Unlimited access >

Boarding barn hay

For a second there, I thought " I wish I could pay $10 for a bale of grass hay." But then, I guess I sort of do since I get the big western 3-string bales that are 120+ lbs for $21.

When I was up in full care, the place I board at fed up to 4 flakes a day per horse (2 AM, 2 PM) and they mostly fed alfalfa. Grass was an extra charge, which having an air fern easy keeper meant I had to pay it. I’m in SoCal, and everything here is dry lot. Even the pastured horses aren’t really “pastured” (I guess there’s weeds and things for them to gnaw on depending on time of year) so everyone got hay.

Now that I’m doing self-care board (same barn, but different section of the ranch where I have a bigger set of paddocks and my own little hay shed) I feed 3 times a day, grass hay for my gelding and senior feed and chopped alfalfa hay for my retired ancient mare. I mainly feed more for my gelding at night because of the longer time between feedings, and feed a small lunch when I arrive at the barn so my gelding nibbles while I clean and do my afternoon chores. My gelding has pre-filled hay nets that i weigh out my hay every Sunday and fill them all up. 5 lbs in the morning, 10 lbs at night, and roughly about 1 lb at lunch. My mare is a super slow eater so she gets the same amount of feed each time, and her chopped hay goes in a teeny little hay net.