Unlimited access >

Boarding a Stallion

[QUOTE=ahf;6993418]
Back to the original question…

Perhaps I’m naive, but I would think there are quite a few small TB breeding farms in KY that would board your stallion. They have a farm managers association. Perhaps start with them. They may even have a BB like this one.

Bridlewood Farm in KY stands several warmblood stallions.
http://www.bridlewoodhanoverians.com/

Call Dr. Schmidt and ask if she would board him for you - and if she says no, ask for ideas.[/QUOTE]

This^^. Call around to breeding farms even if they are private and ask for a referral. Ditto asking a sport horse barn that has stallions and perhaps ask repro vet…

You don’t want to board your stallion with people inexperienced. That would be a nightmare all around.

[QUOTE=crosscreeksh;6993843]
Maybe not, but in the “real world” ALL people should use common sense!![/QUOTE]

In the “real world” that I live in, “common sense” is any thing BUT common.

Maybe ask the local vets for the names of barns that might be set up for stallions but are a little off the beaten path? I know that I’ve had as many as 6 stallions here at once, have no problem boarding or handling them, but most places just don’t have the set up or the inclination to handle a stallion.

and I’ve got to say, in a perfect world, while you wouldn’t leave a horse (ANY horse!) unattended on the crossties, that you’d have everything together before getting horsey, no one should be walking a horse, (again, ANY horse) past an unattended horse on crossties, regardless. Horses bite, kick, bolt, etc, regardless of gender. Why put yourself at risk, much less the horses involved? Find another way out of the barn, wait till the handler comes back, ask someone to hold the other horse, anything. That really is a horsemanship 101 kind of thing.

[QUOTE=Timex;6994153]

and I’ve got to say, in a perfect world, while you wouldn’t leave a horse (ANY horse!) unattended on the crossties, that you’d have everything together before getting horsey, no one should be walking a horse, (again, ANY horse) past an unattended horse on crossties, regardless. Horses bite, kick, bolt, etc, regardless of gender. Why put yourself at risk, much less the horses involved? Find another way out of the barn, wait till the handler comes back, ask someone to hold the other horse, anything. That really is a horsemanship 101 kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. My horse is super in the crossties – she usually falls asleep when left on them for a while, and her only real “vice” is that she always stands diagonally. She’ll move her butt over if you ask, but will sneak it back sideways as soon as she has a chance. She’s one just about everyone is comfortable leaving alone on the ties for a short period.

That said, I would NEVER try to get another horse past her without a second person to undo one tie, move her butt over, and stand by her belly and tell her to behave. That’s true for any horse. And there are mares in the barn that, on cross-ties, you just. don’t. lead. a. horse. past. ever.

Point of clarity - the barn has separate grooming stalls with cross ties which are entirely out of the aisle way itself. The stallion was not on cross-ties blocking the path of aisle way. The stallion broke free of the cross ties, left the grooming stall, entered the aisle way and mounted the mare.

[QUOTE=Bent Hickory;6994204]
Point of clarity - the barn has separate grooming stalls with cross ties which are entirely out of the aisle way itself. The stallion was not on cross-ties blocking the path of aisle way. The stallion broke free of the cross ties, left the grooming stall, entered the aisle way and mounted the mare.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was envisioning - on crossties in a grooming bay, out of the aisle way. Another issue entirely if someone was trying to pass under the cross ties of a blocked aisle.

Back to the main topic though, do any of the leads look promising?

I’d say you need to prioritize your needs. I’ve had well-behaved stallions here, but I don’t permit them to be bred here–they must go off- site, so there is no confusion about permissible behavior at my behavior.

I’d think boarding wouldn’t be impossible to find if he’s well-behaved but you may need to be prepared to find other arrangments for collecting/breeding him.

I like the idea about contacting the local vets for a stallion friendly boarding facility (they do exist!). Good luck!

[QUOTE=Bent Hickory;6993649]
Absolutely NOT folks. As a horse owner, I have a duty of care with regard to MY horse. I am responsible and potentially culpable for what my horse does. I have absolutely NO DUTY or responsibility for anyone else’s horse’s action. PERIOD. Is it prudent to be careful of an unattended horse? Sure. Am I obligated to be careful of an unattended horse? No way.

The first and only duty that was breached in this case is the stallion owner leaving the stallion in the cross ties unattended. You can reference all the “best practices” that you like, but the fact remains that the mare owner has no duty to be careful of the stallion.[/QUOTE]

That’s ridiculous. The stallion owner has a duty to be careful, but the mare owner doesn’t? That’s just absurd. Both owners have a duty to be careful with regard to how they handle their animals. The stallion owner does not have a greater obligation than the mare owner. Pretty sure the mare owner would have some culpability if mare owner were to try to sue the stallion owner.

[QUOTE=Bent Hickory;6994204]
Point of clarity - the barn has separate grooming stalls with cross ties which are entirely out of the aisle way itself. The stallion was not on cross-ties blocking the path of aisle way. The stallion broke free of the cross ties, left the grooming stall, entered the aisle way and mounted the mare.[/QUOTE]

Oh! Nevermind, then. This is totally different than what I envisioned. I thought the mare owner basically lifted a cross tie to pass next to the stallion, which would have been insane!

[QUOTE=Timex;6994153]
and I’ve got to say, in a perfect world, while you wouldn’t leave a horse (ANY horse!) unattended on the crossties, that you’d have everything together before getting horsey, no one should be walking a horse, (again, ANY horse) past an unattended horse on crossties, regardless. Horses bite, kick, bolt, etc, regardless of gender. Why put yourself at risk, much less the horses involved? Find another way out of the barn, wait till the handler comes back, ask someone to hold the other horse, anything. That really is a horsemanship 101 kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

I’ve boarded at a lot of barns over the years, a mix of larger and smaller… and I have never been at one where it was feasible to do what you describe. You can’t put your horse in a crosstie without walking past another horse. You can’t always see if there’s a horse in the crosstie without getting your horse within unsafe stallion distance of that horse.

The crossties in most barns I’ve been at provide some protection against kicking, because they are divided with steel pipe, and of course the point of crossties is to restrict the head.

Maybe you’re thinking of horses cross-tied in an aisleway, where you’d have to lead your horse under the ties to go past. That’s not what I’m thinking of.

[QUOTE=JWB;6994654]
That’s what I was envisioning - on crossties in a grooming bay, out of the aisle way. Another issue entirely if someone was trying to pass under the cross ties of a blocked aisle.

Back to the main topic though, do any of the leads look promising?[/QUOTE]

That’s how I read it too and I still don’t walk down the aisle past the front of a separate grooming stall where there’s an unattended horse without calling out for someone to hold its head if it can reach out into the aisle. That’s been SOP at every barn I’ve been at.

… and now you know why I have hung on, like grim death, to my five acres, long commute or no long commute. Boarding a stallion is a pain. Even if the stallion is saintly, the people often aren’t.

You’ve been given good advice – find a breeding facility who will handle your stallion like a horse with hormones instead of a tiger that needs a chair and a whip.