Unlimited access >

Are horses really this high?

I’ve noticed inflation but also think these prices are much more in line with what it costs to make/produce these horses. I bring along all my own horses and it’s not cheap feeding, raising, training, or getting them the mileage/showing experience.

Thinking specifically of my own experience bringing along babies, it costs money to feed them, duh… But it also costs money to make them. Most places require a yearly membership on top of truck in fees, and these young horses need to go out and do things (I do a few times a week) to become good citizens. Then there’s having the lessons with the pros to make sure things are going along well. Then there’s the show fees, the gas, the trailering, etc etc etc… I’ve probably put about $6k into my 4 y/o filly now just on feed and care (vet/farrier/etc) costs alone since she was four months old. And that’s before board (which I don’t pay, horses are kept at home) or showing costs.

That being said, having made all of my own horses – including the horse that sounds like he’s what a few posters in this thread are looking for (uncomplicated, world’s BEST trail horse, eventing/hunting experience), I don’t think you could get me to part with him for less than $15k - and that’s before getting into his dressage training or eventing mileage. He’s pretty fancy in the sandbox, but his best quality is he is the world’s BEST trail and hunter pace/hunt horse.

I agree with the poster that said it’s much harder to make up a safe trail horse than a low level schooling horse. Most horses can go around a well groomed bridle path after a lesson just fine with minimal schooling. Very few horses can truck out alone, hack miles by themselves on the buckle, ford a stream, stand quietly while a train passes, ignore livestock, stand anywhere quietly on the trail while you remove a fallen log, etc – this is TRAINED into a horse and that training & time doesn’t come cheap.

12 Likes

A comment from a local small animal veterinarian " People are working from home, they want a pet, they are paying ridiculous price for such puppies bred as cockerpoos, chiuarusses, puggles, etc, etc, The local humane societies have also noted an uptick in adoptions."

A comment from a local large animal veterinarian, " People are working from home. they have time to fit an at home horse, or an at the barn horse, into their schedule. Horse prices have sky rocketted."

So the word from here for all you shoppers is" I have time". This cycle will pass with both good and bad effects for both dogs and horses.

9 Likes

Training a trail horse takes a been there done that rider. It is also helpful if said green horse is ridden with a been there done that horse.

That’s not always an easy thing tp come by.

6 Likes

It is not an easy thing to come by. In fact, I specifically trained the gelding I mentioned above to tolerate ponying babies on trails – because I had such a hard time finding people who had the time/availability dedicated to true trail riding to ride my BTDT gelding while I rode the greenies. So now I pony them for trails and trot sets on days I don’t have much time. And that skill (ponying) is not an instant button to install - either for the horse being ponied, or the horse doing the ponying!

7 Likes

Sandysmom, of the rescues (i’ve adopted nine total) I would say that each and every one of them could go to another home easily. Whatever ‘issues’ they have, they are not temperamental at all. Though there are some i adopted as pasture ornaments knowing i would not ride them at all, older horses retiring to pasture for the rest of their lives. Some COULD be ridden, but i’m not going to do it. They get a free-ride for the rest of their time on earth. The rideable ones however, are young …8 and under, basically vice-free, strong and healthy and a kind, intermediate rider could trail ride them, and have.

I know the killpen sellers and sketchy donation-begging places are what pops into most peoples’ minds when they hear the word ‘rescue’, but there are some well funded, excellent caregivers out there that do not misrepresent. Exemplified by my homies: https://longmeadowrescueranch.org/

Mustangs are to be had quite readily for less than 1,000…heck less than 500 already gentled. I have some ‘wild ones’ and yesterday i drove my big tractor into their shelter to deliver a roundbale, having first offered them an exit (no takers…too many horseflies out there!) and they just kinda moved out of the way. They are so much more accepting and ‘bombproof’ to outside stimuli once they become ‘people-ed’.

4 Likes

For $125 you can adopt a halter-trained, gentled mustang trained for basic handling (and maybe more):

It’s not uncommon for these TIP mustangs to be started under saddle, depending on the trainer.

At my first mustang adoption event, I was flabbergasted at how quiet and bombproof formerly wild horses become with training.

4 Likes

Thank you for chiming in! Yes, for so many of them, it’s like switching on (or probably more like OFF) a switch. From Wild to Mild.

1 Like

Hello, fellow Arizonan! I’m in Tucson.

I got a great deal on my Appy mix h-j, former dressage horse. Jill Lunsford in Phoenix is a great source for horses of all price points. She does trail trips with her clients, so she knows what makes a good trail horse.

I love the quotes below. So many people, especially around here, are middle-age to older adults who’ve moved to a western lifestyle area. And now they want a trail horse. Maybe they rode decades ago, maybe not. A lot of them don’t grasp that their fantasy horse needs a sane mind, decent conformation and a lot of slow, consistent training. That costs money.

Ultimately all they see is the finished product. They don’t realize that first I had to pluck a suitable horse from obscurity, get it broke in the arena, and then spend countless hours hauling out to trails and exposing it to mountain bikers, traffic, deer, cattle, water crossings and opening/closing ranch gates. My time and horsemanship experience is worth something.

Wow, did that sound like a rant?!? :rofl:

16 Likes

Yes, I have been looking for a new endurance horse and I’ve given up. Backyard bred,unregistered, gaited, yahoo “trained” trail horses are currently going for over $10K regularly. Saw one the other day for over 30K.
I can’t help but wonder how this is going to go when it nose dives. These prices aren’t sustainable

3 Likes

If you want an already trained, actual trail horse then yeah…it probably isn’t going to be cheap. This is a horse that you’re in many instances going to be trusting with your life if you’re really going out there and not just piddling around outside the arena and calling it a trail ride. It needs to be sane and well-trained (training which often requires greater risk than just putting some rides on a greenie in the arena where there is much less chance of wildlife jumping out at you or other random encounters). And almost everybody wants one. After all it’s what the majority of non-competitive riders want to do, to some extent.

(That being said upwards of 30k for a trail horse, even a good trail horse seems a bit much to me for a horse you’re likely only ever going to leisure ride and never compete with…who is paying those prices?)

The problem is too many sellers advertise a horse they clearly can’t call a show pony or dubious prospect of some sort as a “trail horse”. It’s like the catch all bag in sales ads. So people often think a good trail horse is something that should be on the cheaper end as a result. It’s not going to win any ribbons but you can put a saddle on its back so it’s a trail horse! Must be! But a truly good trail horse is worth its weight in gold and is a combination of good temperament, a conformation that is sound, and a lot more time and training than some people realize. There’s a lot more skills the horse must have than just not being spooky. The number of “I took em out on a ride and didn’t die so he’s a good trail horse” or various equivalents I saw while searching…

Prices have gone up for a variety of reasons. Not sure if they’ll go back down. My personal prediction is while they may go down again eventually I don’t think we may see low prices like we did before. Rescue/adoptions and “projects” remain relatively cheap, of course. But those are horses only those with proper experience and resources are willing and able to take on. And the number of people who can handle those cases are much fewer than anyone will admit.

Higher prices is a discussion that’s common these days. Even in used equipment buy/sell groups I regularly see overpriced items. These are basically e-garage sales and yet people have the gall to ask for a clearly very well used item for about the same price you could get it used. What was already an expensive endeavor before is getting only more expensive. I think part of that is due to strains on manufacturing and the supply chain due to lock downs/restrictions and hopefully we’re starting to see the tail end of that.

3 Likes

At the horse pens in Burns, OR, that’s how they deliver the hay. Huge tractors drive up and unload right in front of them. The three I’ve had never turned a hair at a tractor either in their pen or going right up to it while it was running.

I’ve always said “trail horses are made, not born.” Not all horses can become trail horses just by giving it experience. I’ve had two that just didn’t have the mental ability to become safe, reliable trail partners. One was a homebred filly who even though she came out of one of the best trail horses I’ve ever ridden, was a nervous wreck out on trails, the other couldn’t understand the concept of watching his footing and made bad choices when negotiating certain areas. Both found other jobs they were more suited for.

5 Likes

Most wildies are basically sane horses because they have grown up in natural herd situations, they have learned the horsey rhthymns of now we run, now we relax. Also I think a feral population selects for common sense. Whatever blood is in the mix, you dont get amped up OTTB or Arab behaviour persisting. Once they get tamed and accept the new environment they tend not to be fence pacers, stall walkers, cribbers, etc.

As a kid I had a Canadian wildie off an Indian reserve that did a year or two on a dude string. Fantastic horse for me at the time, best trail horse ever, for sure-footed and stamina. Fast off the mark when you wanted speed. But she came well broke but totally green to schooling, and I put all that on her learning as I went. Flying changes, sliding stops, roll backs, spins.

Her down side for an adult’s horse was she was only 14.2, and while she had tough functional conformation and developed into a cute little horse, she didn’t really have performance conformation for any discipline.

But someone that is an adult today looking for a going trail horse isn’t going to want to spend 3 years learning how to school a dude string horse. Or a raw halter broke mustang.

I really admire the ability to add skills and value to a horse, and strive to do this. But I have to admit it often takes much much longer than you expect and very often the ammie with a green horse never quite gets where they expected. Me included, in retrospect.

If you have a goal, often it really is smarter to buy a horse already doing the job. That’s true in dressage and jumping. But it’s also true in back country trail riding. If it is January and your goal is to ride a particular loop in the Rocky Mountains in July, or participate in a cattle round up in May, or deer hunting in October, then you should be getting a fully broke trail seasoned horse.

Back country riding is not a competition but it’s a discipline in the sense that it requires a set of skills and attitude and conformation for both horse and rider.

It’s no fun to go out for hours on a horse that gets foot sore or jigs or trips on logs or can’t use his hind end going down hill or lacks stamina and can’t do multiple days of long rides or balks or bucks or over reacts to cattle bears deer ATVs or gunfire. Or doesn’t trailer and tie like a saint. My Paint is actually the best trail horse in my social circle and we do a lot of babysitting my friends on their horses. But even my Paint does not have quite the stamina of my teenage honey. Paint is 16 hands and solid muscle, weighs at least 50% more than the honey, and gets winded much faster on hills than my friends Arab.

In general lines of working QH come factory loaded with a predisposition to this life, but they still need miles and exposure and sensible training.

Before the pandemic a good ranch horse like this was selling for trail riding for about $5000. That’s not cheap. When I returned to riding about 15 years ago, $5000 would get you a nice enough kid’s jumper, a quiet TB with local miles.

At my barn, self board recreational, almost everyone buys projects. The riders with some skills move forward but slowly, even the approved coaches have setbacks in their personal horses. The returning adults and the adult beginners have a very long road ahead of them. It’s very hard to school a green horse when your own seat and hands need work.

If you can take a green horse and get him to where you want in a couple of years, that is a fantastic skill set. But if 5 or 10 years down the road you are still having to work around training or behavorial issues you can’t fix, that free or $1000 horse is no bargain.

Anyhow, for folks with time and skills, project horses can be a fantastic learning experience. But for those with a set goal, less time, and less inclination to spend the summer at groundwork clinics relearning the basics :), they are not the best choice.

8 Likes

possibly the same who are paying $100,000 for F350 Limited pickup to tow the $175,000 trailer

9 Likes

My jaw hit the floor at the final bids on the recent Extreme Mustang - $20k, $18k, $10k etc. Wow.
https://championhorsesales.com/auctions/category/2021-kentucky-extreme-mustang-makeover

Gorgeous horses, talented trainers but hadn’t recalled seeing prices like this? Am I wrong?

1 Like

I think some of the other Mustang Makeover events are more high-profile than the one we have here, but in past years the top horse is normally under $10K. Like $6K, so those prices seem crazy to me.

1 Like

This one went for $20,100…?! :flushed:

“ he needs corrective trimming and shoeing due to having long pasterns and an overreach in his movement. He has shown signs of possible future DSLD”

4 Likes

WOW! Did not see that.

Can I just say that I briefly envision horses smoking weed every time I see the title of this thread? :rofl:

28 Likes

Ten years ago we could go to a ranch horse sale out west and get a good horse for around 7K. Now they average 23K. Good for the cowboys making them but wtf. They are plain little quarter horses. I can get a green broke horsefor that.

3 Likes