Unlimited access >

Best Low Profile Half Pad

One more that better represents thickness…

1 Like

Another vote for Invictus. I’d estimate the thickness approximates the picture above.

@fourfillies, @Against_All_Odds2, and @Spud_amp_Saf - which Invictus pad did you each end up going with? Is the only difference between the Necesse and Equality that the Equality has the shims removable?

I needed shims so went with that one

Mine is an older plain vanilla model. No shims. Lots of wither clearance.

So pardon my ignorance, because I’ve never purchased a shimmable half pad before but without the shims, is it basically just the cover, or is it a thinner version of the pad with pockets for shims? I noticed the Necesse was described as 1.5cm and the Equality as 1.1cm so I was guessing it still had some level of padding but wasn’t sure.

Did yours come with shims, or did you purchase them separately?

Its basically a very thin half pad, which offers good protection (via the information I gathered) that can also be shimmed if needed for saddle fit.

The website says it includes shims but mine came without them. A saddle fitter made me wool ones.

So, not to hijack the thread, but since a bunch of people on this thread seem to be using the no-slip half pads, I figure this is good place to ask,

My young horse has HUGE shoulders and we are slowly building up his topline. It’s getting there but takes a long time. My saddle fits him quite well considering he has a hollow spot behind his shoulders. The saddle slips into that spot as he moves. I found an Acavallo no-slip half pad on consignment yesterday and scooped it up.

My question is: How does everyone wear their no-slip half pads? under the saddle pad? As a stand alone (kind of what i am leaning towards), or between the saddle and the saddle pad?

I don’t use anything underneath. I tried a baby pad but found that I lost that grip that I was looking for.

Does the Oglivie pad bottom out? I’m thinking thin line, but what about Equifit? I’m thinking I don’t want sheepskin trim though.

Sorry for the number of posts, but is the Weatherbeeta foam pad/Oglvie knock off a worthy cheap version?

1 Like

I wonder the same thing about alternative memory foam half pads.

We have some Bay Jacobsen memory foam half pads that might be 20 years old now. I think the memory foam is probably breaking down from age. The exterior cotton twill material is still holding up. Amazing for the age. Too bad the company closed its business years ago.

I don’t know the Acavallo ones at all, but I use a blue Gel-Eze and it just goes directly against the horse’s back, under my regular saddle pad.

By bottom out do you mean slip out the back of the saddle? My Ogilvey stays put, but I’m sure a lot depends on saddle fit and body type.

I was reading some reviews of the memory foam Weatherbeeta; mixed reviews. Several mention hard spots.

Looking at the QHP. Think it’s made in the Netherlands. Can’t find any reviews