Unlimited access >

Barn Inspections

[QUOTE=SparklyBlueAlter;8667185]
Our inspection definitely was NOT low pressure and it took an hour and a half.[/QUOTE]

Holy moly.

There is an additional statute in MA regarding licensing for stables offering horses for hire or riding lessons, and there are guidelines for that, and an inspection to determine whether they are met which is more detailed than a private barn. It includes standards for feed storage, health and soundness of horses, and maximum work loads (and logs that need to be kept). I can see that taking longer than a quick barn inspection to count heads, see that the manure pile isn’t leaching into the town drinking supply, and that there are no animals standing around with gaping wounds, but an hour and a half sounds pretty intense.

Any chance someone has been complaining?

[QUOTE=Ghazzu;8667209]
Holy moly.

There is an additional statute in MA regarding licensing for stables offering horses for hire or riding lessons, and there are guidelines for that, and an inspection to determine whether they are met which is more detailed than a private barn. It includes standards for feed storage, health and soundness of horses, and maximum work loads (and logs that need to be kept). I can see that taking longer than a quick barn inspection to count heads, see that the manure pile isn’t leaching into the town drinking supply, and that there are no animals standing around with gaping wounds, but an hour and a half sounds pretty intense.

Any chance someone has been complaining?[/QUOTE]

No, but that someone might just be me. We ended up getting 2 violations, both for ridiculous things. One being for failure to provide shelter, and the city AC inspectors (who are all dog people) told us they were probably going to mandate all the barns building shelters in the paddocks for the horses but that that was up in the air because some people might have money constraints because building anything is sort of expensive. But keep in mind, my horses stay outside unless there’s bad weather or in case of high summer temperatures. They HAVE a barn. I’m in Texas by the way, by the coast. We are currently stalling due to heavy rains we just received. My horses are high and dry, and so is our barn. Everywhere else around us was flooded in. :mad:

Gracious, you aren’t near Houston are you? The one operation received a great deal of negative publicity during the recent flooding what with the horses getting washed away on national TV. Even if not near Houston there may be some local rebound effect from someone in your area watching that and deciding they didn’t want to see something like the associated charges mixed up with the name of your local area. It does happen like that sometimes.

[QUOTE=SparklyBlueAlter;8667297]
No, but that someone might just be me. We ended up getting 2 violations, both for ridiculous things. One being for failure to provide shelter, and the city AC inspectors (who are all dog people) told us they were probably going to mandate all the barns building shelters in the paddocks for the horses but that that was up in the air because some people might have money constraints because building anything is sort of expensive. But keep in mind, my horses stay outside unless there’s bad weather or in case of high summer temperatures. They HAVE a barn. I’m in Texas by the way, by the coast. We are currently stalling due to heavy rains we just received. My horses are high and dry, and so is our barn. Everywhere else around us was flooded in. :mad:[/QUOTE]

Get familiar with your state laws regarding horses or possibly hire an attorney who would know or be able to advise you.