Unlimited access >

BOT vs Magnetic Therapy, etc.

I did have access to a magnetic blanket for awhile, that also had a massage function. When I lost my access to it and got my Equilibrium pad, I felt that that silly little pad made a HUGE difference compared to the really ridiculously expensive magnetic thing. The magnets did nothing. It’s all about the massage feature for Tobes.

I sprained my ankle BAD 2 years ago, it was huge. Once I was out of a walking boot and could wear a smaller brace, I bought the BOT ankle brace. Huge difference in swelling and pain. Now I can’t say how much was just because of compression, but it definitely helped. I bought the socks as well afterwards because of chronic ankle pain. I have the stack wraps as well, and any time I have a horse that stocks up, I put those babies on and it pulls all the swelling down by morning, more so than traditional stack wraps in my opinion. I finally broke down and bought a sheet for my horse and my dog in the BOT clearance section at equine affair this year for 50% off each. Love their products.

There is absolutely such a thing as a placebo effect with an animal. As in, its owner imagines a beneficial effect but really there is no difference or something else is causing the animal to be different (like, a whole year has gone by and the animal is slightly different anyway because it is better muscled, has a different saddle, is fitter, has a different paddock mate that isn’t bothering it, whatever – but the animal is wearing the majikal blanket for a portion of the day and the owner attributes the benefit to the blanket instead of whatever else is going on with the animal).

Like my farrier was saying the other day, does a particular hoof oil work on thrush I am using? who knows. we can’t really know much unless I just used it on half the horse in question. I think it might be OK sort of but like I told him, it could just be the ground, drier year, luck…horse’s feet look better but…

1 Like

I got BOT for my horses because it worked on me. I live a million miles from ANYWHERE, and the nearest event is 5.5 hours away (longest that I go to is 12 hours). I’m old (late 50’s), and when I get out of my truck, I have to walk bent over for a while before I can straighten up. I got one of the BOT back braces, and when I got out of the truck, I could stand straight. I have done it with and without (forgetting it sometimes, and also forgetting I have it on), and my informal, anecdotal evidence is 100% better when I use it.

So I bought it for my horses. I have the mesh sheet, saddle pads, quick wraps, and standing wraps. I know that my horse who stocks up in the stall does so less w/ the quick wraps…and I THINK his back feels better w/ the mesh sheet. But I can only attest for sure to my own limited anecdotal experience.

http://www.backontrackproducts.com/Clinical-Studies-14.html

There have been minor studies done, granted they’re being displayed on the actual BOT website.

It’s not like people are seeing a change after a year, they’re seeing almost immediate change. BOT has saved me a ton of money in chiro bills (and I’ve essentially eliminated massage) on my gelding. Lengthens the time he can go between adjustments, and there is a significant change in his movement if I ride with a BOT pad underneath. And that’s ride to ride, visible to people who don’t know he has the pad on.

As has been said, BOT is not magnet nonsense. It’s basically heat therapy, which has been proven to work. Actual heat is being generated back, creating it’s own heating pad.

Use the BOT products…at first it was just to make me feel like I was doing something for my horse. Then I used the BOT wrap on my knee after a long run. Was amazed how much it helped. I then started using the BOT blanket on my horse more…I could really tell the difference in him after XC!

Off tangent here - but I used Bach’s Rescue Remedy after I got bitten by a dog and the blood made me shocky and faint - instant cure - everybody seems to pooh pooh the stuff, but not me, and I’m a skeptic.

I’m thinking of trying BOT on my knee.

I posted about BOT on the humans with disabilities thread. I bought a back brace to see if it worked, and to help with a lower back injury.

Rode without it one day, working on a collected canter. I was in the hospital the next, barely able to walk. Spoke to the doctor, showed him the brace, and he told me to never ride without it until we figure out what is happening. In his field and work he has seen ceramic work. Because of the simple fact that it keeps your muscles warm and loose.

5 days after not being able to walk, I was running and riding again. I had an over fences lesson, should have destroyed myself, but I wore my brace and while I wasn’t without pain, I was 95% better then the ride before. Went to see physio. She said the exact same thing. Spoke to a couple other medical people. They all said ceramic was not a placebo. So, going to go with the experts on this one :wink: And even if it is one, I quite frankly don’t care. It works.

My 9 year old Doberman will be getting a jacket.

1 Like

Hello, do you have experiences with this company? I am considering buying PEMF device myself so, If you have some experiences, should I stick with this company, or should I go with some other one?

@Hannah2 You might want to start a new post with PEMF in the title as this one is from 2016 and is about Back on Track and similar products, so you aren’t likely to get people with PEMF experience checking/contributing to it.

IMHO the most popular PEMF devices for use on horses are those from Pulse Equine and Magnawave. I have Pulse Equine equipment and I am very happy with it. I’ve never seen equipment by the company you linked, so can’t really comment. If you are going to be using it in a barn, durability and ruggedness are important. Equipment for humans will likely not stand up well to the dust, hair, and abuse it will experience in a barn/equine environment.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to find the study but I saw a presentation at ESS meetings about “ceramic infused” blankets (BOT mesh sheet), a normal fly sheet, maybe a stable sheet?? and an unblanketed horse. They basically found that the BOT mesh sheet is the same as a fly sheet after looking at skin temp, internal body temp, and I think they did some thermographic images as well? Don’t quote me, I can’t find the bloody abstract to save my life.

Long story - first study done didn’t find any significant differences but I still own one so… I don’t know what that says about me.