Breast Cancer Diagnosis

I am thinking of you a lot. I know barnfuls of survivors, always good news. Most of my clients who had BC were able to work, with a somewhat adjusted schedule to accommodate chemo. Its important to keep on working to give you something else to think about. Sometimes the scheduled chemo doesn’t happen on schedule because of the quirky things our body does, and its helpful to go right back to work instead of staying home worrying.

My husband can’t drive either so I know what that is like. He is probably so scared inside right now and feeling very helpless. Remember, men like to fix things quickly and he can’t fix this. Glad your daughter is around.

Hugs.

Just wanted to add my name to the list of BC survivors, in case you are taking a head count. 16 years ago, estrogen negative, clean margins - lumpectomy and all the lymph nodes on that side (pre-sentinel days). Radiation only, I opted not to go the chemo route based on the odds.

I worked every day through the whole 6 weeks of radiation, they did give me Thanksgiving weekend off, as I had some pretty spectacular radiation burns by that time.

I’m a firm believer that a positive attitude is a big factor in healing.

Wishing you all the best!

I am also a BC survivor - 6 years out.
Stage 2, grade 3, er -, pr - , her 2neu +++.
Chemo, Mast with reconstruction, 1 year of
herceptin.
I bought a wig for when my hair came out and never used
it. I used do-rags and caps the whole time.
My horse was absolutely fascinated by my bald head. He would
knock whatever I was wearing off as soon as he saw me and
proceed to lick my head :lol: I think he was sorry to see it grow back. I have to say that the gray disappeared for several years and I still have a curl - I used to have straight as an arrow hair. It came back in pin curls.
Anyway, good luck. The chemo drugs are wonderful these days - be sure to ask about neulasta to improve your blood work numbers. You can learn to give it yourself the day after chemo.

Your shaved head is amazingly slippery. Also your helmet won’t fit right without something else on your head. Try finding a store that specializes in stuff for people going through chemo.They will have all kinds of cool stuff. I found a soft knit skull cap with a bandana sewn on it. Looked normal, provided coverage and fit perfectly under my helmet. Just wearing a bandana was too slippery, it just wouldn’t stay on my head. You should be able to continue working and riding just take things slowly and rest when you need to.

If you’re not a wig girl (which I wasn’t either- too scratchy!), then I’m willing to bet you’ll love these things: http://www.rei.com/product/691367/buff-original-buff

A few days before I started chemo, I took myself on a shopping spree to REI and bought a ton of soft, fuzzy hats (it was fall- winter for me, too), but I also found those Buff headscarfs I got were what I wore more than anything else. They’re basically just fabric tubes. You pull them over your head and then tuck the tube end under at the nape of your neck and they look just like a scarf only without the bulk or slippage. They come in all colors and patterns, fit under a riding helmet and, while they’re not the cheapest, they’re SO worth it. I wore them everywhere, because my head felt too cold when I walked around totally bald…it’s a weird feeling that takes some getting used to. If you PM me your address, I’d love to send you a little care package of some of my caps and Buffs.

I also lost some friends that I never thought would abandon me during a time like cancer, but other people came out of the woodwork and stepped up to the plate and surprised me. You’ll appreciate those people so very, very much.

And yes, get your teeth checked and cleaned prior to chemo if you have time. Also, and I swear by this, brush your teeth and rinse with 2/3 baking soda and 1/3 salt mixed with warm water after every meal or snack. I never had mouth sores and I’m convinced it was because I was maniacal about my oral hygiene.

Send me your address if you’re game. I’d love to help in what small way I can.

[QUOTE=aboesche;5750078]
And yes, get your teeth checked and cleaned prior to chemo if you have time. Also, and I swear by this, brush your teeth and rinse with 2/3 baking soda and 1/3 salt mixed with warm water after every meal or snack. I never had mouth sores and I’m convinced it was because I was maniacal about my oral hygiene.[/QUOTE]

I just cleaned and flossed my teeth as usual and didn’t get any sores. My dentist gave me some stuff for dry mouth and I didn’t need to use that either. I did get the metallic taste in my mouth for a week or so each month and found that lemonade tasted better than anything.

A bandana under my Tipperary worked just fine for me.

Due to a bunch of construction on campus, parking was at a premium, and it was a bear for me the first couple of days back after a chemo infusion, when I worked half days and came in late, after all the close parking was filled. I asked my oncologist if she’d give me a handicapped parking permit so I wouldn’t have to park far away and walk too far. She said of course, and that she was glad I was working; too many women just “stay home and feel sorry for themselves”. Did I mention that my oncologist was blunt??

You haven’t mentioned what kind of work you do, but if it isn’t too physical, you should be able to work some at least. The normalcy of it will really help. Just keeping moving will help; I found if I was too sedentary, I would not sleep well and it just became a viscious cycle of fatigue. It really was only the one week out of three that I didn’t feel fairly normal.

Anyhow–continued good recovery from the surgery, and keep your chin up for the rest of it!

Checking in on you, OP.
A big gold earring will finish off the bald look, you’ll look like Mr Clean.
Go with cotton bandanas, the silk ones slip.
Soft peppermints help with the icky stomach.
Take care of yourself and let us know if we can do anything for you.

A big gold earring will finish off the bald look, you’ll look like Mr Clean.

A sense of humor helps…being on the fluffy side I looked more like Uncle Fester from the Adams Family. :lol: I hope you’re doing ok.

Jnel, I didn’t want to go there, but you are absolutely right!
An added note, I had a really close friend disappear when I got sick, and I’ve been thinking about people i barely knew who came and worked at my barn, rode my horses, drove me around, brought me food. You will find out how much good there is in people.
Where are you OP? What area?

Why does nobody talk about the link between oral contraception and breast cancer ?

Because THEY REALLY SHOULD, unless we want our children to go through this disease. It is no accident that the breast cancer figures rose when contraception became freely available.

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/81/10/1290.full.pdf

Best wishes to you!

[QUOTE=jnel;5752025]
A sense of humor helps…being on the fluffy side I looked more like Uncle Fester from the Adams Family. :lol: I hope you’re doing ok.[/QUOTE]

Dear, and oh so sympathetic, Mr Akro loved the fact that I had less hair than him for a change :wink: Some women look great with the bald look - I am not one of them, lol.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;5752586]
Why does nobody talk about the link between oral contraception and breast cancer ?

Because THEY REALLY SHOULD, unless we want our children to go through this disease. It is no accident that the breast cancer figures rose when contraception became freely available.

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/81/10/1290.full.pdf[/QUOTE]

Because the drug companies don’t want that news to get out. I agree, I think it is a contributing factor.

Once again thank you everyone!! Your support brings me much comfort!

I have thought about the birth control pills…I have not had any for almost 15 yrs. but did have them off and on for about 20 yrs.

I have also wondered about the artificial sweetners I have used most of my life.

I work from home mostly and have a pet grooming business. I cannot take on an employee. It can be very phsyical work. I also work off part of my horse board. My dughter and husband do help w/ that.

I also am a full time care-giver to a handicapped woman who resides w/us. She can be very difficult as she has many mental health issues as well. She has been at respite care for the past month and returns in 2 weeks. I will have used up my annual respite very shortly. She does go to a day program 5 hours Mon.-Fri. which gives me a break…that is usually when I do my grooming.

If I cannot make a living the former owner of my mare has offered to take her to her farm and keep her for me until I can get on my feet again. I would just miss her terribly…but at least know I do not have to sell her.

Thank you & hugs to you all!!

C4

The scoop from the Dr.: First they forgot yet again to run the test on what kind of cancer I had, (HER2 test).

It is not a common cancer whatever it is. I need a CAT scan of my whole torso to see if I have any cancer in other organs.

Once they find out what kind of cancer I had… if Her2 negative I get 12 weeks of chemo. If I am Her2 positive I get 16 wks. of chemo + a full year of another chemo…either way radiation to follow.

The onacologist does not think I will be able to work the week of treatment, (will be every 3 weeks). So hopefully I can work 2 out of 3 weeks…may really have to send my horse away :frowning:

This just keeps getting better…not.

Right now I feel GREAT, strong…this feels like I am trapped in a nightmare!!

C4

Well, crap. How the hell do they forget to test twice?!
I had to have a PET scan. Scared me to death but all was ok.
When are they doing the CAT scan? I hope soon and you get good results. This is the worst part. Once you know everything, things settle down and you concentrate on fighting!
Keep us posted. Where do you live? I wish you could keep your horse close to you, she will be a big asset.
Hugs.

Sheesh, they forgot? What are they thinking of? oh wait, they are not! I am so sorry because I know it is so hard to wait for results… Keeping my fingers crossed for you still.

I really hope you can keep your horse close to you, but if you have to send him/her to his/her former owner, please (not to scare you, but I have read enough stories on Coth to be careful), make sure everything is documented, that you are only sending her back while you are unwell, that she is your horse and even state an amount/month that you will pay for her care. Protect yourself, no matter how confident you are of the person looking after her.

I truly hope you can keep her because it would be wonderful for your morale!

Speaking from experience - you will not know what you can do until you try. I was prepared for all kinds of nastiness and inconvenience. It worked out that I was in the barn 1 week after mastectomy, following my regular routine. I would also go do chemo and then go for Mexican food that evening. I was probably not on the same routine as you will be, but the point is, don’t expect the worst, you just never realize what you are capable of until you do it. My horses knew something was up and behaved impeccably. The 17h Holst carried me like an egg. Do not give up the comfort and kind support that your horse can offer.

Thinking of you C4.
These ladies are BC surviviors, My mom is a BC survivor…you will be too.

If you are super worried about losing your hair, try pengiun cold caps. They do work. And also if you havent already, check out the american cancer society. They have ways to help.

I have to have a double mast. with recon done in october. I am fortunate that it is prophylactic due to preC cells. :frowning: I have been wondering when I will be able to ride as well. I have a green bean so I am considering when i feel better to just take some lessons on a old plug schoolie… just to get my fix.

cyber huggs