Unlimited access >

Automatic Waterers/ hacks

Wow, I’d be really concerned if any of mine drank less than 5 gallons over 12 hours! Glad it works okay for you, though.

Heated muck tubs hold 16 gallons to the rim. Not 20 :slight_smile:

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. I’m just saying it’s not my experience. My horses don’t get stalled much, only in terrible weather. They tend to lie right down and go to sleep. They don’t drink much while they’re stalled.

If I hang 2 5 gallon buckets that’s 10 gallons total. They usually will drink one. I actually have buckets that are bigger than 5 gallon (I can’t remember where I got them but I love them) so they probably have closer to 12 gallons total.

yeah, same. vxf111— basically, I can lift a bucket of water, but not a muck tub full ! (oh and Simkie…I know the heated muck tubs are 16, and the non heated are around 20/thus why I listed those 2 sizes… but still WAY too heavy for me to move in and out of stalls to dump and clean. )

1 Like

… that’s why you wait until they’re empty or close to it? If I ever need to dump a full tub (very rarely–like when a mouse drowns or something, has happened once or twice?) I bail it out with a bucket. There is nearly never a need to dump a full tub. Why would there be?

I’m glad you have a system that works for you! I do, too. And the things that you’re saying make it waaaaaay too hard just … aren’t an issue. :slight_smile:

B/c horses like to shit in their buckets, and i am sure they would also shit in a FULL muck bucket of water, which would then have to be cleaned out.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never had that happen. Not once. Sorry you face that issue!

i don’t, but many of my friends do. My horse lives outside with a shelter and automatic waterer.

We have Nelsons here and they’re great. Even when its consistenly below 10F and even down to -30F with wind chill. We have had to replace parts over the past 10+ years but I absolutely wouldn’t be without them. Based on how they work I’d say the fire risk isn’t any more than having electricity in your barn.

1 Like

I’ve had Nelsons at several farms over the past 30 years and love them. My current farm has them as well, and now I’ve fenced a new pasture that is too far to run electric for heating the Nelsons so I’m installing a Bar Bar A waterer there next week. Hoping it works as well as the Nelsons have!

Hi - I know this is an old post. I’m wondering if you still prefer the nelson waterers to the jug brand? Is there anything in particular that you liked better in the nelson and hated with the JUGs? Thanks

Hi - I know this is an old post. I’m wondering if you still like your Drinking Posts? Any pros or cons or things you wish you could change about them? Any freezing issues you’ve had since getting them? Thanks

Jug are at the farm i board and i used to have the nelson at a friends place. I hate that the Jug brand are always growing algae amd are difficult to keep clean. The nelson are so wasy to clean.

1 Like

Thanks, that helps a lot to know, one of the claims on the website says no algae.

I still love mine! And a friend of mine loved it so much as well that she reached out to them for employment, and she works for them now!

I will say that I usually winterize them with Vaseline through the gasket- makes the water fill slower, but horses aren’t slaves to time. They’ve had no complaints. A little bit of water will freeze around the base if it sprays- I wouldn’t set them in concrete. I have mine in limestone screenings and no one has had any issues. The frozen rock isn’t in a foot path- too close to the post.

One thing the BO did was to run them off a separate well. The land has been farmed since 1863 and the dug well took care of the house when she bought the property. She put in a new well for the house. She ran pipes from the dug well to a small barn where the pump was installed. There is a generator outlet. Nelsons outside. She added hydrants in the big barn with the stalls. They are well insulated. It’s nice not to have to worry about someone getting up at the crack of dawn to pound ice.

It’s nice not to have to worry about someone getting up at the crack of dawn to pound ice.

that is specifically why we moved south, I can deal with the heat but frozen water is something that defeats me