Unlimited access >

Barn Wiring and Lighting Advice

We are (I think) going to close on a farm Aug. 3 or thereabouts & we are building a new barn immediately so I am interested in anything anyone has to say about wiring.

We have hired an electrician - many, many years experience, worked for Delaware Park (racetrack) for years wiring their barns, now works for a contractor doing commercial wiring. Our barn will be a side job for him. However, I always try to know about things and keep an eye on things, even when I am not actually doing it.

We just finsihed ahving ours installed by electricians.They finsihed the wiring today, as a matter of fact. Everything is the highest quality and safety, conduit everywhere (hidden and not, GFCI, trippers, breakers, grounded, etc) and the bar has it;'s own supply right from the street with it;'s own transformer. Not sure about where you live, but here in CT we have to have a licensed electrician doing any electrical work if we’re going to pass building inspection. By law. It was worth it…the work is fabulous.

If we were doing our barn over again, I would make several changes regarding lights and electricity.

1. I would put a light over every stall with a separate switch. (It’s just a 6-stall barn, so the expense shouldn’t be that much.) Not having light in a stall when I need it is a pain in the neck, even if it’s just to clean a stall that was just used.

2. A double row of lights in the aisle and at the grooming stall. The single row of lights just isn’t sufficient, although if I had lights over each stall, the double row on the aisle might be overkill. But the double row at the grooming stall would be much better illumination of what I’m grooming.
    An option would be three rows of lights, one over each row of stalls and the third down the barn aisle, each with a separate switch.

3. Since we live in South-Central Texas, our barn is wide open and the humidity plays havoc with fluorescent lights. Therefore I would not use fluorescent lights again.

4. I would not let the barn builder put the electricity box in the middle of the wall where the tackroom door is, rendering the remainder of that wall useless. (It’s just one of those little annoyances that I think of whenever I grouse about not having enough hanging storage space.)

5. Mr. OH decided after the fact to add electrical heating tape to our automatic waterers (after we had freezes that necessitated turning off water and draining pipes). Hindsight being 20/20, I would have those wired in also. (Of course, I don’t know that it’s been a problem since then due to where we live – see #3.)

6. I sure wish I had a ceiling fan over the grooming stall and I wish I had a small air conditioner/heater in the tack room to maintain a more hospitable environment for tack. (After 10 inches of rain last month, I’ve been scrubbing mildew off everything.)

Well, I could go on, but I think that’s about it for the electricity.

If you are breeding horses put an additional lighting circuit in your foaling stalls and use the blue 25 watt “party” bulbs available in Walmart. They give enough light to see how to work by without bothering the mares. They also work better for video systems than the built in Infared sources.

3-way the barn lights to the house. If you use a video system also 3-way the blue light circuit.

When trenching from the house to the barn for anything add in the trench a 1 1/2 inch black polyethylene pipe that you can pull wires through that you forgot.

You might want to search for postings from tgcelec- or email or PT her. She is a master electrician.

You have to remember that rodents like barns, so doing the cable or conduit thing will make it so the mices can’t chew on the tasty wires.

1 Like

oh FARMDAD…

So is using metal (very heavy) conduit a bad thing? Is it only because of corrosion or is possible conduction a problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HFSH:
We’re following the latest and greatest code book. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which brings me to a question we’ve been struggling with through house repair and barn building . . . where do you get the dang codebook? All we hear from the inspector’s office is that 1) it has to meet code and 2) they can’t tell us what code is . . .

going all out [edit metal conduit not to code]
heavy wall [threaded] conduit for all exposed areas,
regular conduit for non exposed. [current code requires pvc conduit]
ground fault outlets
arc interrupt breakers.
run a green [earth ground] wire in all conduit.
[how many times have you seen disjointed conduit?]

The farm I used to board at used to shut off power to the barns at night after the last “bed check”, about 1 am. The owners lived thre, so things were never unsupervised. This was an old dairy farm with the cow barns converted to box stalls. The best care in the world and home grown hay. Now that my girls are home, I too, shut power off except to turn lightson if I feed after dark, or am working /cleaning up and need power for something.Great ideas for electrical installations, though. Anything we can do to make our stabling safer is well worth the time , effort and money.

I just built out barn and doing the same thing. It’s a big barn and for future add ons, I’ll be ready. Pu in a 200 amp service and about to do the wiring… Doing it myself because of outragious bids. I thought I was going to do MC cable so criters can’t chew and such. What did you find out and deside to do? I see the long electricians version. Thanks My barn build time lapse that I did