Unlimited access >

Bitting guide?

I use titanium bits, either the no-longer-found-on-line “rainbow titanium coated” bit with regular mouth and cheek pieces (NOTE-not all Rainbow bits are titanium coated, ALL the ones I’ve seen on-line the past two years have been stainless steel) OR Fager titanium bits.

Luckily I went hog wild when the rainbow titanium coated bits were still available. I greatly prefer the Fager bits but my riding teacher has told me that once I use a titanium or titanium coated bit on one of her lesson horses the horse “goes on strike” as a lesson horse when put back in his old, usually stainless steel, previously acceptable bit. I give her the titanium coated bits from my bit hoard since they were so much cheaper than the Fager bits. I will run out of these soon.

About copper in the bits. I had never had any problems with a bit with copper, much the opposite as the horses often seemed to like them better than just the stainless steel. HOWEVER on ancient mare I ride had a very strange reaction. We had successfully used bits with copper on her before, she even opened her mouth voluntarily when her owner bridled her with the bit-with-copper.

Then I changed to the titanium bits. Several years later I tried one of the Fager titanium double jointed snaffles with a copper center on her, the Oscar–she did not like this bit AT ALL. Then a few more years later I tried her with the Fager Sweet Iron Alexander, double jointed with a copper plate in the middle that is sloped sort of like a Dr. Bristol center plate though it is not as wide from side to side. This mare LIKED keeping contact with the Alexander (carried it on her tongue peacefully, reached out fearlessly for contact, no fretting, her mouth stayed closed) BUT every time she stepped on a front leg it felt to me like a naked flame was burning down her nerves in her leg. This mare has arthritis, she is old, I just walk her around the small ring now, and I am very used to her flinches and ouches–this one was DIFFERENT. I never used that bit on her again though she liked how it worked in her mouth.

I have just been re-reading Louis Taylor’s excellent “Bits–Their History, Use and Misuse.” Louise Taylor writes that most of the different types of bits, mouthpieces and cheek pieces were developed to fit the RIDER’S HANDS (so long as the bit fits the horse’s mouth of course). He wrote that once the rider finds a bit that the horses go kindly in most horses will like that bit with that rider (and probably can hate it with another rider.) I have found this to be so, if one horse likes a bit I use the other horses I ride seem to like it too. Many years ago I as riding three different horses with ONE bit (first with a Korsteel JP Dr. Bristol, the other time with a Wellep snaffle [no longer made, rare, the website is still up if you want to see the bit.]) Once I found the Fager bits these earlier bits are no longer acceptable with my hands.

Right now the only snaffle the horses seemed to like with my hands was the Fager Bianca titanium 3-piece snaffle with a titanium roller in the center. Both horses I ride seem to greatly prefer me using the double bridle, I use the Fager Victoria titanium Mullen mouth curb (no longer made) and the Fager Alice bridoon, 3-piece with the center titanium roller like the Bianca bit mentioned earlier in the paragraph.

I’ve told my riding teacher that the next horse she puts me on WILL be introduced to the double bridle. The horses just seem to understand the bit actions better when carrying the Weymouth and bridoon at the same time (as in "Oh, THAT is what you mean, OK, this is easy.)

Oh, titanium bits are not the answer all the time. The horses I ride have VEHEMENTLY told me that they do NOT like me using the Fager titanium tongue relief bits. They fuss, the gape, they fling their heads, and they cuss me out in equine. I get the same reaction when I use Mullen mouth snaffles, including titanium coated ones. From what I pick up from the horses the fact that I cannot keep the bit stable and centered in their mouths means that with MY HANDS these bits are so totally unacceptable that they will not forgive me if I try to use them again.

I hear and obey dear horses.

2 Likes

The fussing usually begins in the cross ties before he’s had to even move. Doesn’t mean pain isn’t there, but it does make me inclined to say it’s probably not a primary cause. He’s quite short/upright at the start and goes fabulously once he’s warmed up…. Are you catching on to a trend yet? Lol

This is a very interesting and important insight. Thanks for sharing. Can also explain why and how OPs coach can ride all her horses in a variation of a simple snaffle.

1 Like

I am trying to figure out which bit might work for my new guy, but I am not finding a lot of detail about matching a bit to a particular mouth conformation. He has a very large/wide tongue and a lower palate. The most I’ve been able to glean from information online is a thinner bit might be more comfortable and that single jointed is usually not good for a low palate. I am currently borrowing a NS Team Up 16mm and I think he is not comfortable in it.

Finding good information about bridle fit is almost as difficult. I’ve mostly relied on COTH searches (Beowulf is awesome!). It turns out he is a mix of full and oversize and I am surprised at how few manufacturers list detailed product measurements or give you an option to buy pieces a la carte. It’s very frustrating.

I just submitted the online NS bitting form last Thursday. I’ve not heard anything back yet, but if/when I do, I will post about whether it was helpful.

1 Like

@twostinkydogs Have to say that thinner mouthpieces have more “bite” when reins are used because there is less metal surface on the bars and tongue. You want to take that into consideration when evaluating a new bit.

He probably won’t like jointed bits with a low palate, especially if he is going with his nose out. Joint will be poking up when reins are pulled. You might consider a mullen mouthpiece that curves above his tongue, they come in various thicknesses that won’t fill his mouth up.