Unlimited access >

Are you having trouble finding Royal Canin vet cat food?

Feline Royal Canin calm RX kibble has been hard to find. I used to have it on autoship from my vet, but that just stopped coming. Was able to get bags from chewy but now they are out too.

I went to petsmart and got their regular urinary SO kibble to hold us over, but most of the royal canin shelves were pretty empty.

I’ve had no problem getting their beloved canned Fancy Feast Pate, just RC. hopefully this shortage does not last long.

I went to PetSmart yesterday and got the medical approval card. Went to a PetSmart a short trip away this evening and was able to get a case. There were a couple of ladies there looking for food for their dog. I got lucky, they didn’t.

Yep, there have been random shortages. At some point last year I had trouble finding Cat Chow Gentle, which is the only food that doesn’t give my cat digestive issues (yes, I tried a lot of the expensive grain/allergen etc free foods). Out of stock everywhere, even online. Apparently they had just stopped producing it for a while. Luckily I had stocked up and just had enough to squeak by until I finally spotted it on Target online and ordered 3 bags, which I fully did not expect to come, but they did. After that it started showing up in the stores again.

Lately it’s both canned cat and dog food. At some points the entire aisle is almost wiped out.

I see I’m not the only one. I try to get enough canned cat food for the month and last 2 times I’ve been to Walmart the shelves were pretty bare. I usually get friskeys and it must be shreds or chunks. I got what they had along with cups of meow mix and last time got some Sheba chicken and turkey. Only one cat likes that. Yesterday I had to go to tractor supply whose shelves were pretty bare. I got 9lives which is edible but not a big favorite. It does have plenty of gravy which apparently makes it tolerable. I also got friskies but it’s pate.it’s seafood so they might make an effort to choke it down. Haven’t tried it yet.

My cat was eating the Royal Canin prescription renal canned food. Now that it is out of stock everywhere I have switched to Weruva Chicken Checkmate, Weruva Chicken and Turkey Topsy Turvy, and Weruva TruLuxe Steak Frites. They are all low phosphorus and moderate protein, appropriate for a cat with chronic kidney disease. My cat is actually doing really well on these foods. If you have a cat with CKD that ate Royal Canin and now you need to find other food options for them I highly recommend these food lists to help you find alternatives: www.ckdcatfoods.xyz

2 Likes

I was having the same issue with Royal Canin SO . I called Royal Canin and they were able to give me a list of vendors who had it in stock. I was able to have my vet send the RX and i had it in 3 days from Pet Flow.

1 Like

A client has her cat on the hypoallergenic Royal canine (diet version), and has been having a lot of trouble getting it in too, fortunately two of my other clients have contacts in the pet food industry and are able to network to find food at other clinics, even so she has had to compromise and get the non-diet version. It is apparently a combination of increased demand and pandemic related supply disruptions.

Would you feel comfortable sharing the phone number you called? I would love to get a list of vendors who have the food I am looking for in stock. Even checked Pet Flow, but they don’t carry it.

The number for Royal Canin is 800-592-6687. Monday - Friday 8am-4;30pm CST

Is there a pet food shortage? (yahoo.com)

Thank you very much!

1 Like

@shiloh thanks for the article link