Unlimited access >

Attention: Grooms

That is not nearly enough. I worked 6 days/week (no stall cleaning), 10-12 -hr days and in addition to pay, got a small studio apartment on site, board for one horse, and lessons with the owner whenever they were home between shows. I got paid the amount you’re getting, over 20 years ago!!!

I did get somewhat burned out, but did love the years I spent there. I did end up switching to a non-horse job, getting my ammie status back, and now I love life a lot more. As others have said, you need to think about long term security, because it’s not realistic to be doing what you’re doing now at age 60.

When we have barn help, we pay $15/hr. I think even if you generously count the living space value, you’re making much less than that.
Personally, I’d ask for a significant raise, enough regular time off to hold a second p/t job, or walk away.
Think about why you’re doing what you’re doing? Is the current position helping you attain long term goals? If not, what can you do that would help you down that path?

3 Likes

I just took a job as a barn hand/groom/whatever my boss needs for 5 days a week and roughly 40 hours (possibly more as the barn fills back up). I will be making about the same as you with 2 days off a week. This isn’t a facility in an affluent area (honestly kinda a horse backwater), however the owners understand the need for days off.

1 Like

To me, the most glaring issue is that the OP agreed to take care of five horses for a set compensation, and ended up with eight horses for the same compensation. That is a huge increase in the workload, nearly double, without any change in pay. That’s not right.

15 Likes

This 100%. I used to take care of this lady’s horses occasionally when she was out of town. She used to have 3 horses and it used to be VERY basic and it could take me 15 minutes in my way to and from work. Then she got another horse and added a whole bunch of extra chores so that it would have taken 4 times as long and then had the nerve to ask for a discount. Nope!

Honestly some people have a way of making you feel like you should be appreciative of the peanuts they pay you but once you walk away you’ll feel so much better.

4 Likes

Yes, and this is an objective fact that OP can raise with the employers, request additional compensation for, and remain professional all around. Getting burned out is understandable but also not exactly their problem; wishing for holidays is understandable but not industry standard and also not exactly their problem, but this is an objective issue.

Assuming they agree that additional compensation is warranted, OP may or may not have influence over what that compensation is. Certainly a preference for an additional day off could be tactfully requested, but the employer could very well decide that they prefer to pay more and not deal with staffing an additional part time day. (Preaching to the choir here, I know.).

One presumes they could easily hire a series of 23 year olds to do the job (with the 8 horses) for the compensation that the OP is currently getting. Not to say that that’s a good thing, just that it is. I’m sure that the employer is thrilled to have a mature adult who doesn’t need to worry about retirement! Maybe thrilled enough to meet the op’s wish list, maybe not. In OP’s position, I would be keeping an eye on other job postings. That will give them a better idea of the market in the area as well as potentially allow them to find a better-compensated position than this one.

OP, as mentioned above, you could work regular retail, etc, and make more money (hourly) than this job. And with you not needing to being in it for the money, there’s little reason to put up with a job you’re burning out on.

2 Likes

FWIW industry standard of no vacations is NOT a universal standard of grooms. Most long term professional grooms who work legally for real people and places have vacation time just like many other professional jobs.

What we are talking about here, and in so many US equestrian jobs isn’t really a full time professional groom job, but more a generally illegal and exploitative jack of all trades 24/7 job that the young and the desperate take. That desperation might just be desire to be around horses all day, but it relies on exploiting a desire and can mean something very different every day and in different places.

This isn’t really what it means to be a professional groom.

12 Likes

sort of the same thing as groom job but only dealing with ass end of the horse

6 Likes

I know you aren’t referring specifically to my comment (way) above, but I will clarify that when I personally referred to not expecting holidays off, I meant statutory holidays, not vacations. I’m in total agreement - of course, vacations should be allowed! The OP should clarify (and schedule) that with her employers sooner than later. Every professional grooming job I’ve done has made vacation time available, and paid for it up to a certain amount too (though granted, 2 weeks or 4% was legally required in the jurisdictions I worked. I certainly can’t speak for other places).

Holidays are a different story. It’s not like an office that just closes. (1) Horse shows happen during a large number of holidays. If you need staff for the horse show, it’s hard to give everyone the holiday off. (2) Horses do horse things every day. So someone needs to take care of those needs…yes, concessions are often made where possible (especially for Christmas), but someone needs to be there. Even “just barn work” without bringing show grooming into it, needs to work this out. Again, where I’ve worked, there is no requirement for stat holiday pay (or overtime) because we are classed as “near farming”, but some employers do give extra holiday pay anyway.

As for the 5 vs 6 day week, I’ve seen both (and 5.5 too). Around here 5 is more typical if it’s just barn work, 6 for show grooming. Tuesday to Sunday is the typical show world schedule because it follows the schedule of the show. Even on non-showing weeks, it’s easiest to have the same people doing the same detail care on the riding days, and then the off-day person can just stick to the basics. Of course, many times extra days off are squeezed in when the show schedule is lighter. But whatever the case, I’ve never gone into a job not knowing/being told exactly what and how many days I would be expected to work.

OP, what kind of conversation (if any) did the owners have with you when the three additional horses were added to the herd? Was there a question of you being able to handle it or requiring additional help? Has only one person usually taken care of all the duties for the entire barn?

1 Like

Everyone works five days a week at the farm where I ride (different for show staff, who work 6 while on the road but 5 at home). We have separate staff for weekends. I’ve also known plenty of barns where staff work 5.5 or 6 days.

In my opinion, doing all that for eight horses is too much, day in day out. I think it’s worth talking to the employers about bringing in a second staff member who could work either an extra day (giving you a five day week), or a couple of afternoons a week so you can finish earlier or at least get ahead of the jobs.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this, and even at the smaller, private barns I’ve ridden at, there have always been two staff members. Even if it was just a part-time boarder who would come in 2 days a week to do the daily chores and ride one or two horses. In addition to everything else we’ve talked about in this thread, it’s a great deal of pressure for one person to feel as if the entire responsibility of the barn lies on her shoulders, whether she is sick or well, exhausted or not. Things do happen, and it would worry me if the barn had no contingency plan on a day the OP absolutely could not come in (because of injury, appointment, or emergency).

2 Likes

Our help does not work more than five days per week, they get all holidays off, and also get up to 3 weeks of vacation time per year. I know this is not the norm in the horse world, but it should be. At a minimum holidays should be rotated.

6 Likes