Belmont Stakes News

Yes, RS seemed to be guided well in the Derby. I linked to the overhead view of the Derby a few posts back. He wasn’t on the rail much at all.

Your hunter/jumper analogies are spot on. A horse can’t race on the rail if there is another horse already there, so it would be an extremely limiting issue and this horse doesn’t have it.

2 Likes

I wonder if Repole bought Nest in part to breed to Uncle Mo? I wish I could ask him.There would be Northern Dancer, but pretty far back top and bottom.

Even if she’d never made it to the track her broodmare credentials are impeccable.
Hmm I just noticed that Uncle Mo has no Mr. Prospector…

True Nicks gives the cross a “B”.

He sold at the FT Saratoga sale for 1M. Looks like he was worth every penny.

The rest of the season will be so fun to watch, so many good races coming up, and the Breeders Cup should be great this year. Fingers crossed everyone stays healthy.

2 Likes

Exactly what you want your $1M horse to do… major stallion making race.

He had a 112 Beyer in the Met mile. His best Beyer was a 118 in the Malibu.

Yes, it is. But…

As a breeder what do you do with a horse who can only run once every 4-5 months? Based on his previous schedule–his 4 races were in April 2021, September 2021, December 2021, and June, 2022–he may not run again between now and the BC.

1 Like

I don’t know… Macleans Music ran once and then had the splint issue. He started at a low stud fee and is now at 50K.

Flightline had a hock issue that required time off. He’s well bred. Do you think mare owners really wouldn’t like him?

I completely agree.

I agree with all you shared as follows, " If true, it means that someone left a giant hole in his training (looking at you, Eric Reed.) Frankly, watching the race replays it looked more to me like the rail was Sonny Leon’s favorite spot rather than Rich Strike’s. Something else to consider–after what Reed said, you can be sure that the other jockeys are never going to let RS get up the rail again in a big race."

That is made ask if they trained the young horses to be more statistical than what he appeared on Saturday. You saidit , not I when you asked has " someone left a giant hole in his training"

It won’t stop the masses from breeding to him. It’ll be up to him to get successful offspring if he wants to keep the job.

I know a lot of people get upset by that, but honestly, soundness isn’t always straightforward in terms of heritability because it’s hard to pinpoint the origin of the problems.

No one regrets horses like Danzig and Malibu Moon in the breeding population in hindsight despite heavy criticism at the start of their careers.

Personally, Flightline’s gaps don’t make me feel warm and fuzzy. But my opinion matters none.

Danzig and Storm Cat both were quite fragile but weren’t noteworthy for passing unsoundness to their get. Though I have read that Storm Cat passed along offset knees with some regularity.

Flightline’s performances have been breathtaking. I think with his breeding he’ll do fine in terms of mare quality for his first two seasons at least. I wouldn’t venture to guess his fee. Given that Tapit is still alive and probably doesn’t have many more seasons left in him, I imagine mare owners who can get a booking would prefer to go that route over risking an unproven son.

Oh no, not at all. I think mare owners will flock to him with their checkbooks open. And he’ll probably do brilliantly at the sales. But I think the breed-to-race people are going to be a bit skeptical.

Does Flightline need to race any more than that? It seems the “good” horses just do not run that often and only for the “big-big” money. I guess what impresses me is how well tuned up they are just based on training. (Granted, I know they are extremely talented horses but are running against the same.) I do think that takes a trainer with some training skill/experience and no doubt why the Todd Pletchers of the world stay on top.

As for the Rich Strikes trainer-- he put the blame on himself, where ever it should fall. So we can give him that.

2 Likes

How nice of Donegal Racing to reward jockeys in this manner.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/donegal-racing-to-give-season-in-mo-donegal-to-irad-ortiz-jr/

3 Likes

The thing is, if your horse is sound, you don’t just leave them sitting around waiting for “big-big” money for a number of reasons. So I don’t think this is a matter of them keeping Flightline in their pocket for months on end knowing he’s ready to run. Something is up.

2 Likes

That is Super thoughtful and p[retty impressive of him!!! And what does the horse’s groom get? Many of those guys/gals are living paycheck to paycheck and unfortunately, some ( BUT NOT ALL) may need to be on public assistance. I am really impressed with this owner he takes care of his horses and those around him!

Apparently he crashed into a fence as a 2 year old and had a serious cut on his hind quarters, had a hoof bruise and a hock strain as a three year old, so he has been lightly raced. Do you think they’re just being careful with him or do you really think he’s being “patched up” between races?

Sadler thinks the world of him. I thought they were just being careful. Of course the ownership group has a say…

It looks like they are considering either the Pacific Classic or the Whitney for him, before the Breeders Cup.

I think you answered your own question. He crashed through a fence, had a hoof bruise, and had a hock strain. That certainly sounds like patching up to me.

Horses don’t do well physically or mentally training at the track for months and months and months on end without a race. Hence the phrase “the horse needs a race.”

(*most horses don’t do well, there are always exceptions)