Unlimited access >

Barns near NYC

The woman I spoke to was just taking lessons after a long hiatus from riding, and while a friend, I can understand how she may have just been happy to be in the saddle again! Another just went for the trail ride option, but isn’t a regular rider, so I’ll take that into consideration and reconsider sticking it on my bucket list of places to visit in the area.

I have never heard anything good about Jamaica Bay and would take it off your bucket list.

2 Likes

Sad to hear it, but glad COTH saved me a wasted day trip!

Someone at my barn rode there briefly because someone she knew had a horse there and she was horseless at the time (if I recall circumstances correctly). She did not recommend them either.

1 Like

Yikes! After hearing all this, once again I’m reminded that to get a good recommendation, as a horse person rather than a friend about a barn.

I know it does have a snack bar and tack store on site, though…the photos certainly looked very pretty. (In other words great barns usually have terrible websites, because they don’t need to advertise.)

Don’t quote this because it was a year or two ago… but the barnmate said they wouldn’t keep their own horses there. They didn’t go into detail, and I didn’t pry, but I took it to mean the maintenance/facilities/management. I ride in a show barn - a low-key show barn - but if I recall correctly it wasn’t to do with that… it was that it wasn’t a particularly nice place to keep horses.

It’s too bad, because if I didn’t ADORE my trainer, that commute looks awfully enticing.

1 Like

Like most barns in or within immediate vicinity of the city, [quote=“erinmeri, post:26, topic:769394”]
I ride in a show barn - a low-key show barn - but if I recall correctly it wasn’t to do with that… it was that it wasn’t a particularly nice place to keep horses.
[/quote]

Exactly. And unfortunately, this is true for anything within a spitting distance of the city proper.

2 Likes