Unlimited access >

Best six-pocket shimmable half pad

I really like the ECP pad for the money. You can always change the shims as others noted. Mattes pads are great, too. But if you’re just looking to shim and don’t need sheepskin, they are pretty spendy.

My saddle fitter friend doesn’t recommend the 6 pocket pads. She doesn’t have a preference for brand of shimmable pad in general, but recommends mattes-type felt shims.

1 Like

I have a Winderen that is shimable… My saddle fitter recommended it. I don’t like the Mattes pads because of the bulk. The Winderen is more low profile and has 6 shimable pockets that use felt pads. With or without the shims I love this pad.

Looks interesting! What shims come with it? Did you get the regular one or slim?

Look for “poron” shock absorbing material on Amazon. You can buy sheets of it, it is the same as ThinLine inserts.

6 Likes

Good tip!

1 Like

I believe I have the slim. It came with the pad, cover and 18 shims (9 per side). There are 3 different sizes for each insert to adjust in a multitude of ways. Even without the shims it is very comfortable

1 Like

Just got mine and two rides in - love it!

1 Like

Based on the recommendations here, I ended up buying a Winderen slim correction half pad and really like it so far. It’s so well designed! I got the brown cover which matches my saddle. There’s no Velcro, but two discreet zippers to remove the pads. Everything is very high quality, not cheap “memory foam.” I used the middle thickness of shim to fill in my horse’s slightly dipped back, and this corrected the minor bridging issue. The only caveat is I would say to pay attention to the measurements. My saddle is 17.5, so I bought the 18” pad rather than the 17’, but probably could have gotten away with the 17”.

Very pleased so far. Thanks, everyone.

4 Likes

They do…I just got one. E.A Mattes Core Range - Correctional Half Pad - Full Sheepskin

1 Like