Unlimited access >

Boarded Horses - Free choice hay/Hay bags

THIS!! hay nets are a PITA to set up and use. We do free choice all winter by putting a large square bale in a big wooden feeder. It is pretty much an open-top box with a roof. The horses can’t stand or pee/poop in the hay, and the roof keeps the worst of the rain out. It’s durable enough to stand up to the big draft horse (who would destroy a plastic hay hut or bale barn. She scratches her legs on rubbermaid troughs and put giant cracks in them). I can use a DIY net over the top if I want to slow consumption (the sport/hockey
/goal nets on amazon are cheap and I just use double end snaps to fasten them to the feeder, but there’s no way for a shoe to get that high unless someone tries to climb in the feeder – hasn’t happened yet and most of mine are barefoot.

So for convenience, I’d say use large squares or roundbales, with some sort of DIY feeder/platform (lots on ideas on line). If you have feeding staff who will be the ones using the nets, go ahead and use them, but don’t forget it’ll add considerable time to daily hours/shifts over time.

I think too they like the tugging action, similar to grazing. Normally mine finish what’s in the net before eating off the ground

1 Like

These look great! How did you order it?! There are no prices on the website but I assume shipping to the US is really expensive?

I was actually able to walk into my local tack shop (Ontario, Canada) and buy it off the rack! Might be worth getting in touch with the manufacturer to see if they have a U.S. distributor/retailer.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried these nets???

They look fascinating to me.

Also great idea on the wood hay holder with a roof. I need to add those to my pastures. Love the roof idea.

I second the hay hoops. Absolutely love them.