Unlimited access >

Bad hoof injury

Am I the only one in disbelief the vet merely prescribed antibiotics for this??? No way. No how and it’s healing? Can you post pics of the wound updated because this is truly unbelievable.

4 Likes

She’s also getting pain meds. What else do you think should be done?

Stall rest, daily cleaning, bandage changes, packing gauze, scrub, etc etc.

1 Like

She’s getting all that except stall rest. My friend only has a run in with a dirt floor that’s muddy. He’s been keeping her in the backyard as that’s the driest place around. She’s putting weight on the foot so moving around may be good for her overall health.

2 Likes

My mare had a similar injury, and I have cared for a few of these over the years, including on my vets horse while my vet was on vacation. It looks like there is significant coronary band involvement so I would suspect that the hoof won’t grow out very well below the injury. Honestly not a huge deal, bar shoe should be sufficient when the time comes.

Stall rest to me is negotiable - if she’s not being crazy and you can keep it clean I don’t see a huge issue in letting her wander around a bit. Not sure what hoof boot your friend got, but I would recommend an easy boot RX to help keep it clean, this is what I have used in the past and it has worked well (and is cheeper in the long run with less bandaging supplies needed). I ended up getting one for the other foot as well so the horse wasn’t so lop sided.

Honestly if she’s on antibiotics and has pain control on board, keep it clean and then just wait. Have the vet trim proud flesh off (don’t use anything OTC - they delay healing and are also extremely painful) as it arises. Best of luck to your friend!

Hope the horse is improving. Any news from your friend?

Here’s a picture of her. Hope it loads

4 Likes

Poor thing. I feel for her owner as well.
She looks well cared for. Hoping for the best!

2 Likes

Hope she’s feeling better!

@Sandysmom How is the mare’s injury coming along?

Haven’t heard anything lately so I’m assuming she’s doing ok. Weather has dried up some so I’m hoping that helped.

I hope she’s doing well. I’d be really freaked out if I had a horse with that injury. It looks like a long term recovery with a lot of commitment on the owners part, not to mention the farrier’s.
I don’t know if other people have horse responsibility nightmares, but mine always had to do with hooves.

Wow - of course it had to be a hind leg. My experience: horses hate that feeling that “something has my leg” and fight the wrap, boot, … . Jingles continue for this stoic mare.

1 Like

@Sandysmom, any news?

2 Likes

Anything at all?

He posted a pic of her today mugging for cookies. He says her hoof is looking much better. It will be a long haul but she is improving.

9 Likes

That’s good news. Thanks for the update.

Glad she’s doing well. That looked horrific at the beginning. I hope she continues to heal well.

1 Like

Another update on my friend’s mare. He reports that her hoof is healing well and she may be back to light riding by September.

18 Likes

That’s great news. Any chance of a photo?