Unlimited access >

Braiding tips for recognized show

You want to get a blunt needle with a big eye on it. You can buy packs of “braiding needles” from a tack shop, but I’m sure there are cheaper options from sewing supplies. Just don’t use a plastic one–worthless.

And then you will need waxed thread in the color you want for your mane. If the ends are not too blunt cut, I don’t bother with tucking the tail up and wrapping around like in this video, just go through the end with the thread a couple of times. If you’ve blunt cut the mane, then it can be hard to braid all the way to the bottom and you may have extra hair you’d want to tuck out of the way.

Here is the video I used to teach myself. I got my needles from the local Michaels. You can do this style with an un-pulled, slightly uneven mane and it will look just fine.

This is a great video! Nearly what I do, except I tie it so there’s one strand of yarn and alternate sides instead of having two pieces that both go around, but I’m definitely trying this for our next HT.

That’s so smart to preload the needles! How long do you typically cut your thread?

This X1,000. I really suck at braiding and my OTTB is only so tolerant even in the best of times. I would braid down and band first thing in the am then let him eat, or lunge him or whenever. Then right before my class I would roll them up and go. Rolling them up took MAYBE 5 minutes to do his whole mane. And that’s with me making sure they are dang near perfect.

I tried bands, I tried sewing in with yarn and waxed thread, I’ve tried pulled manes, thick manes, short manes and everything in-between. These handy little paperclips just make everything easier. Might be a good option for wiggly horses?

ETA picture - you can’t even tell they aren’t sewn in.

2 Likes

Maybe about a foot or so? Any longer and they tangle. I can usually get 2-3 braids out of one needle but I like to have them ready.

1 Like

Similar to the Quick Knots idea, but much cheaper: Bobby pins. Not the flat metal wrinkle kind but the long, slender U shaped ones. I braid and rubber band a section of mane. Roll up the braid and pinch tightly, push a bobby pin up thru bottom/center of the rosette, out the backside, and open/bend down branch of pin on each side of the braid. My horse’s mane is black, so a pack of Bobby pins from the beauty supply is $1.50 for 50 pins, which can be reused many times before being discarded.

3 Likes

Here’s a link to the video I learned the above method from. You can skip ahead to the 7 minute mark to skip the entire braiding process and just watch the Bobby pinning part:

5 Likes

I use waxed thread and braid down like hunter braids but with fewer & tighten them high up. My guy also stands still which is a plus. These were done the night before and still look ok!

2 Likes

Yes, do the Hunter method of braiding in with yarn and just make them fatter. Yarn braided braids will easily stay in all day long.

So I am also showing with my other horse this weekend - I’m bringing them on alternating days so I’m not outnumbered by my horses.

I think I might practice sewing in braids on him. He’s very calm and perfectly happy to stand very still for as long as I need him to while I braid.

He goes late in the day on Saturday, but I kind of want to test sewing in braids overnight. I definitely have PLENTY of time if I was to braid him and sew them in tomorrow before his ride.

Should I put them in tonight and see how they last under a sleezy? Or just do it tomorrow morning?

They should be fine overnight under a Sleazy.

1 Like