Unlimited access >

Automatic Waters for Pastures

[QUOTE=LadyBug;8515816]
Good to know! Thanks. And there’s nothing in the waterer that a muzzle could get hung up on? They wear Greenguard muzzles and breakaway halters of course, but I’m picturing some component getting caught, pulling off, and water spraying everywhere in the pasture. I’m going to have to seriously look into this as a spring/summer project.[/QUOTE]

Another update for you: Greenguard has done some testing and published a list of waterers that do and do not work with their muzzles. Here it is if you’re interested: https://www.greenguardequine.com/blogs/news/automatic-waterers-and-your-greenguard-muzzle

Being an west aussie i don’t have to deal with freezing temps (generally) but i do have to deal with a problem child wb who is a pro at breaking auto waterers.

We (ie my OH) ended up going for this cheapy online and then attaching it to a big blue 100 L half drum. Its been a big success so far and a very cheap but neat looking setup.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-3-4-Automatic-Water-Level-Control-Valve-Ball-Cock-Solar-Tank-Accessories-/291644614049?var=&hash=item43e75fa5a1:m:miis7VWRuogAIaBERbAfkfw

Varnan Waterer

I love my Varnan waterer. Double wall insulated uses geo thermal. I do have the heated version. But went thru 3 brutal winters with many sub zero temps without it being hooked up. Easy to install, genius in its simplicity. I highly recommend it. My friends with Nelsons all have problems. Its a great product

Whichever brand, just make sure you add electric for some sort of heater. I was talked into some that were not suppose to freeze and work on a geothermal principle. BS! Hate them. Freeze all the time.

I’ll be trenching electric and replacing them next summer. What a big waste of money.

Hi - I know this is an old post. I’m wondering if you still like your Varnan Waterers? Any pros or cons or things you wish you could change about them? Thanks

Hi - I know this is an old post. I’m wondering how you’r mirafounts and Drinking Post Waterers have been for you? Any pros or cons or things you wish you could change about them? Would you pick one over the other now? Thanks

I have a Miraco. Decent but not sturdy like my Nelson’s of old. I won’t buy another one. Construction just seems flimsy and as such it’s already been repaired twice. Minor repairs but the thing is only 2 years old and without hard use.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience!