Barn fire - Rittenhour Equine Centre - many reiners lost

Some internet speculation says that a fire hit a gas line and then sparked the insulation in the roof. That story has there being an apartment or some form of living quarters as the origination for the fire. I can see that actually: coffee pot or hot plate catching fire (Iโ€™ve had a coffee pot do that, as I was there in the kitchen), maybe a gas line to a hot water heater? And the insulation in those big metal clad buildings is often very flammable and very toxic.
(in other words, those appliances in the tack room/lounge? They are a danger)

3 Likes

That is so scary knowing how many barns keep those items in tack rooms, lounge areas, or offices.

Looking at various TikToks and photos, there are cheap box fans over cross tie areas.

The walls have the somewhat rough-surfaced spray on insulation.

Thereโ€™s likely a haze of shavings dust and just plain old dust covering those walls and cellings.

1 Like

The photos of the barn on FB look just like that: a large warehouse type building, nearly fully enclosed by sheets of metal on the outside. Iโ€™m not familiar with barn construction/design in the midwest. Is that common ?

1 Like

It looks like a pretty standard pole barn design/construction to me.

1 Like

https://fb.watch/sEbkddDt7w/

https://fb.watch/sEbnYCa4kg/

This is all metal. the stalls inside were typical steel frames with wood boards, likely some all-steel stalls as well.

2 Likes

Mardi I think one of the buildings is a fully enclosed indoor arena and the other is the main barn. Few windows in either building. Not horse friendly, but then it was Clinton Andersonโ€™s place first and heโ€™s not known for his empathy.

4 Likes

Posted by Anna Russell on Facebook:

How strong is the Rainbow Bridge?

Strong enough to hold a pony,
and a future Derby Champion?
Strong enough to hold a super sonic gelding and the most special palomino baldy mare?
Strong enough to hold your pinky, and a teenagers dream?
Strong enough to hold the finest stallion in the land?
Strong enough to carry the offspring of a French girl, and a dashing vigilante who thought he was a rockstar, and his sidekick?
Strong enough to hold your born and raised dream?
Strong enough to hold the last of a legacy?
Strong enough to carry a motherโ€™s turn in the pen?
Strong enough to hold a too young mother?

Strong enough to hold a herd of dreams?

On June 8th a herd of loved horses travelled that strong rainbow bridge.

Ears are perked, manes are flying, tails are swishing.

It would not have been a low-key sound; 176 hooves clip-clopping over the bridge.
Some are walking,
some are trotting,
Some are galloping.

A squeal here and neigh there.

Can you hear it?

13 Likes

So beautiful and also so profoundly sad.

3 Likes

Article in Sports Illustrated.

I watched the coverage on Tomโ€™s podcast recently, they go into some detail:

3 Likes

The various fundraisers for the families raised 1.2 million dollars

11 Likes