Unlimited access >

Bay color question - light legs?

JB - yea lol yayyy for the appy crazy coloring to make it even more confusing

I was thinking of getting her color tested anyways, just because I’m enjoying learning about color genetics and just curious. What would you test her for?
Red factor definitely, but agouti or anything else? Should I test her for silver? I think she is homozygous for Lp, right? Her sire was a snowcap and the rump on her baby pictures on her papers (assuming its her dam) also looks snowcap-ish with roaning.

Oh please do!!! It would really help identifying colors by phenotype more reliable :slight_smile:

If you can swing it, get the Color Combination test at Animal Genetics - that will get you extension (black or red) Agouti (will only get you bay/not bay, won’t tell us brown), Silver, and cream, which are all in play here for possibilities. It also gives champagne (not here) and Pearl (could exist in the hetero form so would be invisible)
http://www.animalgenetics.us/EquinePricing.htm

If you’re just tossing money, you could also do the Appy LP test

I’ll wait a little bit for cash to be a little more disposable lol then go ahead and test. I’ll update with results after!

Awesome!!

The yearling filly I think is brown has legs a lot like that. Not black at all…more like milk chocolate .

After you get her tested, you might send the results and the pictures to the Equine Tapestry blog. She collects that kind of information, and it would be interesting to see how she turns out!

Don’t know about the body color, but I see no trace of black in her mane or tail.

Doesn’t matter when it comes to appies lol

This is a grulla - no black anywhere :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DLee;7005971]
There is such a thing as a Wild Bay, that has lighter legs but still black fetlocks. However from the photos yours looks like a liver type chestnut to me.[/QUOTE]

I can only see the pic of the legs (2nd one) and I agree just from that picture my guess would be liver chestnut.

yikes, I was doing some organizing on photobucket and might have changed up the links on accident… I’ll repost pictures just in case. She is most likely a liver.

She does have some black in her mane and tail, but it is hard as everything is multi-appy colored.

In this picture, you cannot see the black (or very dark part of her mane). It is where I am flipping her mane over… higher up. I posted this picture because you can see her light legs fairly well in this light.
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/SpotMyHJ/Champagne%20N%20Candlelite%20-%20Tehya/e917d24a-fe49-429c-9c3b-6b654885abb1.jpg

Her tail has some black in it somewhere in the middle - or again it could just be a very dark color. It is kind of hidden and in the above picture I think it is kind of muddy and mousy looking. Her tail at the bottom definitely turns to that chocolate color also seen in the equine tapestry blog. I need to take pictures close up and of these features as her ears are also rimed with a very dark (maybe black) color.

And as an aside, away from the base coat color but relating to the surprising appy color, I body clipped her this past week. The poor thing was just sweating in her thick coat as we have gotten back into a working schedule. Anyways, it revealed more spots under her fur! Her skin is spotted differently then her coat, revealing another blanket pattern! Just thought it was interesting…
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/SpotMyHJ/Champagne%20N%20Candlelite%20-%20Tehya/5798a8c2-75cc-4370-8294-f7de471bd641.jpg

I love this mare though. She didn’t have much of an education until this year at 8 years old, but she’s such a good girl and such a sweetie-pie. She is more or less bomb-proof and tries so hard learning new things! She’s not huge… but at a hair under 16h, she’s a good size for a foundation mare.