Unlimited access >

Behavior issue-help

When I started hunting, it was on my grey horse, whom I bought as three year old and raised (with a trainer). She was 10 at the time, level headed, brave, and able to be reasoned with. I thought this would be a piece of cake.

It was not. Our first season was largely disastrous. Second was better, but we would get out into the hunt field and she was a different horse–angry, excitable…NOT fun. We whipped in for the third season and she was an excellent whip horse–really loved the job and the hounds. But I was hurt quite badly (not on her) and decided that I didn’t want to risk life and limb every week.

I also knew that it was not going to be fun to take her back into the field. After much soul searching, I decided that I needed another horse to hunt. I am lucky enough to be able to afford two–I know that’s not an option for everyone. So I bought my bay mare, who is so damned pleasant to hunt. Who knew you could be out there for hours and not spend them fighting to stay in your place in line or doing mad circles at checks? The grey used to come off the trailer a fire breathing dragon, all sweated up and ready for action. Tacking her up was a nightmare. The bay comes off cool as a cucumber, looks around and says “Oh, cool. We’re hunting today.”

I love my grey horse down to my very bones. It felt like a betrayal when I bought the bay. But I finally just realized that the grey was just not suited to the job of field hunter. We are both happier for the decision.

It might be that your horse just isn’t suited for the job you’d like him to do…is it fair to ask him to do it anyway? I’m not saying you need to get rid of your horse…just that I discovered that having the right partner in the field is a whole lot more fun than coping with the wrong one and sharing the process I went through to get there.

7 Likes

I just want to note that I totally get this problem. It is a real thing. Day light, that elusive thing that there is not much of during the winter months.

7 Likes

Agreed! It’s especially worse this year, as my barn is still on a covid schedule where we can only come at certain times. I have not seen my horses in daylight since August.

2 Likes

I’m surprised no one has mentioned it, but might his tummy hurt? My OTTB has been testy lately, nothing like you are describing, but definitely more difficult than he is usually. I started him on omeprazole last weekend and he’s back to his sweet and calm self. Your horse had SUCH a strong reaction that I don’t think it was just being “up” from a few days off or excited by where he went.
I am also a fan of some ace here and there. Very small amounts and just enough to take off an edge. I like to give them a good experience to build off of. I hope your boy comes around!

6 Likes

Some horses just have off days, could be a number of things and not necessarily something to worry about until it becomes a pattern.

I would like to recommend ground work though as a general training method. I have a looky horse as well, and the ground work we do has helped him learn to focus on my, even when faced with distractions. Plus, once they have a feel for the basic patterns on the ground you can start to replicate the same feeling in the saddle.

2 Likes

Well Y’all,

To this point in time, no further weirdnesses. We finished out the year in 2nd and tho he’s stared at cars and other odd things, he’s also cantered and galloped along with zero problems stopping, stood better at checks-with the occassional relapse, and not cared as much if people came up behind him. So I’m happy!

Let’s cross the fingers for a good summer :smile:

Regards,
Huntin’Fool

11 Likes

Great update on your horse’s season in the hunt field. Have a great summer out hacking!

1 Like

This is such good news. I hope you both enjoy your summer hacking out and gaining more skills so next season is even better.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind wishes!!! I appreciate it and all the good advice.

My little dog has acid reflux and is on Omeprazole and so is my husband-may as well have the horse on it too :rofl::rofl::rofl:. I am gonna give it a shot.

I don’t think that was the issue at the lesson but it can’t hurt in general. Horses are just weird and this one more than most-oddness wise. He may just have a weirdo day every now and again. As long as he doesn’t do anything to hurt me, I guess I’ll just tolerate it and go on.

Thanks again everyone for the good ideas and encouragement :grin:.

Regards,
Huntin’Fool

3 Likes

Glad you used your own creative best judgment, and your horse saw the light! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Horses get used to things like trains very quickly. I boarded my two (one OTTB and one TB-WB cross) at a barn with major train traffic going through the property. None of the horses cared. It freaked me out, it was really loud.

I don’t think that this is any indication of a horse’s nature. As long as the train doesn’t snatch their dinner, they won’t care.

3 Likes