Unlimited access >

Bit concerns with Jumping?

I chose to jump him on my own because I am getting over some severe confidence issues and thought working out the jumps by myself would help,

Instead of researching bits, perhaps you should consider spending time exploring the topic of ‘judgement.’

It’s a big, long chapter that is often skipped over by riders to whom “horsemanship” does not come naturally.

It does not matter what bit is in a horse’s mouth when the rider on the other end of the reins is an student pilot trying to fly a plane without being checked out in it first.

Absent any instinct or aptitude, taking lessons is at the head of my list of recommendations.

hi everyone! thank you so much for your incredibly positive and helpful feedback! just wanted to post a little update.

we found out the reason this happened. also, i was not hurt–i didn’t break anything (even though i thought i had) and so far i haven’t fallen off again.

a) horse wasn’t turned out, so he had too much energy.

b) prooooobably shouldn’t have been jumping in a snaffle… lesson learned. not everything on the internet is the gospel truth. he’s back in his pelham with two reins for jumping and man we are doing great now!

c) i had only ridden him maybe 2 times before that incident. now he and i are best friends, and he takes care of me over the really scary jumps.

again, wanted to let everyone know how it went! it was a great lesson for me on just how important bits can be, and how important it is to KNOW your horse before attempting something new together without the supervision of a trainer.

If you want to go easier, a thick mouthed pelham might work. I wouldn’t give it all away just yet … but work on using your body and seat for aids and less hands, even though the horse seems to only know hands. Thousands of transitions later, he will feel your aids, and know what you mean. I think a good flatwork trainer will help. My own horses go in plastic bits, and are light, but that is my focus from the time they are broke. Consistency - every time, on trails, flat or jumping, the exact same aid. Body first, hands second. Leg before hand, etc.

Jumping, do cavaletti and grids with emphasis on not rushing I do see that he is an aged horse with habits ingrained.

Stay safe, always, safety first.

You’d only ridden him twice before switching bits like that and jumping him?

Yikes.

Agree with everyone - not every horse can or should go in a snaffle. Especially one with so many years of history under his belt.