Unlimited access >

Bridleless riding and the general horse public

[QUOTE=UsualDreamFarm;7469635]
Does anybody replying actually use dressage? I fail to see how checking if a horse can hold himself in collection in the arena has anything to do with riding willy-nilly down the road with a neckrope. This is exactly why I don’t post videos on youtube and why I don’t want a ton of people to see my riding. Forgive me for the title, I just thought that general public sounded simpler than “riders around second- fourth level looking to try a collection exercise with their horse that they haven’t yet and would rather not ride in rolkur frame.” I am not looking to encourage uneducated idiots to find new and creative ways to hurt themselves. They can do that just fine with a bridle on at another barn. To be honest, I’m starting to regret posting this at all. If I had known a bunch of folks would try and put down my life’s work from behind the safety of their keyboards without the courtesy of looking me in the eye, I wouldn’t have put this up in the first place. I was looking for feedback on how to go about taking on a couple of students at my little tiny barn, not to be told I’m some new-age hippy.[/QUOTE]

Don’t get your back up because you don’t like some of the answers.
Use them to learn more about what else is out there to consider, some that may apply to what you want to do, some that may not, but may at some time come into consideration.

General knowledge doesn’t has a plus or minus sign by it unless you put that there after you have given it a careful thought.:yes:

In a few words, be glad you got some more to think about this.:wink:

[QUOTE=Bluey;7469845]

Use them to learn more about what else is out there to consider, some that may apply to what you want to do, some that may not, but may at some time come into consideration.

General knowledge doesn’t has a plus or minus sign by it unless you put that there after you have given it a careful thought.:yes:

In a few words, be glad you got some more to think about this.;)[/QUOTE]

Good point Bluey. Thank you for the post.

Wirt, I think I must not have made myself clear. My first paragraph re: snowballs down the hill, I thought erroneously, would get the idea across. I’ll try again. The OP appears to have a clue, but wants to teach. Ok. Fair enough. But when an idea to do something that is potentially very dangerous gets into the wrong heads, things can snowball. What if one of her students decides to do some of his/her own teaching and is not as proficient as the OP? Then the student of the student? And on down the hill… Sooner or later you wind up with those of “the general public” and I deal with many of those people every day, and I tell you - sometimes it is scary. Maybe I’m just in a different spot, because of what I deal with all the time, but I’m not trying to insult anyone, certainly not the OP.

The “general public” can’t ride in a boxcar with the door shut even with the horse wearing a stock saddle, draw reins, chambon and 10cc of Ace. :wink:

I’d introduce them to going it “bridleless” the day after they get their first 70 at Prix St. Georges . . . :lol:

It’ll keep the negligent homicide charges to a dull roar.

LE - who, exactly, are you referring to as “the general public”?

Your post comes across as superior and insulting.

[QUOTE=UsualDreamFarm;7469635]
Does anybody replying actually use dressage? I fail to see how checking if a horse can hold himself in collection in the arena has anything to do with riding willy-nilly down the road with a neckrope. This is exactly why I don’t post videos on youtube and why I don’t want a ton of people to see my riding. Forgive me for the title, I just thought that general public sounded simpler than “riders around second- fourth level looking to try a collection exercise with their horse that they haven’t yet and would rather not ride in rolkur frame.” I am not looking to encourage uneducated idiots to find new and creative ways to hurt themselves. They can do that just fine with a bridle on at another barn. To be honest, I’m starting to regret posting this at all. If I had known a bunch of folks would try and put down my life’s work from behind the safety of their keyboards without the courtesy of looking me in the eye, I wouldn’t have put this up in the first place. I was looking for feedback on how to go about taking on a couple of students at my little tiny barn, not to be told I’m some new-age hippy.[/QUOTE]

I think, if you re-read your original post, you would see many of our points.

As for me, I do “use” dressage. As an European, I would not even know, how to train a horse for riding without it.

Also, I try to take a great care so that anything I type on the COTH, I would be ready and willing to tell the addressee in the “real life” conversation. I believe, most other COTHers are the same, even the more “abrasive” ones.

I think, you would have been better off, if you shared in the beginning that you were interested in more advanced students (that is not general public).

You can even try to reword and repost on the dressage forum, since dressage riders are your true target audience. Let them tell you, how they would be willing to accept your services.

Furthermore, there is an online group called something like “the art of natural dressage.” Look them up. You might find someone interested there, who lives close by.

I do not know, how much you have read this board before you joined. I was a long time lurker, so I know, that one of the last persons discussed here, who was habitually using cordeo, was Mr. Alexander Nevzorov himself and that was just about right before he definitely switched his horses to Latin. :rolleyes:

I looked into him, but he lost me at that point for good (and I do understand, where he was originally coming from- knowing, how new Russians butcher horses and all).