Unlimited access >

Best tack shop to consign a dressage saddle?

so many 1 star reviews…

The owner has had two usernames here. jaybird & jaybird660
Last post appears to be 2018. Maybe she changed her username again.

1 Like

Gallopinggrape has done well for me

It was.

My situation was similar but different. I sent them 2 saddles of a well known brand. I asked them what they thought they should sell for before sending, to make sure it was worth it to me after paying shipping/their commission. Sounded good, so I sent the saddles to them. Once there, they told me the saddles were worth less (and NO, they were not in poor condition, they were in excellent used condition, they just flat out changed their mind!). They sold one after some time, for the new lower adjusted price, but the other one just never sold. I had it shipped back, and when I received it, it had the most FOUL chemical smell to it. I have no idea what happened to it, it was strange, as I’ve never experienced that before. Anyhow, I got it sold a couple months later on my own. I’d never use them for selling saddles again.

2 Likes

Yeah, they are truly awful!

I’ve sold 2 through Highline (County) and Fineline (Prestige) Tack. Excellent experience.

3 Likes

So I ended up accepting an offer from Highline to sell my saddle to them outright because it was very close to what I could have sold it for myself plus not having to deal with all the hassle and shipping it back and forth.
I’m on my second pair of saddles being sent to me on trial from Pelham. So far I think they are just really good to work with just from a buyer’s perspective. They ship them out very promptly and you almost can’t beat the $75 for two saddles with how high shipping is nowadays and they do have a great selection. It’s just something you have to do when you live in a place where there are few saddles for sale in driving distance.

3 Likes

I always have gotten great service from Pelham. I bought two saddles last month and sent two to be sold. I figure they will sell when they do, I don’t have to deal with it so its all fine with me.

Good, OP! Glad you found a place that worked.

I sold 2 saddles through Pelham this winter. Both sold relatively quickly for decent prices (a Custom Icon Flight and a Stubben). The saddle consignment employee (the one that does inputs, not sure about sales) is only in 2 days a week so it is best to email them and not expect an immediate response.

I’ll be curious as to whether or not the saddles Pelham sent you end up working and you buy one. I will say that they were good about sending the saddles out, and I agree the shipping price for 2 cannot be beat. I just never had good luck with their saddles fitting, despite the fact I did a withers tracing and they had that information. Also, I had to know already which saddles I was interested in. When I asked for input, I simply got the “You can’t expect us to take your tracing, know what we have in stock and/or compare it to every consignment saddle we have!”. Not what I was asking, but geez!

Yes, I had three sent to me this time - two didn’t work and one was absolutely perfect.

Well, I am not using them as far as the fitting part of it. I have a pretty good idea what I need it’s more about whether I like it or not and it’s just hard to tell from a picture, just need to sit in it.

Same here… But I like to have someone on the other end that will tell me if the saddle is a good possibility and worth the time and money to ship it out. Unfortunately I haven’t had success. Hearing that others have, though, I’d give them another chance as far as that part of it goes. I do not believe that I would put another saddle with them to sell though…

1 Like

I had a good experience doing a trade with Brassy Bit. They sent me multiple saddles to try in exchange for my Frank Baines. It was a few years ago, but I appreciated their willingness to work with me.