Unlimited access >

Bone Scan vs..? UPDATE /\/\ back to vet 12/2

@Calvincrowe I will be using Revenaugh’s office too. My quote was about 3k, all in, including the o/n, full body.

What I am gathering from the responses is this may or may not be worth the money. Given what I’ve already sunk into this horse, what’s another 3k? Not laughing either. I don’t know what else to do. I have not U/S the SI. Honestly I’d expect another $1000 for that. I have filmed the stifles and they are fine. Just loose. Lots of poles and steady work and correct shoeing went a long way towards that. I am highly suspicious of an old, serious, injury that happened either as a youngster or on the track.
I have tested for EPM, negative. Lyme, no.
I am debating a phone conference with my vet to go over all of this. She knows her stuff, I don’t doubt that, it’s just I cannot keep nickel-and-diming without some sort of resolution. Even if that is just to retire the horse.
Keep the comments coming. It’s infinitely helpful, and also helps me formulate the questions I want to ask my vet.

2 Likes

I will say that I found myself in a similar position and while the bone scan literally didn’t turn up anything (we were all SHOCKED there was nothing in the SI/pelvic region), I’m glad that I did it. I was able to finance it directly through the hospital and made reasonable monthly payments with no interest for a year - it was about the same price you’re being quoted, a little more due to some further x-rays and neurologic work ups. It was the “final straw” and made me feel okay about retiring my young horse because some of the best minds on the East Coast just couldn’t find a logical next step. FWIW, I had a pelvic ultrasound done on another horse by someone who is largely considered one of the top US vets in the country and it was very reasonable, I think “only” $400 for the whole thing including the farm call fee for over an hour away. I would say go full on and give yourself the peace of mind to make an educated decision.

5 Likes

No advice here, just commiseration. You could be describing my exact OTTB. And me, with the frustration and money spent, but also not wanting to retire him if I don’t have to.

I’m the type of person that will ALWAYS wonder if we’d just done this or that if we’d have gotten answers. I believe getting good quotes on diagnostic procedures and all they entail, plus an understanding of the limitations of each test and the “what will we do next” procedures really helped me make a plan.

Also writing said plan down on paper or phone notes to look back on when I get lost in all the what ifs.

4 Likes

You might think through what next steps will be. If the bone scan lights up the pelvis, what imaging will you do next? If it doesn’t light up the pelvis, will you believe that, or will you continue to pursue the pelvis?

Bone scan is great when you’re not sure wtf is going on. It can really narrow down where you should look with other imaging types.

But if you know it’s the pelvis already, or are at least fairly sure, you might want to skip the bone scan and go straight to the imaging that will let you evaluate the pelvis. Especially if you think you won’t “trust” a negative bone scan and will want to image the pelvis anyway.

7 Likes

@fivestrideline you are describing exactly how I feel about this. If I don’t, I’m always going to wonder.
@Simkie I’m not sure if the pelvis is the only issue. That’s why I want to go ahead with whole body. I’m medically educated enough to look at “if X is lit up, what caused it to be and where along the chain do I next go.”

2 Likes

It should cost a lot less than $1000 to do the ultrasound. In my more recent case where I did NOT bone scan despite one vet recommending it, I spent a lot less than bone scan price to ultrasound everything poll to tail, rectal ultrasound, exam with Lameness Locator, chiro and acupuncture. That was a lucky case where the rectal ultrasound did find the injury (which was acute in onset) and led us to use biologics and not steroids for treatment. Steroids we had already tried as a diagnostic 6+ months prior with no change other than discovering this horse’s GI system is very sensitive to steroids. Steroids were not the right treatment for his particular problem. Bone scan might have lit up the right SI, but without the additional imaging, we still wouldn’t have known the right treatment. I got a lot more useful information (also used in managing recovery and rehab and some setbacks along the way) for the money I could have spent on a bone scan.

6 Likes

Are you comfortable talking more about the injury you found?

What do you want to know? I’ve got 5 years of what-the-heck saved up…LOL.

I got a notification that this reply was for me. We found the beginnings of a bone spur forming on the right SI joint. He had originally strained that area and gotten out of alignment many months before we found this…by spooking at the walk at a snow bomb. He did a splat spook and knuckled over awkwardly behind on that right hind. He went from being NQR to tripping more in front and then not able to catch himself when he tripped to the point of face planting a couple of times. Also had that locking stifle type thing that would happen, except that his stifle wouldn’t lock, he’d just lose his hind end. And the usual symptoms of trouble in the canter and no longer able to do lead changes as well as he used to. We used Pro Stride to treat the SI, and it really helped.

4 Likes

Thank you!!!

One more thought. A good question to ask yourself before doing any diagnostics is how it will change the outcome. If the bone scan isn’t going to change how you proceed, then there is little to no point in doing it.

My horses’ issues were neck and/or feet and I think the bone scans may do better with those areas.

5 Likes

Indeed, Peggy. Before I do anything I’m going to have a conference with my vet. Lay out every single thing, and see what she says. Before I go down any more rabbit holes I’d like to have a better plan.

UPDATE: Tuesday October 18. After watching miss maresy romp around in her field and navigate ‘goat’ terrain without a hitch I figured it was time to see if she’s okay to put back into light work. I put her on the lunge, just a halter.
To her credit, she didn’t fall down. Not even close. But she is not okay. She was ‘light behind’ without a lot of space between the hind legs. Not quite bunny hopping, but close enough for this horse. Was willing to stretch down. Going right, refused to stay out on the circle. Kept making it tighter and tighter. Well, okay, she’s been off for quite some time, so I think most of this I can ease my way thru with a couple weeks under saddle. Easy gentle stretching lots of walk work.
I turned her out. One of her pasture mates is a youngster who thinks ‘chase’ is a good game and my mare is wimpy enough to run. She trots away, in a straight line, and is markedly lame behind. Appears to be LH, but I’m not going to place bets on it. It is not a hoof issue, this was higher up. All I could think was “15 mins on a lunge line and you are lame”… went home and called the vet. Have appt on Friday. I am not coming home without answers, even if I have to leave her there.
I’m tired, broke, heartsick, at the end of my rope. I just want to ride my horse. I’m so tired of one problem after another. It’s not just this horse. For the last 16 years, I’ve had one thing after another with horses. I’ve learned so much but right now, I am DONE with lameness. I cannot afford 2 horses so either this one works, or she goes. My choices are resign myself to a pasture pet, find a way to appropriately rehome, or PTS. Frankly none of those options appeals to me.
Okay vent over.

13 Likes

I really understand and commiserate with the position you’re in. I have a lovely 12 yr old grey gelding who I’ve had 7 yrs now and ridden for a handful of months over that time. His job is a cute, lovable, fat pasture pet.

Over the years he’s been at my regular riding boarding barn, my DILs family’s farm, a friend’s farm and finally I landed him at a lovely retired UPS driver’s farm for a whopping $135 a month- he provides hay & pasture, I provide EK. It took me years to find this place and it’s perfect for him. He’s happy and I can barely believe I pay less than I spend on gas to get to work to keep him with me. My other riding horse is 20 and has a plethora of minor issues and I may have 3 for a while before all is said and done…There are options but it can take a while to find them.

I wouldn’t wouldn’t rush to make any decisions right now when you feel overwhelmed and frustrated. So sorry you’re in this spot. I felt completely stuck for years honestly.

4 Likes

OP
Not to put even more or your shoulders, but have you had radiographs done of the hooves?

NPA can cause a lot of problems in other areas.

Radiographs are comparatively inexpensive and since your horse will already be at the vet, it could easily be done.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I hope you find an answer soon.

3 Likes

Already on it. It’s been an ongoing battle and is not helping. Luckily I have an amazing farrier who helps in every way he can.

1 Like

Got any room at the end of the rope? This is exactly where I am, broke frustrated, and just want to ride.

4 Likes

Sounds suspiciously like what owners of horses with PSSM type II describe. The canter is a big one. There is a Facebook group you can join, people post videos of their horses and diagnostics.

PSSM & MFM AWARENESS is the name.

Ok I went back through OP’s posts about her mare, out of curiosity (not familiar with your struggle so my previous post was literally based on your update above).

Has sciatica been discussed? I know it’s not really a common “horse” thing, but it might be worth looking at.

1 Like