Unlimited access >

Bilateral hind end soreness, X-rays clean

Came across your post while searching for something else. Didn’t read the the whole string. Has your vet ultra-sounded the rear suspensory ligaments. Many of the symptoms you describe in the original post could be attributed to DSLD/ESPA, which has a characteristic ultrasound pattern. She is young for it, but it has been found in young horses.

1 Like

Any updates on how injections went/ fixing feet?

Oh, wow it’s been a whole (and rather crazy) year. The injections seemed to work a little, but she remained resistant to being asked for circles and after several months off she began being rather randomly explosive and aggressive on the ground, (both haltered and when at liberty; I had to be very careful around her when picking her paddock). Asking her to lunge of course remained a futile exercise. I did get her to free lunge in a BIG circle at a slow walk around me using R+ and the reverse round pen method, but asking her to switch directions or trot was still met with significant resistance. This felt like a pain response to me. She still required/requires breaks working with her hinds at farrier appointments.

Ultra-sounding her suspensories is a good idea. We also looked at her reproductive tract and it was healthy; no cysts or anything that would be causing pain or hormone issues.

For now she is no longer living with me but has been retired from riding to a large pasture, and her new owner has all of this info plus all of her medical exam reports. We’ll see how she does.