Unlimited access >

Braiding

i found the Lucky Braids video very useful when I went back to braiding after a long absence, she has a number of good tips. I also found a video simply called Braiding Techniques very good. But as everyone already said OP, practice is what is needed to do show quality braids, put in half a dozen braids every day when you go to the barn. The more time you can spend braiding the stronger your fingers will get.

3 Likes

While every facility can have its own required vaccines and it’s a good idea to get the EHV-1 vaccine, just fyi there is no vaccine available for the neurological form of EHV-1 (EHM) which is what killed the horses in California.

(Hope I don’t sound preachy here - I’m just on the west coast and went down a research rabbit hole when this all started)

1 Like

Not “preachy” at all! I should have closely investigated the identity of the vaccines that the vet gave that day, what was told to me was that it was “vaccinations”. I did not ask exactly which vaccines, I trusted that the vet would give those vaccines that were currently being recommended/advised/neccessary. My mistake. It was a “ship in” situation, in freezing cold/driving rain/sleet, with two horses, and no stabling- in the parking lot. And I haven’t shown at a recognized show in several years (thus was ignorant of rule changes), and I keep my horses at home and show alone, no “coach” looking after me. When the show manager heard that the horse had, in fact, been vaccinated, and that all we needed to do was get the “proof” of this from the vet clinic (this was done for quite a few of the show entries who had not brought “proof” of vaccination), she thought it would all be fine, that the EHV would have been included as it had been sent out by the veterinary association that this was now necessary. But I was not as sure, knowing my area. Turned out I was right, it was not included. Am going to have to ship back up to the vet clinic, and get the EHV vaccination done, even if it does not give protection for the form of the virus that hit that California show. If i want to show at recognized shows this year.

Oh absolutely! It’s always good to have the vaccination. EHV-1 turns into EHM about 5% of the time I think (they don’t know why) so while EHV-1 is basically a cold and is super common anything you can do to reduce your horses chance of getting it also then reduces your chance of EHM.

Good luck with your showing plans this year!

Honestly, it doesn’t translate well. Hunter braids are a whole different thing. IMO, they are way harder.

My opinion.

1 Like

@NancyM make sure you get Influenza done as well if it wasn’t already. EHV (1 and 4) and Influenza vaccines are required by Equestrian Canada within 6 months (+21 day grace period) of arrival at a competition.

This is an EC rule for competing, it was just implemented in 2020. It has nothing to do with veterinary associations, and I wouldn’t expect a vet to know this. These vaccines are still considered risk based vaccines for most of the population. For many farms they are given with the core vaccines anyway due to higher risks such as competing, clinics, training and sales horses moving on and off property, etc.

I “presume” that flu was one of the mix of “vaccinations” that were given. But there I go “presuming” again LOL. I’ll check, for sure. Thanks.

1 Like

I never said they were the same thing or easier/harder… I recommended basics that apply to any type of singular braids - straight parting, use of Quicbraid/gel. I specifically didn’t say anything about the method of braiding, lest I insult a hunter braider who interprets my post as hunters having any similarities with eventers. :joy:

I would definitely take a closer look at what vaccinations your horse got and make sure there isn’t anything else it should have had that is missing. With my vet, they give it as part of a 5 way, so I’d be deeply concerned if they hadn’t gotten the required-for-showing EHV, because it would mean they also hadn’t gotten several other things that are a real concern in this area.

You said this:

Which I responded to.

1 Like

lol my trainer asked me to stop!

Unless doing hunter braids include crooked parts and slippery hair, it sounds like the basic principles I mention translate over pretty well. :woman_shrugging:t3: But hey, if you want to be petty for the sake of being petty, have at it. No idea why you’re targeting me here.

The plaiting down part uses the same principles as other braids, although hunter braids are much smaller and tighter. But they are tied up quite differently than buttons of any kind, which is another skill to master.

2 Likes

Yep, exactly why I didn’t say anything about tying them up. :slightly_smiling_face:

I find plaits much harder, but it’s all in what you’re used to. I’m not a pro, but my hunter braids have gone to Devon and indoors. My plaits stay home. :wink:

A bit of a shame we were in the wrong discipline for me to get good at plaits, because my horse has the right neck for it.

Boyd Martin’s facebook page just posted a braiding tutorial. That braider used a wrap technique I’ve never seen before - I saved the video so I can give it a try next time I’m bored and have spare time.

2 Likes

I can’t find it. Is there a link?

1 Like

https://www.facebook.com/BoydMartinEventing/videos/972243920125519/?sfnsn=mo

2 Likes

That is an odd technique.

1 Like

I saw this on Tiktok and also saved to try it. I liked the end result a lot.

1 Like