever wanted to go there… but it’s gone (and yes I have sneezed a few times to know that it’s not just the lack of sneezing that helped me)

Plain, sorry to hear of your chronic issues. Glad you are finding some answers though.

I wish for once, some research would come out that said wine and bread were good for you and shoud be included in your diet!!

and chocolate!

and dark chocolate!