Unlimited access >

Bit help!!! Discussion on bits for horses who run theough the shoulder?

YB beat me to it. I also have a horse who like to fall through the right shoulder, and the fact that I like to tip over the left shoulder doesn’t help! We do a LOT of moving back between correct bend and counter bend on circles and figure-8s. The point is that he doesn’t know which way to bend (or whether to remain straight and true) until I tell him. He’s the kind of horse that likes to assume control and I always have to be a little bit ahead of him.

Your horse has figured out a resistance that works. You just need to change up the game plan and get him to respect your leg.

[QUOTE=see u at x;7785010]
I started riding with my dressage whip resting against his right shoulder and tapping him on the shoulder as needed if he ignored my leg. [/QUOTE]

This is what i did as well. But i didn’t rest it there so much as tap her when she got really buldg-y.

This is an OUTSIDE REIN ISSUE (mostly), and yes, marriage of inside and outside rein/legs. Have you been taught how to ride the horse from the inside leg to outside rein?

Basics of circles:
Inside leg at the girth, outside leg slightly back guards haunches. Inside rein asks as needed for flexion and outside rein controls bulging, speed, size of circle-constant elasticicity. The inside flexion is not the dominant rein and only acts if you loose the inside eyelash.

Turn the horses shoulders, not head and neck. :slight_smile: