Unlimited access >

Best Hoof Supplement to add to SmartPak

Thanks, that’s also on my list of things to try. I don’t even know what flavor he would like. He is weird and doesn’t like a lot of normal things, like apples. Sigh. I was really hoping either the CEN or Hay Harmony would be acceptable, but nope.

I’ve been feeding horses straight copper sulfate and Zinpro for like 6 years now (not always in the proper ratios). I only had trouble getting my mini to eat it (since she couldn’t have much feed).

The Zinpro seems very inoffensive and using straight copper sulfate only a small amount is needed. Might be worth trying.

Ooh thank you! Never heard of Zinpro before.

1 Like

I use the ZinPro 40, but I think there are other formulas. It’s zinc methionine. It can be hard to find in smaller quantities.

The copper sulfate is much easier to find in smaller quantities.

Here are pics of the CEN copper/zinc and the Hay Harmony, if anyone is interested. They both have a strong metallic odor and the HH serving size is pretty huge.

2 Likes

FWIW, the amino acid complex and polysaccharide forms have different tastes, so if a horse hates one, it’s still worth trying the other

I ended up trying the mad barn 3:1 zinc/copper and so far so good! It might be worth a try for yours. Pretty inexpensive, Smells sort of sweet and serving size is tiny at 9cc.

1 Like

So, just to make sure it’s said, OP, don’t get caught up in “the best.” Because, different things work for different horses.

My horse was on Vermont Blend for like two years and it didn’t take for him, though he certainly found it delicious and I do believe it to be a high-quality, well-designed product. He is now on Smartpak Senior Ultra Combo, and had quite the “glow up” within a month or two. The Senior Combo has alittle more biotin than the Vermont Blend. It also replaces the Cosequin ASU I was giving along with the Vermont Blend. The fella is now shiny and dappled and his feet are much improved, with a couple of toe cracks that had been trying to creep in over the last year, now gone.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks! I ended up trying the Uckele pellets again and now His Highness is eating them. I think the issue started when I got a bag that was pulverized into about 30% powder. He really does not like powdered anything so it turned him off for a while. When I opened a new bag that’s in better shape, he started eating it again. I’ll keep Mad Barn in mind for the future though!

1 Like